Author Topic: Where Does Your Collection Reside?  (Read 47944 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Where Does Your Collection Reside?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 01:09 PM »
My collection resides in my appropriately named "Star Wars Room". 

Yes, I am one of the nerdy ones who has a whole room in his house dedicated to his toys.  The room is on the lower level of the house (not really a basement since it's a walk-out).  The room is about 12x12 with a bunch of shelf units and a display table or two or three.

My wife and I have an arrangement - as long as it is "mostly" contained in that room, there is no problem with the collection.  Once it outgrows the room though...  :-\

About once every other month, I have to do some suffling of the display shelves to make room for the newer figures and rotate some things out of the closet, but it works pretty well.  One of these days I will have to get off my lazy butt and take some pictures of the dang thing.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 01:57 PM »
That sux… imagine all the SW goodies you could buy with that $1500 buck :-\

At least they are in a safe place…

Do you go a visit them every once and a while? :P

I usually do a monthly visit just to make sure everything's kosher and to ensure no avalanches or anything of that nature has happened.  I actually get quite disgusted with the amount of boxes I have.  - I never thought I could have too much crap, but I'm far beyond that point now.

My collection resides in my appropriately named "Star Wars Room". 

Yes, I am one of the nerdy ones who has a whole room in his house dedicated to his toys.  The room is on the lower level of the house (not really a basement since it's a walk-out).  The room is about 12x12 with a bunch of shelf units and a display table or two or three.

Jeff has an awesome set up and it made me think twice about leaving all my stuff carded and boxed.  You really need to post a pic of your room Jeff, I know we all enjoyed it (the MN crew that is)   ;)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 8, 2007, 04:02 PM »
Just thought I'd bump this up again for any new comments.  I've been looking into this again, as we prepare for the new baby on the way this summer.  As we've completed her room, and this past weekend having a shower, I'm realizing how much space this baby stuff takes up :).  My wife has always been ok as long as the collection stays in one room (our office), and doesn't venture out of there too much.  Now she's seeing the closet (where my vehicles, Marvel Legends, and a couple of rubbermaids filled with "Star Wars crap" reside), and thinking "we could sure use that space".  I don't know if we'll need it or not, and if we do, I'll certainly clear out - but it is hard finding room for everything at this point.  I don't really venture too far out of the basic figure line (figures, vehicles, beasts, etc.), and after 8-10 years of that, there sure is a lot of stuff to find room for (not to mention "other" stuff like Marvel and Spidey).

Do any of you display just "part" of your collection, and have the rest packed away?  I'm thinking about going this way, just to free up some space.  Granted, I'll have to find space to store it, but as far as displaying things it is starting to get tighter.  How many figures (or items) do you think you have on display in your respective rooms/basements/etc.?  Right now, I think I have the majority of my stuff on display, aside from a couple of vehicles, older POTF2/Saga figures that we've gotten better versions of, and my vintage figure collection.  I've also packed away anything that I don't collect anymore (a few Hasbro 12", miscellaneous "other" lines, etc.).  I'm just trying to figure out what to display.  My wife has often said "why have it if its packed away", and I have to kind of agree with that.  She think I should sell/get rid of some of it (especially if I'm not displaying it), but I don't know if I want to do that just yet.  Anyways, where does your collection reside these days?  Also, when are you going to give us a look at your collection room Jeff?  From the comments, it sounds pretty nice. :)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 8, 2007, 05:20 PM »
At my Momma's house in a spare room which is wall to wall maxed out. My Bro and I make trips there to offload/set-up our collection in the room 3-4 times a year. Up to that point several items stockpile at my home until I can move them to 'their home base' in a large shipment.

the amount of partipation on the collection goes as follows

Zachmoe- 15% or less of actual finds/buys; 65-70% funding
The DS  - 85% actual stuff found/purhcased; 30-35% actual funding

In other years role responsibilties as far as collecting goes reversed or varied.

I'm in a situation now where I have to ask myself and brother wether to pull and box all the POTF2,EP1,POTJ,EP2,SAGA,OTC & post to make way for more modern lines like EP3,TSC,30AC and so on to display instead. 

DS

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 8, 2007, 09:21 PM »
Much of my basement is taken up with SW.  My stairwells, have a bunch of carded and autographed 8X10's. (stariwells are great usually unused space for things like posters, figs(in protective cases), photos)

An upstairs bedroom is filled with stuff, upstairs hallway is also lined with figs, mid-level family room is filled with busts, vintage figs, and other stuff.  Attic is filled with stuff in storage, and my garage (gasp, yes, but no where else to put it all) has my vintage arcade game, figures, store dsiplays, and some other stuff.

http://www.photobucket.com  enter bobafett14 to search

Nice to see another George Romero fan on the board. Lucky you got to see the LOTD premiere. I tried to win tickets to that (and would of flown out) but I didn't.
I remember my dream now.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #20 on: May 9, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Mine is all in the basement. Half out and half in the crawl space  :'(

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #21 on: June 4, 2007, 12:36 PM »
I've got a Star Wars room, but I have just expanded into the TV room as well. I just got done putting in a bunch of big display cases, but I still have to do the lighting before I can put toys in.

Judging from people's responses in this thread and in the pictures, I'm not the only one with toys in the TV room....but it's not the "norm" either.
Got Clones?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 4, 2007, 10:37 PM »
I've got my own room in the basement, and I'm lucky for it to be a pretty good size too, about 12' x 12'.  I made a comment to my wife about expanding beyond my SW room, but that got cut off pretty quickly.  She said something about kicking my ass, or something like that.  ;)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 4, 2007, 11:49 PM »
   Dedicated Star Wars rooms?!? Dedicated Star Wars basements?!? You guys are very lucky. My Star Wars collection currently resides in my bedroom. Unfortunatly, it has become more of a situation where I happen to sleep in my Star Wars room (If I can find space, that is)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 5, 2007, 12:43 AM »
   Dedicated Star Wars rooms?!? Dedicated Star Wars basements?!? You guys are very lucky.

You're damn right we're lucky.  But it was a condition of the wedding ring I gave my wife.  ;)

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 5, 2007, 01:53 PM »
I have 2 Detolfs and 2 small shelves in the bedroom, 2 small shelves in the bathroom and a huge shelf in my living room. And as of right now about 50-60% of my collection is still in storage. Once I get another detolf for the bedroom that should help me get about another 10% in to the open...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 8, 2007, 12:36 AM »
Mine's in the bedroom as well.  When the girlfriend and I started looking for a place to buy, my only requirement was a second room that the toys and maybe my computer could go in.

She fell in love with the loft that we have now, despite there only being one larger main room, and one bedroom.  So the toys are in the bedroom.

And after 3 and a half years, I'm ready for them to be out of the bedroom - but we're going to live in this place for at least another year, probably more like 3 more years.  Even with the 12' ceilings I'm running out of room - mainly because of 3 enormous windows consuming most of one wall, and the bedroom and bathroom doors taking up  a lot of another.

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Where Does Your Collection Reside? (Ignore)
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 12:20 PM »
Please ignore- see next post
Sorry!
Oboewan
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 12:32 PM by Oboewan »
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 12:28 PM »
Mine's in the bedroom as well.  When the girlfriend and I started looking for a place to buy, my only requirement was a second room that the toys and maybe my computer could go in.

She fell in love with the loft that we have now, despite there only being one larger main room, and one bedroom.  So the toys are in the bedroom.

And after 3 and a half years, I'm ready for them to be out of the bedroom - but we're going to live in this place for at least another year, probably more like 3 more years.  Even with the 12' ceilings I'm running out of room - mainly because of 3 enormous windows consuming most of one wall, and the bedroom and bathroom doors taking up  a lot of another.

Windows are overrated- just put some shelving units in front of them!   You don't want the sunlight to come in anyways!   As for me, I have a 2 br condo and as you might suspect have the second (smaller) bedroom dedicated to my disease.   Initially, I was going to designate the master br for my Star Wars room but thought better of it.   My ROTS figures are pegged to the top of the wall and go around the entire room.   I have a detolf as the centerpiece of the room topped by my LEGO Death Star, 4 long stand alone shelves along one wall, a Lawyers bookcase, 2 regular bookcase (brown and white) and another glass display case that's like the detolf.  My walk in closet is filled with boxes, more boxes and even more boxes.   My room has my complete set of carded POTJ figures on the wall, and the top of my dresser will eventually be the home of my LEGO Star Destroyer.   I'm actually in the process of deboxing/decarding stuff and have decided to verify that I have 1 loose figure of everything up to OTC and then will sell whatever carded figures are left (EP1, POTF2, POTJ, SAGA).  I have one huge display case in the living room and there is quite a bit of spillage out of the SW Room.  My FX Sabers are on the wall in the hall just outsite the room (and I still have 4 to put up once I get the Yoda).   I still haven't fully integrated the stash from CIV yet and there is SW stuff EVERYWHERE currently.    It's getting to feel like I live at my GF townhouse and use my condo to store my Star Wars stuff  ::)

Oboewan
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 07:45 PM by JesseVader08 »
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 09:33 AM »
Since my last posting, my mother-in-law has moved in now resides in my office, so sadly, my collection is sitting in various storage tubs spread out in closets around the house. :(
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."