Author Topic: Where Does Your Collection Reside?  (Read 47960 times)

Offline Astro Galaxy

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Astro Galaxy
Re: Where Does Your Collection Reside?
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2008, 08:01 AM »
I've just done up my collection in room few months ago.
It used to be a study room but I shifted all the books out to the living room,
to make space for Star Wars and other collectibles.
But now it quite messy again... :o :o
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 08:08 AM by Astro Galaxy »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2009, 11:57 AM »
Just thought I'd bump this up to see if anyone has changed/finished their collection rooms, selling stuff off to be able to display more, or any other changes.  I continue to have some problems with display.  Like I've mentioned before, everything is pretty much confined to our office, and it is getting to the point where I'm going to have to start packing (more) stuff up.

I usually hate to have a collection stored away, because if I paid for it, I'd like to have it on display.  If I stuck to just Star Wars, I'd probably be able to display most of it - but its the other stuff (the 6" Marvel Legends/DCUC figures in particular) that really starts to eat up space.  I'm looking at packing some of those types of things away (maybe just leaving the "big names" out for a display), or downsizing/packing up a lot more stuff to have a little "neater" looking display.  I have a few more SW maquettes that are just stored in boxes right now, and I'd like to be able to display those.  The SW vehicles sort of pose a problem with space as well.  I've thought about limiting it to just OT vehicles, making display easier, but there seems to be a lot of nice stuff out/coming out from the PT/CW lines as well.  Anyways, just curious if anyone else is having to store more stuff - or if you're able to have most everything on display?  Also, do you always intend to have most to all displayed "down the road" - and that's why so many of us just have it stored away in totes and boxes?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2009, 12:58 PM »
95ish% of my collection has been in storage since 05 so I've been having to pay that damned "collector fee" every month since I simply don't have the room with my current living arrangements for everything.  I still have tons of space in there so I've been continuously feeding it with more and more crap every few months.  I'd prefer not to be collecting this way, but there's nothing I can do about it for a few more years and I can't just quit cold turkey on everything.  I really miss the day when my collection could fit into one room, but that was back in 2002 - so I'm sure I'd easily need three to four times as much space to display everything I've amassed since then. 

Ideally I'd like to go in and eliminate probably 75% of my carded/boxed collection and just open everything else, but that's a massive undertaking and I'm just not sure when I could find the time to do that....That's just talking Star Wars - nothing about Transformers, Joes, M.A.S.K., Macfarlane, and LEGO.  fun fun.....ugh..
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2009, 04:44 PM »
95ish% of my collection has been in storage since 05 so I've been having to pay that damned "collector fee" every month since I simply don't have the room with my current living arrangements for everything.  I still have tons of space in there so I've been continuously feeding it with more and more crap every few months.  I'd prefer not to be collecting this way, but there's nothing I can do about it for a few more years and I can't just quit cold turkey on everything.  I really miss the day when my collection could fit into one room, but that was back in 2002 - so I'm sure I'd easily need three to four times as much space to display everything I've amassed since then. 

Ideally I'd like to go in and eliminate probably 75% of my carded/boxed collection and just open everything else, but that's a massive undertaking and I'm just not sure when I could find the time to do that....That's just talking Star Wars - nothing about Transformers, Joes, M.A.S.K., Macfarlane, and LEGO.  fun fun.....ugh..

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Mikey OPEN toys. There has to be only 1 or 2 more signs before the APOCALYPSE arrives!!!!
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2009, 05:24 PM »
I want to know where the remaining 5% is hiding.  5% of Mikes colelction is still enough to fill a room.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2009, 03:40 PM »
I want to know where the remaining 5% is hiding.  5% of Mikes colelction is still enough to fill a room.   ;)

I have that 5% with me.  Lets see.....I have all of my boxed Alternators including my Takara MPs plus various universe/animated figs.  20-30 LEGO sets, half all of the carded & loose 25th Joes and vehicles including army builders and dup vehicles.  BMF, 2 AT-TE's, various OT/Prequel vehicles hanging around.  I'd throw in my 1500 or so DVDs but they just don't count.  So ya - I'd say that's 5% of my collection or pretty darned close to it though I'm kinda lost as to how much weight all of the Hasbro SW line has to this stuff.   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2009, 07:02 PM »

I have that 5% with me. 

Seriously?  You carry these around everywhere?   ???

;)
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2009, 04:24 PM »

I have that 5% with me. 

Seriously?  You carry these around everywhere?   ???

;)

I gave him some boxes for some of his in package collection and the boxes were in his car for 3 months. So it is entirely possible that he has something in his vehicle that haven't made it into the house. He just doesn't have the reason for not bringing stuff into the house that we do Justin; THE WIFE!!!
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2009, 11:48 AM »

I have that 5% with me. 

Seriously?  You carry these around everywhere?   ???

;)

I gave him some boxes for some of his in package collection and the boxes were in his car for 3 months. So it is entirely possible that he has something in his vehicle that haven't made it into the house. He just doesn't have the reason for not bringing stuff into the house that we do Justin; THE WIFE!!!

Yah - I need to build a secret underground tunnel to the Star Wars room one of these days or get a comfier sofa to sleep on.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:48 AM by JediJman »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2009, 12:46 PM »
I did an overhaul of the office/collection room this weekend, and ended up packing a lot of stuff away as well.  There is just too much to display anymore, especially without looking like the walls are coming in on you.  I try to avoid a "cluttered" look too, so that makes it more challenging.  I know that I don't have nearly the collections that many or most people here do, but I'm still having to pack stuff up.  It seems like, after nearly 15 years of modern collecting (plus "other" lines) there is just so much crap piled up :).  The figures aren't a big problem, but the vehicles are a little more difficult to find room for.  That's why I've often thought about sticking to OT vehicles only, but then they have to make spiffy things like the AT-TE, Juggernaut, and ARC 170 (as well as the smaller vehicles I enjoy like Obi's Delta 2, V-19, V-Wing, etc.).  I have a feeling, especially as our daughter gets older, more and more of this stuff is going to be packed away or sold.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2009, 08:34 PM »
No disrespect intended, but the packing stuff away is so dumb. If you cannot display it, sell it. I really want to get my collection slimmed down by a lot, but I cannot get past the whole "this goes with this, which also goes with this, and these go with this, which I love." I have a hard time keeping just the piece I love and getting rid of the fluff.

Lastly, to keep on topic, my collection resides in my bedroom. I sleep in the bonus room. My mom is thrilled by this, but with my brother at college, I can afford to do this. 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2009, 10:15 PM »
I gave him some boxes for some of his in package collection and the boxes were in his car for 3 months. So it is entirely possible that he has something in his vehicle that haven't made it into the house.

I've moved onto an suv (in case you haven't noticed) and I generally keep a backlog of three months of toys in my vehicle which has been a standard for years and it also makes no sense.  Thank you much for the SW case boxes though Ryan.   ;)

No disrespect intended, but the packing stuff away is so dumb. If you cannot display it, sell it.

Good point - and I'm sure you're aiming your post at me, but I'll be a homeowner in a few years so my collection is just "baking in the oven" until then.....I'm not about to dump 9 years of collecting down the tube, even though I'd like to.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2009, 10:49 PM »
Actually, it was more toward Brian, and a bit toward myself. I think the whole Storage unit thing could be a nerdy ass ROTLA warehouse display.  :P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2009, 09:59 AM »
I've often felt the same way about packing my stuff away, I figured if I can't display it and its just going to be stored, I might as well sell it.  I'm starting to sell off some stuff, and may be doing more as the year goes on.  We do have a house, but I doubt we'll be getting a bigger one anytime soon, so I guess I can't say I'm waiting for "someday".  Plus, the Mrs. doesn't want it leaving our office, so it makes the display space a little bit more confining.  She's not wrong though, I've got too much crap as it is :).

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2009, 10:38 AM »
I have my collection pretty much spread over the entire house, and I'm in a constant struggle to trim down and to tuck away stuff.  Here's where I have my loose and carded stored or displayed from most to little.  I decided against moving stuff into the attic or garage because of the high temps during the summers.

Home office and closet (storage/displayed)
Baby's room and closet (storage/displayed)
Upstair bonus room and storage closet (storage/displayed)
My closet in the master bedroom (storage)
Various hallways (storage - temporarily)
Formal dinning room (displayed)
Above the mantel (displayed)
« Last Edit: May 1, 2009, 01:51 AM by King_Maul »