Author Topic: New JD Review: Han Solo  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
New JD Review: Han Solo
« on: January 28, 2006, 09:10 AM »

Read The Full Review Here.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: Han Solo
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 11:49 AM »
Hat's off to the reviewer (is that Jessie?)

I agree, its a great figure, but not as great as it could have been. I would also have like to have seen a blaster included as well though. I acquired an additional Saga Luke Jedi blaster and it seems like it was made for this Hans hand.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 12:01 PM »
Hat's off to the reviewer (is that Jessie?)

Yeah, it is the latest Review from Mr. Jesse "Phil" McCracken himself.  ;)

Reid just beat Jesse to the punch with a thread. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 03:18 AM »
I wasn't home much this weekend so I apologize...  Plus I had comp problems anyway so I wouldn't have been on as it is.

But yeah, this is the Han Review, and there you have it...  :)

My take on the figure is one I'm having a lot with Saga 06 figures unfortunately.  It's happiness at the fact I'm getting this or that figure, followed by distinct disappointment in the execution from Hasbro.  Not that they're bad overall, but many MANY figures in 06 seem to have no leg articulation beyond the hips.  This is a big step backwards...  wouldn't you agree?

My point being that we pay a fair penny for these toys...  Let's face it, SW isn't the cheapest toy on the shelf by a long shot.  Yet at the same time, Hasbro hasn't set a higher standard for the line in terms of articulation.  They've definitely set standards for sculpts, paint aps, etc...  There are a few points (not just articulation even) though that Hasbro has NOT set standards for and this is disappointing.  The sad thing is though that we have a figure here who is no more poseable in his legs than his original counterpart from the POTF line in 1983.  I mean...  WTF!?  :-\

I'm not asking for Super ARticulation across the board either, not by a long shot, but I do believe Hasbro should have set a standard by now that the Cantina Wave set in 04/05...  That basic 12 points of articulation:

-2 standard shoulder joints
-2 angle-cut elbow joints
-2 standard wrist joints
-2 standard hip joints
-2 ball/socket knee joints
-1 ball/socket neck joint
-1 standard waist joint

This should honestly be the minimum we see on every figure in the line that either isn't an army builder, or a "Senator"-esque figure.  With those, you'll sometimes get better (Super Articulated, or close to it, for army builders), or slightly worse (due to sculpted robes, etc., "Senators" like Bib Fortuna or Meena Tills just can't have this level of articulation, nor can droids or certain aliens due to their construction or physiology).  The middle-ground though should be this bare minimum 12-points of articulation.  It's the best compromise I see... 

I'd agree about the blaster accessory Anton, if it weren't that this figure came with a pike and carbonite slab which both were new and one's fairly complex (2 pieces and painted, etc.)...  I pondered the blaster a little while and though it wouldn't be hard to throw it in there since they've got it molded and all.

My thought is that whoever Han took the blaster from is where we'll get it...  eventually...  perhaps.  I don't think it was Lando's, but rather the guard Lando was fighting with?  Not sure.  Anyway, if it's Lando's then ya already kinda have it, andi f it's the guards then I can only assume that's a figure we hopefully get some day with that gun and a holster for it?   :-\  I have an extra too, his hand's definitely sculpted to hold a gun, no doubt, so I wouldn't have turned my nose to the accessory if they'd included it but at the same time I didn't care as much due to what he did come with.

I'd much rather gotten a separate head with squinty eyes and slicked hair.  :)  Extra work for Hasbro but if they put this figure out with a new head down the road sometime I'm gonna be slightly miffed.  He isn't all goofy looking for long, so I dunno...  I'll still buy it because I'll want Han in that specific "look" too but I'll do so begrudgingly.

Anyway, where was I? 

Oh yeah, Hasbro can do better for your $6 to $7+...  Don't kid yourself and tell yourself "Well I should just be happy they made it".  If people acted that way about everything the Ford Pinto would've been a hot seller, AMC would still exist today, and we'd all have issues with missing buttons and malfunctioning zippers on our clothes...  The point?  You spend YOUR hard-earned money on something, and as such you are entitled to the right to speak your mind on it.  I read at these other sites how people think you should just spew happy thoughts about this line...  These are the same nimrods who weren't here in 1995 I'm thinking, and who don't recall when the line was a LOT worse, and how complaints garnered improvements...  And further complaints garnered further improvements...  This line is where it is because people said, "ya know, this is ******", and Hasbro listened.  They read a few forums, including ours, so speak your mind and get the winds of change blowing....  instead of Hasbro's stuff.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 11:14 AM »
I enjoyed the review, nice work Jesse. 

I think my only complaint about this is the size of the carbonite block.  It's a beautifully done piece, but is a tad small, at least relative to the Han figure itself and the predecessor carbonite blocks we've seen from POTF2 and POTF vinty.  Clearly the figure in the block is not the same scale as the figure that comes with the block.

The Carbonite block is really a treat, and while it’s slightly small (compare it with the figure, the figure is a half a head taller or so), it’s still a nicely sculpted and bulky piece with some decoration to it.

This comment was the only I had issue with and it's probably just nitpicking, but when I read it I get the impression that the block is even smaller than it is.  Now I think you're just getting across the idea that the figure within the block is half a head smaller than Han, it reads that the block itself is half a head smaller and that's not accurate.  To my surprise, I can fit Han inside the block, much as could be done with the vintage figure.  He doesn't line up with the Han outline in the block though and that really blows chunks. :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 06:41 PM »
When I said that I meant to compare the Han with the Han, not Han with the block...

I put the figure toe to toe with the figure in the block (on the outside of the block) comparing to get the height variance there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 1, 2006, 12:10 AM »
I know, I'm just deeply scarred by my grad school advisor :-[ and now I've turned into him :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.