Author Topic: all vintage figs into VOTC?? :)  (Read 4447 times)

Offline foolintherain76

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
all vintage figs into VOTC?? :)
« on: January 28, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Just curious if anyone else out there thinks Hasbro might be slowly remaking all the carded vintage figures into VOTC figures.  It seems like it would be doable since the contract has been extended so long.  You figure if they do like 10 to 12 figures a year it would only take ~10 years.  My completely unaccurate count comes up with 98 total vintage figures (not counting recards of the same figure for each movie, unless the figure was different somehow, i.e. 1 vader, not 3, etc).

We already have 12, so that knocks us down to 86.  There are 5 more announced for this year (so far).  That makes 81 to go!  Perhaps they are deciding which cards to put each figure on to make it roughly the same number of figures per original trilogy movie...

If this isn't true (and I'm just totally guessing here).  Maybe they should consider doing it for use collectors!  Wouldn't it rock to have every vintage figure redone and carded VOTC?  Someone with more pull than me should bring this idea up with Hasbro!!  Hint, Hint..

Offline foolintherain76

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: all vintage figs into VOTC?? :)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 01:08 PM »
Actually upon better counting (using the figure lists here for ANH, ESB, ROTJ, and POTF1), I come up with

21 unique figures to ANH
29 NEW figures for ESB
37 NEW figures for ROTJ
12 NEW figures for POTF1

So basically there are 99 figures.  Subtract 12 already on VOTC cards, and 5 coming out.  Hasbro only needs to make 82 more figures...definitely possible.  Feel free to check my numbers.  I'm just eliminating repacks of old figures on new cards.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 03:42 AM »
There's been some speculation that perhaps they're going for the whole line...  And I don't know that I'd mind that myself.  Part of me wonders though, if they're all $10, how they do a $10 Jawa, ya know?  I mean, ouch... 

At the same time, I'd welcome it for the most part...  To know there'd be ultimate versions of most every character, especially mains, in their main outfits.  That'd be pretty sweet.  I'm concerned about non-vintage figures getting that treatment though like Tarkin or The Rebel Fleet Trooper... 

I'd welcome a Death Squad Commander with open arms though.  It's sorely needed.

I think it's possible they're going for this...  I don't know how likely though.  But definitely within the realm of possibility.  Hasbro's so weird...  They'd not say if they were doing this I'm sure, but I think anything is possible with them, no doubt.  And with Greedo on tap, that really implies that obscurity's not an issue...

What would happen when they got into things like FX-7 though?  Would anyone want another one?  I like the one we got...  Or Ugnaughts...  Jawas...  Hammerhead...  There's certain things a lot of people would really balk at paying $10 for I think.  R5-D4 for instance, who's getting his update finally.  Who'd want a $10 one then?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 09:40 AM »
Good points Jesse, however, keep in mind, they did do a $10 Yoda. ::)

Reardless if issues like the already perfect FX-7 we got, I'd still like to see the entire Vintage line redone as VOTC although I couldn't guess if that's the plan.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 02:48 PM »
I was starting to think about this rumor the other day as well.  We heard at one time that the entire vintage line would be visited, and looking at the combination of OT figures released (new ones) in the OTC, VOTC, TSC, and VTSC lines, they are sort of starting to do that.  Like Jesse mentioned, the fact that they're doing a Greedo sort of shows they must intend to do more.  If not, you would think that final spot would have went to a character more along the lines of a Snowtrooper, Jedi Luke, or Emperor.  I'm wondering if we'll see all of them done in the "vintage" lines (VOTC/VTSC) or if it will be the basic line overall.  Like Jesse mentioned, there's just some figures that have been re-done fairly recently that might not need another redo anytime soon.  Just off the top of my head:

FX-7 (POTJ)
AT-AT Driver (TSC)
TIE Pilot (SAGA)
Hammerhead (TSC)
R5-D4 (TSC)
Teebo (POTJ)
Princess Leia - Boussh (TSC)

The list could go on, but just as a few examples of what we've seen done recently.  I agree though, I honestly wouldn't mind seeing it happen.  I lean more towards the OT as it is, and I really like the nostalgia of the VOTC styled line.  If they continued it at the current pricepoint, it would be best if it was limited to a smaller number of figures per year...especially when running alongside the regular basic line and other lines.  It just gets too expensive otherwise.  It would be kind of tough to justify paying $10 for figures like a Power Droid, Jawa, Ugnaughts, and others.