Author Topic: Mint Figures on Any Condition Card  (Read 6524 times)

Offline Skyhoucker

• Youngling
  • It will be done, my lord.
    • View Profile
Mint Figures on Any Condition Card
« on: January 29, 2006, 11:48 AM »
Does anyone collect vintage figures that are sealed on the card, but you don't really care the condition of the card? I'd like to get all the 12-Backs Mint on Card, but to be honest the condition of the card isn't all that important to me... I wouldn't mind getting them in like C-2+ condition. As long as the figures are sealed and near-pristine in their bubbles, I'd be happy. Does anyone else collect like this, or are most people after MOMC 12-Backs?

To be honest, the reason I'm not so interested in cardback condition is because it's much more cheaper to collect the figures that have a more severely dinged up cardback... I'm just looking for the figures that I can put in Star Cases and admire them as a set... am I crazy?

Any feedback would be great...
Finally finished RotS

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Mint Figures on Any Condition Card
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 01:47 PM »
I can see this being a relatively painless way to get into collecting carded.  The only problem becomes that if you start collecting relatively poor carded figures they will be more likely to deterioate faster that a minter piece.

My personal suggestion would be to look for pieces that though aren't mint C9, at least have a nice clear bubble and a crisp looking front photo. This way they are something to look at and admirable, even if the corners are dinged or there is a crease on the back. When I look for boxes for the vehicles/playsets, this is the basic criteria I use. I just want to make sure the majority of the box is aesthetically pleasing, but not concern myself that there's a dent in the top right corner.

Just some thoughts to help you on your way...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 02:55 PM »
That's an interesting way to get into this.  I've yet to buy my first vintage figure, just waiting for the right ones to show up on eBay.  I'm certainly not a perfectionist when it comes to card condition, but like Jason (CorranHorn) said, having one with a nice bubble and picture is appealing to still showcase the "heart" of the piece.  I kinda like the idea of going for a badly dinged one just to finally have one!

Offline Skyhoucker

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 12:54 AM »
Thanks guys... my main concern, like you said, is a nice clear bubble... I'm mainly concerned with the figure itself so it would be pointless to buy any figure with a screwy bubble... you wouldn't even be able to see the figure...

Also, when I say I don't mind a creased card, I mean it to a certain extent... a creased card doesn't bother me, AS LONG AS the creases haven't torn the paint.  That's unacceptable, too... other than that, a little sticker, or some creases are more than welcome... Obviously, if money wasn't a factor, I'd buy the best cards that I could, but money IS a factor to me, and I can only spend so much... know what I mean?  But I do appreciate your input, guys! Thanks!
Finally finished RotS

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 04:47 PM »
I have a really hard time justifying a few hundred dollars on a figure...after all it is only plastic and cardboard.

I picked up a 12 back Han on a really crappy card, where the bubble was tearing away from the cardback.  I picked it up cheap and I'm completely content with it.  I do try to pick up decent figures, but will not pay hundreds of dollars for one.  I think if you are collecting vintage on a budget, banged up, yet presentable, is the way to go. 

Just my .02.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 04:58 PM »
That’s how I’ve done collected them.

I have a few (8-10) carded Vintage figs that I picked up cheap at a flea market that are C6+ in condition but the figure inside was yellow/mold free as a bonus they are all unpunched cards.

Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 06:59 PM »
if you are on a budget, this is not a bad way to go.  things like sticker tears and cracked bubbles will reduce the value of a figure dramatically.

for me the only real criteria are that the figure not be obscured and the picture on the front not be marred.  of course, that said, i usually pass on tons of figures before i find one with just the right combination of damage to be acceptable and still have a nice low price.

Offline Gorkoracing

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 12:01 PM »
That is how i've gotten a lot of my figures recently.  I have only been bidding $15 or so and have won several vintage still on cards for about $12-20 shipped.  Most had creases and dented bubbles but hey its carded and it was cheap.  I find that a lot of times they are even described in worse condition than they actually are.  Some people will say creases which will scare a lot of people away then when I get the figure it only has minor veining on the back  where the bubble was placed on the card.  I plan to continue to buy cheap carded figures and eventually trade up for ones in better condition and harder to get ones.  My goal is to have one of every basic figure carded.

Thats how I got my POTF2 US weequay FF for $20.  The seller said it was all beat up and only good to open.  I got it and it was MINT.  I guess they had more than one and shipped me the wrong one or were EXTREMELY picky.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 01:23 PM »
Though it may be blasphemous to ask, why not buy recards then?  You can usually get a very nice figure with proper weapon that has been recarded for quite cheap.  I'm not a fan, but there are people buying them out there.

As for me I'm ok with some dings or holes in the card.  Like most, nice clear bubble (though with my affection for trilogo dents are obviously acceptable) and good picture on the front is all I'm really after.  But really, I'm so cheap I squeak.  I'm perpetually watching for bargains and mislabeled auctions.  I do miss some stuff though as I'm sort of without focus at the moment, so don't sometimes realize good prices when I see them. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 01:29 PM »
Though it may be blasphemous to ask, why not buy recards then?  You can usually get a very nice figure with proper weapon that has been recarded for quite cheap.  I'm not a fan, but there are people buying them out there.

Old Star Wars cards, in my opinon, just can't be replicated. The look, the smell and even the slight imperfections are just too "Vintage" to be replaced by a "recards".

I rather have a complete C2+ condition set than a complete set of minty fresh "recards" anyday.

More power to the people that buy them, like you said - there is a market.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 01:34 PM »

There's a few reasons why not to buy recards from my pov...

1.) They aren't original. It's the same reasoning behind not buying repro weapons, you want to own a piece that has a had long life and was part of the glorious 7 years of the vintage line.

2.) Not all recards are made using quality cardboard stock and bubbles. You're likely to get a piece that is in a crappier state than any beatup original on the market.

3.) It's been my observation that some recards will cost an insane amount of money. So many people bidding on a "C9" recard of a Boba Fett, that it will go for a lot more than a "C4" original. That's just wrong, since the cost of any recard figure should be the value of the loose figure and the cost of supplies and the 5 seconds it took to print the stuff out.

Just some thoughts...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Skyhoucker

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 04:41 PM »
Thanks for everyone's replies! As for Morgbug's comment about recarded figures,
I've explored that route heavily.  The main reason I won't settle for recards is
because the ones I've seen are a minimum of $40+! That's ridiculous! I could
spend just about double that and get a C-4-6 condition legit card.  Also, I think
it was also Morgbug that said that all he's really concerned about are a nice
clean bubble, and a nice clean picture.  That's the EXACT same thing that
I'm looking for.  But to me, even the image can have slight, and I mean slight
imperfections.  Hopefully, years down the road, and I mean a long way off, I'll
probably aim to get all of the 12-Backs AFA graded 75+...

For now, though, I have all of the 12-Backs loose and in ProTech cases:

Now I want carded versions in almost any condition (clear bubbles is a MUST) to
throw in Star Cases and display them as a set... Like I said, years from now, I'll
get the AFA graded versions and they'll be my true masterpiece set.  I'm just
obsessing over these 12-Backs...

Thanks again for everyone's interest!
Finally finished RotS

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 10:52 PM »
Thoses figures look really nice.  8)

I would never by a recard, heck you don't even know if the weapon is going to be real or a repro. As for carded condition, it's what ever floats your boat. I have seen a few buy figures on cut cards which is a good way cost effectively rather than buy the full carded figures then others buy a card for a clean picture and bubble too. I'm just happy to have any carded figures that are in a good price range or a steal!  ;)  ;D

I have a Boba Fett on a 77 back card thats beat up and the bubble is crushed but for the price I paid for it...  ;D

Offline Skyhoucker

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 11:01 PM »
Throw that in a Star Case and slap it on the wall and it looks beautiful! That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about... if I could get the 12-Backs on cards exactly like those, I'd be uber-happy...
Finally finished RotS

Offline Gorkoracing

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 1, 2006, 12:25 PM »
Your boba is in about the same shape as my ESB boba.  I paid $80.  How much did you snag that one for if you dont mind me asking?  I'm the same way tho DSJ.  I will buy any carded figs that I can get for a steal.  I'd rather have them on complete cards but I dont mind if the card has creases or a yellow bubble thats a little crushed.

« Last Edit: February 1, 2006, 12:30 PM by Gorkoracing »