Author Topic: Cooking  (Read 4870 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Cooking
« on: January 29, 2006, 11:38 PM »
If I want to impress people with my cooking skills (not all of the good skills were taken) I make Fajitas.  Easier then hell and damn, damn tasty.

1. Marinade the Chicken in Lemon and Lime juice and a special blend of herbs and spices overnight
2. Cut Onion and Pepper in thin strips and fry in a small amount of Soy Oil
3. Fry up the chicken in a separate pan with a few squirts of lemon and lime
4. Combine when done (onions opaque, chicken fried)
5. Serve with tortillas, can of refried beans, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomato and salsa

Enjoy, hits a home run and I get asked the for the recipe every time I make them

Next.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 11:39 PM by Scott »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Cooking
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 11:45 PM »
The extent of my cooking skills involves marinating steaks in teriyaki for a few hours and grilling them. That and dialing the phone for grub delivery.  :(
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 11:47 PM »

1. Marinade the Chicken in Lemon and Lime juice and a special blend of herbs and

Wouldn't it be easier to marinate them in a marinade? :P 

Odd topic, considering we had steak fajitas for dinner tonight. :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 11:50 PM »
Ooh, steak, one of my other easy to impress.

http://www.insanechicken.com/jack_daniel_s_bbq_rub.html

I buy this by the case because I never know if they'll stop making it, it goes great on steak, pork or chicken but its the best on steak IMO

Rub the meat the night before and let it stew in its own juices.  Don't be afraid to really work it over.

Grill the next day to desired wellness

Serve

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 12:08 AM »
I was actually considering starting a thread like this the other day. Those fajitas look mighty tasty Scott.

I'll add my Bacon-Bleu Cheeseburgers to the list.

1. First you are going want to grill up some burgers, I suppose you could use pre-made frozen burgers, but I always prefer to buy ground beef and make my own. Just make them however you normally would, I usually like to add some BBQ sauce, salt, pepper, dried minced onions, garlic powder, hot sauce, and an egg to the beef. It gives it a bit more flavor and the egg will help hold it together. make sure the beef isn't too cold or it will fall apart easier. The grill them up however you normally would.

2. This meal is usually easier to make with 2 people cooking it, but it can be done with one person.  While the burgers are cooking fry up some bacon. I usually buy plain and while it is cooking I give it a nice thick coating of freshly cracked black pepper. I put plenty of it on because I really like peppered bacon. Once the bacon is done throw it on a paper plate with a paper towel to absorb excess grease. Don't clean the bacon pan yet though.

3. In the same pan you made the bacon it, go ahead and throw in some chopped up onions and plenty of minced garlic, I suppose you could add mushrooms too, I don't though because I don't like them. Sauté them up nicely until the onions are caramelized and opaque in color.

4. Now for the bleu cheese, I like to buy a pack of fresh bleu cheese crumbles, these aren't going to stay on your burger very well by themselves though. I like to add a spoon full of bleu cheese salad dressing to the crumbles (make sure to only add enough so that the crumbles stick together) then mix it all up.

5. Don't forget your buns. I like to split all of them open and spread a little bit of butter on the inside of them, and stick 'em in the broiler to get them nice and golden-brown.

6. Put the burgers on the buns, top them with the bleu cheese, bacon, onions, some French fried onions (the ones in green bean casseroles) and some A-1 Steak Sauce (no ketchup on these burgers.)

Enjoy. It is usually a good idea to chase these burgers with a whole pack of mints or gum. ;)

Next.
"This is the way."

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 12:20 AM »
We (my girlfriend and I) just found a "recipe" for the best chicken/pork breading ever. This is just so damn tasty, and easy to make.

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 envelope dry Italian salad dressing (we use the "Zesty Italian")
6 boneless chicken breasts

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Moisten chicken with water; coat with cheese/dressing mixture. Place in shallow baking dish.
3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.

We made it with the chicken as the recipe calls for, and it was so tasty we have used it on just about any kind of meat you might like to eat. Boneless pork chops are so good with this stuff on them. Mmmmmm...

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 04:21 AM »
Whenever I go to my friend place and there's someone I don't know, I leave, go to the grocery store, come back, and spend the rest of the evening in the kitchen.

I'm unfailingly shy.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 05:28 AM »
This thread is destined for greatness.

I'll unfortunately contribute nothing and steal lots.  I can't cook worth a damn and am spoiled in that everyone cooks for me or I dine out.

I may learn from you Yoda's of the kitchen though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 10:46 AM »
We (my girlfriend and I) just found a "recipe" for the best chicken/pork breading ever. This is just so damn tasty, and easy to make.

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 envelope dry Italian salad dressing (we use the "Zesty Italian")
6 boneless chicken breasts

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Moisten chicken with water; coat with cheese/dressing mixture. Place in shallow baking dish.
3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.

We made it with the chicken as the recipe calls for, and it was so tasty we have used it on just about any kind of meat you might like to eat. Boneless pork chops are so good with this stuff on them. Mmmmmm...

I discovered the parmesan chicken recipe a few years ago when I was on Atkins and it's delicous!  I only make mine with the cheese, garlic, and pepper - I'll have to try the dried Italian seasoning mix.  Oh, I also coat the chicken in melted butter, but I suppose that water would be healthier.

I get asked for the recipe almost everytime I make this and I'm frankly too embarrassed to give it out because it's so damn easy to make.   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 11:03 AM »
Easiest BBQ Chicken or Pork ever:

4 - 6 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts (or a lean Pork Roast)

season with pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, whatever you prefer

put in crockpot with equal parts ketchup and Diet Coke to cover with a couple of inches to spare (also good with Vanilla Diet Coke or Cherry Vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper)

Slice up some onions and throw in there

Cook on med to med/high for 6-8 hours

Sounds weird but its pretty good and very easy
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 11:19 AM »
The only things I can cook are Ramen Noodles and Kraft Mac N Cheese.

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 11:20 AM »
Easiest BBQ Chicken or Pork ever:

4 - 6 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts (or a lean Pork Roast)

season with pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, whatever you prefer

put in crockpot with equal parts ketchup and Diet Coke to cover with a couple of inches to spare (also good with Vanilla Diet Coke or Cherry Vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper)

Slice up some onions and throw in there

Cook on med to med/high for 6-8 hours

Sounds weird but its pretty good and very easy

Actually that doesn't sound weird. I've heard ofr using Coke as a marinade of sorts for various kinds of meats.

Tonight for dinner I'm going to try some baked Italian Chicken tenders, that Giada de Laurentiis made. I always seem to have a hard time focusing on the food when I watch that show though... :P
"This is the way."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 11:22 AM »
Lemon Risotto:

Cut up a large leek into 1 x 1/2 inch strips.  Set on low heat with a little bit of butter in a covered frying pan for 6 minutes to sweat the leeks.  Stir this once or twice

Then add a cup of rice (I use (sp?) aborrio rice from Whole Foods...) and turn the heat up to medium - stir this for 3 minutes.  

Then add a cup of broth (I use chicken broth), some salt, and some pepper.  Let this go stirring occasionally until most of the broth is gone and add another half a cup.  Wait until this is almost gone and add another half a cup.

Once this is almost gone turn the heat back down to low and let it cook on low for 10 minutes - stirring occasionally.

Then near the end of the ten minutes squeeze a lemon into the mix (I usually pre-squeeze the lemon into a cup to make sure I don't accidentally drop any seeds into the pan...).  Make sure the rice is cooked appropriately - you can always add a little more water and let it cook longer if it isn't - different rices cook differently...  

I throw some chives on at the very end.

F'n tasty.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 11:50 AM by Rob »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 11:12 PM »

Tonight for dinner I'm going to try some baked Italian Chicken tenders, that Giada de Laurentiis made. I always seem to have a hard time focusing on the food when I watch that show though... :P

The said chicken fingers were scrumptious.  :)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_31583,00.html
"This is the way."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 12:21 AM »
Just wanted to share a recipe I've been enjoying the hell out of the last month or so...got it from the local paper and it makes a really great loaf of bread...and its super easy!

No-knead bread

Makes a 1 1/2-lb. loaf.

Note: Instant yeast is also known as rapid-rise yeast. Active dry yeast can also be used without proofing (soaking to make it active). Author Mark Bittman reports success in using up to 30 percent whole-grain flour, up to 50 percent whole-wheat flour and up to 20 percent rye flour. When adding flavors -- caraway seeds, chopped olives, onions, cheese, walnuts, raisins -- Bittman suggests adding after you've mixed the dough, but they can also be folded in before the dough's second rising. Bittman adopted this recipe for the New York Times from Jim Lahey of the Sullivan Street Bakery in New York City.

• 3 c. all-purpose or bread flour, plus more for dusting

• 1/4 tsp. instant yeast

• 1-1/4 tsp. salt

• Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed

In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 c. tepid water and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at room temperature (about 70 degrees) for at least 12 hours, preferably about 18 (Bittman said he has gone to 24 hours without a problem). Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles and gluten (long strands that cling to sides of bowl when tilted) is well-developed.

Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle dough with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface and to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) or Silpat mat with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam-side down on towel or Silpat mat and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel (or plastic wrap) and let rise for 2 to 3 hours. When ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

At least a half-hour before dough is ready, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 4- to 6-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it preheats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel (or Silpat mat) and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that's OK. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Remove from oven, invert pan and cool bread on a rack.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:38 AM by OCB »