Author Topic: Soft Drinks - What's Your Pleasure?  (Read 20997 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Soft Drinks - What's Your Pleasure?
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2006, 08:28 PM »
I'm a hard core Mt. Dew man, so cold that it's a little slushy.

Tastes best after a big fat Subway samitch.

Yum.

LOL, good old Subway.  Figure out the calories after a 12" sub, bag 'o chips and a big old bottle of that stuff.  You've exceeded your daily intake of caffeine, sodium and whole wack of other things.

Face it, Jared had a tummy tuck.  That's the real story :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2006, 08:32 PM »
**** Jared.

Eat at Kevvo's.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2006, 09:37 PM »
Ha, HA ..now that's comedy

unfortunately I'm gonna ruin it now and claim Boring regular Coke is my Fav. Trying to cut down this year though....now I only drink 2-3 a day..it was 6-7(no shet) a day. Oh and then there's football sundays...oh man if it isn't beer then prob. 6-10 cokes minimum!

Hey, something's got keep me pepped up to yell at the TV!(even though they can't hear me through the TV like my significant other always states ::))

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2006, 09:50 PM »
Yeah, I used to be there with regular Coke.  Love it, drank it tons, constant stock around.  But when I stopped drinking leaded soda/pop I lost 15 pounds without doing one other damn thing.  Couldn't have made the switch without Diet Dr. Pepper though, that stuff is awesome. 

Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi isn't a huge difference to me, but all that lime, one, cherry, black cherry, brown cherry, cherry cherry stuff doesn't do it for me.  It's ok for a change, but not a necessity. 

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2006, 11:07 PM »
I think IBC root beer is my favorite, and we have a local brand here called Abita root beer that's a close second.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2006, 11:23 PM »
But when I stopped drinking leaded soda/pop I lost 15 pounds without doing one other damn thing.

That also helped my weight loss too.

I try and tell people, but they do not listen.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2006, 03:17 AM »
Is it really that they do not listen or is it that they don't WANT to stop drinking it? Sure, I believe it would help..but I don't wanna stop drinking it anyway.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2006, 03:56 PM »
**** Jared.

Eat at Kevvo's.

Dude.  You have GOT to have bumper stickers made.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2006, 07:48 PM »
**** Jared.

Eat at Kevvo's.

Dude.  You have GOT to have bumper stickers made.

"This is the way."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2006, 07:55 PM »
^ Nicely done! ;D

For my New Year's resolution I actually swore off soda pop. Not because I need to lose weight (heck, I'm so skinny I could probably stand to gain a few pounds) but because the stuff is soooo bad for you and delivers no nutritional benefits whatsoever.

Now I'm drinking a lot of water, lemonade, and fruit juice. It does get a little boring drinking Hawaiian Punch, iced tea, or Orange Hi-C every time I hit a fast food joint. But the funny thing is, for the most part I really don't miss the soda like I expected I would.

I've only broken my resolution twice--both times when snacking at a buddy's house and soda was what was offered. And those lapses are not that big of a deal because I'm really not saying I'll never drink soda again for the rest of my life--the object is just to go as long as possible and train myself out of habitual soda consumption so later on I'll only drink the stuff sparingly. Because, as I said, it's baaaaad for you.

Completely independently, a friend of mine who wishes to lose some poundage made the Resolution to only drink Diet when available.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 07:58 PM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2006, 09:38 PM »

I'm so skinny I could probably stand to gain a few pounds)

I'll try and say this nicely.  **** you.  >:(   ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2006, 09:40 PM »

For my New Year's resolution I actually swore off soda pop. Not because I need to lose weight (heck, I'm so skinny I could probably stand to gain a few pounds) but because the stuff is soooo bad for you and delivers no nutritional benefits whatsoever.

I'll agree it has no nutritional benefits for you, but why is it so bad?

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2006, 11:34 PM »
I'll try and say this nicely.  **** you.  >:(   ;)

*flicks Jesse off with a skeletal finger* :P ;)

Don't worry; no doubt my (non)exercise and eating habits will catch up with me one day. *goes to happily stuff his face in the meantime*

I'll agree it has no nutritional benefits for you, but why is it so bad?

Well, it's an entirely artificial concoction. Chemicals, preservatives, tons of sugar or synthetic sugar substitute, plus caffeine in most cases (although that's not really an issue for me since I get my caffeine via coffee). Linked to tooth decay, diabetes, etc.

And I'll admit I'm no nutritionist or doctor, but anything with an ingredients list you can't pronounce just can't be good for you.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 11:53 PM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2006, 11:50 PM »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 1, 2006, 12:42 AM »

Well, it's an entirely artificial concoction. Chemicals, preservatives, tons of sugar or synthetic sugar substitute, plus caffeine in most cases (although that's not really an issue for me since I get my caffeine via coffee). Linked to tooth decay, diabetes, etc.

And I'll admit I'm no nutritionist or doctor, but anything with an ingredients list you can't pronounce just can't be good for you.

Now don't take this entirely as directed at you, but I really get very frustrated by the general perception that "chemicals and synthetic" are all bad.  You'll forgive me I hope, but all of my education and background in biology, chemistry and toxicology tells me you just might be reading too damn many web pages.  Interestingly CSPI is about the worst example of activist based reporting you could get on the topic.  What they really are is a lobby organization that targets corporations on the basis of really ****** science. 

I'll go to the trouble if you'd like, but I can show that most of their claims are bogus:

Caffeine in pop is certainly there, though you'd have to drink about 10 cans of pop to get the same dose you get in a single cup of coffee.  Interestingly Mountain Dew is the worst of the bunch, but in Canada it has no caffeine.  Still, tea and coffee are far, far more loaded than any pop out there.  Interesting too that coffee is ok but pop is bad.  Ever seen a list of the "chemicals" in coffee?  Lots of names you can't pronounce in there, far, far more than in a can of soda pop.  Plenty more carcinogens as well, all entirely natural in origin.  Of course there in such a low dose that it really doesn't matter as the basic tenet of toxicology is that the dose makes the poison.  Still coffee's about as bad as you can get. 

Preservatives are bad?  Really?  Damn, hope you're eating nothing but all organic and natural food.  Watch out for the botulinum, E. coli and all those other good, natural things. 

How much sugar you put in your coffee?  Eat any candy bars, breakfast cereal or anything else like that?  Sure hope not, because that **** will make you fat (don't worry Jesse, it's as much his age as anything else.  I weighed 165 at his age :P). 

As for all of CSPI's claims of obesity and other bull****, that's nothing more than an absolution of personal responsibility on the parts of CSPI, parents and anyone else not willing to take responsibility for putting that much junk food in your mouth.  Been there, done that.  I consumed enough pop to elevate my weight by 15 pounds.  Is that the fault of anyone but me?  Nope, but in the day and age of litigation we live in it's certainly not the poor innocent victim's fault.  Keep watching, they're already suing McD's and Pepsi and Coke won't be far behind. 

Drinking juice are ya?  Lots of sugar in there.  Somewhere between 70-100 calories for the juice box, equating roughly to a can of cola (non-diet).  So what's the good part again?  Oh yeah, all the vitamins that coincidentally restrict themselves to vitamin C.  Of course you get 100% of your daily requirement from a single juice box, so you're pissing the rest of it out for the whole day.  I'd certainly agree that it's a good way to get your daily dose of the vitamin, but there are other ways. 

Oddly the page you linked states this:
Adding in noncarbonated soft drinks (including fruit drinks, ades, iced teas, and the like) adds thousands of more empty calories to the diet each year.

And you said this:
Now I'm drinking a lot of water, lemonade, and fruit juice.
Hmmm. 

As for diabetes, well if your calorie consumption is so huge it might just not be the pop that's causing it.  You see, if you're really so overweight as to fire up juvenile (or otherwise) diabetes, I'm going to guaran-damn-tee you that your calorie consumption is from more than just pop.  Lemme guess, Supersize me was a truthful documentary?  Here's just a notion, if you eat 5000 calories of anything every day for a month your ass is going to be fat whether it's McDonalds, Subway, Coca-cola or if you could possibly consume that much, carrots. 

As for the synthetic issue, I could go on for hours.  Hope you're not taking any supplements or the like, lots of synthetic **** in there.  Any processed food?  Antibiotics (synthetic carriers?)?

Tooth decay?  Brush your ******* teeth people, it's really not that complicated.  Tooth decay (where's Dressel?) is caused by bacteria, not sugar.  The bacteria feed on the sugar.  Take the sugar (or other foods stuck in those gaps in your teeth) out of the equation and you're pretty much a lock for a whole lot less (dare I say none?) tooth decay.  You are I presume aware that vegetables have sugar in them?  Leave that **** between your teeth and you'll get tooth decay too.  Damn, let's ban vegetables now :P

Here's a little clue to what science means and how folks like those at CSPI use it:

The empty calories of soft drinks are likely contributing to health problems, particularly overweight and obesity.

Frequent consumption of soft drinks may also increase the risk of osteoporosis

Frequent consumers of soft drinks may also be at a higher risk of kidney stones and a slightly higher risk of heart disease.

All those words I bolded are called hedge words - CSPI has to make use of them because there isn't conclusive proof of what they want you to believe.  There may be trends, most likely not statistically significant (meaning they are as much chance as anything else).  They're qualifiers so they don't have to prove what they say.  You and darn near everyone else ignores those words, reading only the intent, not the content of the statement. 

Your grandparents (maybe your great-grandparents in this case) had it right - everything in moderation and nothing to excess.  Don't forget to enjoy life and don't obsess. 

:-*
« Last Edit: February 1, 2006, 06:59 PM by Morgbug »