Author Topic: Hinged knee joints- is there any hope of new figures adopting these?  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
EDIT: maybe this should've gone in the "Hey Hasbro" section or something, sorry. >.<

Okay, as every collector everywhere has complained by now, Hasbro has never, ever liked articulating legs. It's obvious; the priority for ball joints is the head, then the shoulders, then the ankles (mysteriously), then the knees (which almost never get it, and only do so at the price of ankle articulation usually- although that's okay). Ball joints are never on hips; there is exactly one Star Wars figure in this scale that has them, VOTC Luke. One figure in 11 years.

I have no idea what's up with this. Legs need to move almost as much as arms, and knees especially are extremely important for the playability, so a figure can run and sit and such. Why would anyone want a boot swivel or even ball-jointed ankles when there could be knees? I can understand Hasbro wanting to use less ball joints because of cost prices, but why would they ever, much less repeatedly, put them on the ankles instead of the knees?

Anyway, I've been thinking abou this for an idea, and the review for Garindan brought it to mind again; remember the Commtech line? It was like "wow, knees that... MOVE!! amazing!" Star Wars figures never had ball joints then, so hinged knees were an amazingly cool thing. Looking at Commtech Han now, I have to admit his knees are still better than most new figures on the shelves.

So is ball joints are so expensive, why not adopt Commtech-style knees- at least have a hinge, so figures can kneel and sit? If the commtech style is expensive, surely they could come up with some new kind of hinge or at least incorporate some kind of angle cut a la the debateably sucky POTJ Rebel Fleet Trooper- it beats nothing. Or maybe even GI-joe style knee hinges.

I could stand to see wrists go or an old peg-mounted swivelling head instead of a ball head, if it meant there was some kind of knee joint. For that matter, if it's all about saving plastic, I think everyone would much rather have some knee joints on their figures instead of a stupid little hologram figure, right?

Hasbro is obviously stubborn, and all about money, and soforth and so on. But I think it could be beneficial if people started really stressing this point- even compromise, lamer knee joints, not neccesarily ball joints, would be good. Something so they don't have to constantly stand in one position. It's not 1995 anymore, and no competing toy company stiffs knee joints- look at those ugly The Corps figures, cheap ugly crud, yet guess what? Their knees move!

Sorry if this is a bit of a tirade, I don't hate all figures without knee-joints or something, but it really bothers me to see Hasbro continuing to do this. I'm sure a lot of people agree, it's lame and disappointing, and as visible in the current figures, it's a constant flaw infesting the entire line. All that seperates most new figures legs from POTF2 or even vintage figures is the sculpt quality. That's it, and that's sad.

Anyway, just my thoughts. *shrugs*
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 10:40 PM by Mitsukara »

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hasbro is not a company I want to encourage to use hinged knees on my figures. The ones they've done on SW figs look horrendous, and didn't even work that well. Look at the way figures like Greedo, Roofoo and Ponda look when they sit. It's really pathetic. I would seriously rather the quality and price of the line go up. I don't mind paying more if I get more. I'd like to see ball knees on most figs. I mean we're not all that unwilling to pay $10 for VOTC figs, right? I'd like to see the overall quality of the regular line go up, and the MSRP raised 1 or 2 bucks. I have no need for retro "collectible" packaging that further increases price, though.

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Ball joints are never on hips; there is exactly one Star Wars figure in this scale that has them, VOTC Luke. One figure in 11 years.

Actually the AT-TE Driver also has ball-jointed hips.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
I want KA on each figure too, Hasbro's excuse probally is "It's too expensive". ::)

Figures This year that should of had them:
Carbon Han Solo
Major Bren Derlin
General Veers
Sora Bulq
Republic Commando Scorch
Hem Dazon
Momaw Nadon
Garindan
Moff Jerjerrod
Pod Racer 2-Pack
Gargra
 :-\
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline spec_spidey

• Youngling
  • I have a library card! Does that make me Yoda?
    • View Profile
Other than the figures with the ball jointed knees, I gotta say in my opinion the best knee articulation Hasbro has ever done on a Star Wars figure is the 2004 OTC Cloud Car Pilot. This figure has a hinged knee joint, but the hinge is located inside the joint and does not appear on the outer portion of the knee. It allowed the pants legs to have great detail in the sculpt without seeing the typical unsculpted hinge peg on the legs. It has got to be one of my favorite figures all time. Other than clones and Dutch Vanders with head swaps, the Cloud Car Pilot is the figure I own the most of in my collection ( I got 4 of them). I would love to have about 6 or 7 more at least. Just a shame I wasn't collecting when this figure was in stores.
The Force is strong in this one,... too bad his action figure sucks.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
You don't have more than 4 stormies/scouts? ???
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Not everyone collects armies.  I don't have more than 3 or 4 Scout Troopers or #41 Clones, but I have at least one of every figure dating back to 1978.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline spec_spidey

• Youngling
  • I have a library card! Does that make me Yoda?
    • View Profile
You don't have more than 4 stormies/scouts? ???

Nope, I don't have a single Biker Scout and only 2 Sandtroopers. The rest of my army consists of 3 Shock Clones, 3 501st Clones, 4 Coruscant Clones, 1 Commander Bacarra, 1 blue Bacarra, 1 SA ATOC Clone, 1 Red ATOC Clone, 2 white ROTS clones, and 2 preposed ATOC Clones. Then for support I have 5 OTC Han Solo AT-ST Driver figures with head swaps, 1 General Veers, 1 POTJ Imperial Officer, 2 Clone Pilots, 2 SAGA TIE Pilots, 1 SAGA AT-AT Driver, 1 Tarkin, and 1 Ozzel.

I have kept my army fairly small mainly because I would prefer to have all ATOC clone troopers or at least those helmets on the various styles of armor. The ATOC clone helmet is by far my favorite other than the McQuarrie Stormtrooper helmet.
The Force is strong in this one,... too bad his action figure sucks.