Author Topic: 80 figures for 2006?  (Read 14401 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: 80 figures for 2006?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 09:50 PM »
I hope it's not true. I know most of these figures are repacks, but I don't even have enough funds to get all of the figures I want/need. Now this would be okay if they dropped all the sublines, like Evolution, Deluxe, VOTC, etc. but if not, it's going to get ridiculous.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 10:08 PM »
80 is far too many for me to keep up with, especially with 50% being rehashed.  I will hopefully be getting some figures from the next two waves that I want, and then I am backing off, and only buying the figures I want, fit into a theme etc.

As far as the line . . . with no movies and if the TV series does not do well, we'll see how the line goes over the next 2-5 years. The key is how well do the major box retailers support the line ie Walmart and Target. When Walmart doesn't carry the line, I hate to say it (Target will quit before Wally) but the line will then be close to dying if not dead.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 10:30 AM »
I saw that "80 basic figures" line yesterday too, and thought "yikes".  Who knows if it is true, or even if its just a little out of context (maybe multipacks, EE exclusives, etc. are all included in that number).  At any rate, sounds like a whole lot of stuff this year.  Seeing more new things is always great, but this type of pace might start to wear people out.  Its just too much to keep up with.  I know I'm already reconsidering what lines to collect from now on, and what to buy, just because I can't keep up with things at the increased price and all of that.

As far as the line go, its hard to say.  I could see this being the last "big" year at retail, and things gradually cooling off in 2007.  It really depends on a number of things.  How good/popular the upcoming TV series is (live action and cartoon), and also how Hasbro handles the line from now on.  I think if they really worked on re-focusing their Star Wars product line, and "trimmed the fat" so to speak in getting rid of the lines many of us complain about (Force Battlers, Transformers, Choppers, etc.) and focused in more strongly on the basic figure line it would help a lot.  I can understand having something else out there product wise, but I really think that a line like Galactic Heroes covers the kids too little for action figures and Unleashed (7") can cover more of a strictly "collector" market...even though I think basic figures are mainly bought by collectors at this point anyways.  If they keep pushing huge figure numbers (80 per year), with half or more being repacks, alongside a lot of throwaway lines, it might push the end up sooner.  It of course really depends on retail support too, and without any new movies in sight, I could see WM dropping in the future.  It seems like we've started to see more stores carry lines individually in the past couple years, and maybe that is something that will happen.  For example, WM wasn't carrying Justice League or Batman stuff (aside from movie) for awhile, with Target and TRU carrying both lines throughout that time.  Now WM seems to be picking those lines back up.  SuperHero Showdown (Marvel) was just at TRU for a year, now its at all of the Big 3.  So, maybe even if WM jumped ship, the other two could pick up the slack.  But, in the long run, WM dropping still takes its toll and would probably eventually mean the end at all retail outlets.  Who knows, maybe direct to consumer is an option, seeing as Hasbro has done that with parts of the Joe line.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #18 on: February 2, 2006, 05:51 PM »
With the movies being re-released (in 3D even?) plus the potential for a TV show, I'd say we won't see the last of Star Wars anytime soon.

The last "big" year for retail?  Something tells me that might have been last year.  This year, it's all about repacks and repaints.  There are a few new sculpts, but most of these figures are either straight repacks, repaints...or kit-bashes.  I'm not saying I don't like the new Gonk (with his new hat) or the figure stands with the names of the characters on them (in case I"d forgotten)....but I'm able to leave most of the SAGA line on the shelves for other collectors so far this year.  I'm only buying the new figs, and so far...they're few and far between.

Got Clones?

Offline foolintherain76

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2006, 06:18 PM »
This could be close to true if you count:

Basic Saga waves:  57 figures announced
HOF2 wave:  12 figures announced
Demise of Grievous:  1 figure announced
VOTC:  5 figures announced

That comes to 75 figures...
maybe we'll get 5 more VOTC to make it 80 (why not, there were 12 original VOTC.  Thats 4 from each movie, 3 new ones for ANH, 2 new ones for ROTJ announced)  Just add the send in Lucas Stormtrooper (no movie) and 3 from ESB and 1 from ROTJ and we have 80 figures, the same amount of VOTC from the 3 movies, and the Lucas "extra" figure.

Sounds about right to me.  I think basic just means carded 3 3/4" figures.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2006, 09:06 AM »
This does look like a break-neck pace. I think 2006 is the year of nailing the carded collector. Probably 60-70% of these can be passed-by if you only want new figures or major differences.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2006, 10:43 AM »
Looks like the folks at 4-inches have a new rumor list (thanks to Jayson for the heads up ;)):

I'll just drop the "new" stuff in here...

Basic Figures
TSC/#039: Chief Chirpa (Ewok Leader)
TSC/#040: Moff Jerjerrod (Death Star 2 Commander)
TSC/#041: Death Star Imperial Gunner
TSC/#042: C-3PO (Ewok Deity) with Ewok Throne
TSC/#043: Emperor Palpatine (Death Star 2)
TSC/#044: Luke Skywalker (Endor Battle Poncho)
TSC/#045: Darth Vader (Endor Capture)
TSC/#046: Rebel Trooper (Endor Bunker)
TSC/#047: Darth Maul (Holographic Sith Lord)
TSC/#048: Obi-Wan Kenobi (TBA)
TSC/#049: Rep Bean (Gungan Warrior)
TSC/#050: Naboo Royal Soldier
TSC/#051: Podracer Pilots (2-Pack)
TSC/#052: Graga (Mos Espa Market Stallholder)
TSC/#053: Rebel Honour Sentry Guard
TSC/#054: Han Solo (Rebel Ceremony Yavin)
TSC/#055: Luke Skywalker (Rebel Ceremony Yavin)
TSC/#056: Rebel X-Wing Pilot
TSC/#057: Death Star Imperial Trooper
TSC/#058: Fan's Choice Poll

Exclusive Basic Figures
Kir Kanos (U.S. Independent Exclusive)
Padmé Amidala - Ilum Outfit (Target)

Take it with a grain of salt since it's just a rumor list (and it still has extra Endor figures on there which weren't announced).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 10:50 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 10:51 AM »
Padmé Amidala - Ilum Outfit (Target)

What outfit is that?
Common sense isn't so common

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 10:52 AM »
Snow Bunny Padme from the Cartoon...

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 10:55 AM »
Thanks.  I like that outfit, but would have liked to seen some of the movie costumes first.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 12:42 PM »
I'm a little disappointed to not see a Stormtrooper in there. They need quit giving us variants to the VOTC Stormtrooper mold and rerelease the Stormtrooper already.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 03:28 PM »
The Fan's Choice fig really makes you scratch your head.  Some of the Endor figs have already been cancelled (or debunked).  If it is true, the Naboo Solider not being a pilot as we thought kind of sucks, and still no word on which version of TPM Obi we're getting, or which two pod racers.  Very odd.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 03:31 PM »
It will be interesting to see how much of this list turns out.  The majority of the "basic figures" on that list have been rumored before (aside from name differences/cancellations - and the Fan's Choice figure), so no big surprises there I guess.  The VTSC and Unleashed stuff is new though, and I really hope those pan out.  I'd be ok if that list sort of capped things off for the year, with around 60 basic figures instead of 80.  It could be a rough year for spending otherwise.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2006, 03:18 PM »
Action-Figure.com is saying there will be over 80 figures this year.    :o

From that article...
"First up is the new Saga range which will have over 80 basic figures from all 6 movies. "

2006 Saga Collection -
53 Basic Figures
12 Episode III Heroes and Villains Figures
14 Episode III Greatest Battles Figures

Well, that's 79 figures right there... and that is only through October or so that we know of.

I remember reading this back in January and thought for sure it must be wrong.  Guess we can thank the repacks for pushing us as far as they have, but man has this year has been out of control for basic carded figures!

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 03:58 PM »
Its crazy!!  I have way too many carded figs but am unsure where to thin out my collection since I have alot of complete runs.   ???