Author Topic: The Gimmick that WOULD have worked...  (Read 14888 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Gimmick that WOULD have worked...
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 05:08 PM »
I understand totally Jeff... I think they ought to just do both, an Unleashed line in this scale and more Evolution type quality of figures.  As for the people that don't think they can pack detail into 3-3/4" scale... they do it all the time with the 3-3/4" line.   ;)

Those Deluxe 3-pks are a pretty good comparison though, and they've sold pretty well.  I think the reason I haven't liked the clone sets too much is because I really didn't like the sculpts, the clones all have too thin of bodies I think.  I think a newer sculpt, with more variety like that could be the way to go too.  Fleet Troopers, BARC Troopers, Battle Droids, etc.  Wouldn't have to be Unleashed then.  I'd settle more for Deluxe 3-pks as long as they didn't have a figure lying down like that one clone and the sculpts were more accurate.  I did go bonkers over the Separatist Droid 3-pk and the Jedi 3-pk they made.  Wonderful additions I thought and they always sold pretty well.

And for the record, I don't like the 2" mini Unleashed.  The figures all look like stubby midgets to me, and kinda fat.

:P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 05:10 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 05:14 PM »
Hmmm... maybe they are using more of a diorama type base to them, and some dynamic poses... but at $15.00 each, they're overpriced.  Not what I have in mind with a 3-3/4" Unleashed line at all.  Especially if they all look that damn happy.  Heck, that's less detailed than the Bossk that came out in 2004.  Plastic must be a lot easier to work with than a metal sculpt, especially for a figure like Bossk.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 05:18 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 07:15 PM »
Now can you take a SA troop and get the stance like the upprer left or lower right Snowtrooper?

I like the clone 3 packs as they are but I would have bought more if they had those poses and forgot the flat one.

The only downside for Evolutions, is you get stuck with a useless Sandtrooper.

That's what a topic like this is intended to do, spark up how we'd like to see it, not what we're afraid of.  Think positive.   :)

Well, how I'd like to see it is super-articulated like the vOTC figures and not static/pre-posed figures like the unleashed.  Sorry if my opinion isn't as valued as one who would agrees whole-heartedly with the idea.  :P

I would rather have the opportunity buy four Super-Articulated, vOTC-esque quality Snowtroopers instead of just settling on getting this in the 3.75" scale:

For example, I only own 1 of the pre-posed Clone Trooper 3-packs from the Clone Wars line, but I own 24 SA Clone Wars Clones.  I've got a limited budget to spend on Star Wars figures, and I'm going to buy what I like.  What I like in my army builders is super-articulation.

I understand what you are saying is that they could be doing more for the diorama builders, but wouldn't 3.75" diorama builders be even happier with SA figures with limitless pose possibilities?  I know I would!

If we are thinking positive here, why not shoot for the moon?  Why settle for pre-posed figures when we know that Hasbro can do better?  I'll save my positive thinking for a possible vOTC treatment for all the OT figures. 

Now, does that mean that I think they shouldn't ever try a 3.75" Unleashed line?  No, of course not because obviously many people would buy them.  I'm sure they would sell very well. 

My point is just that the idea of 3.75" scale pre-posed/static Unleashed figures are just not for me personally when I could be getting stuff like this from Hasbro:

Personally, I would rather buy a Evo Set with SA versions of the Kashyyyk Troopers from that Mini-Unleashed set.  But, hey - that's just me.  :)
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 07:31 PM »
See, I like to collect "action" figures - figures that do stuff.  Figures that move and are posable.  I don't buy the current unleashed figures or the GG Bust-Ups because they don't move.

- I'd much rather have a VOTC styled Han Solo than a unleashed styled "extreme" posed version of Han
- I'd much rather have a VOTC styled Stormtrooper than a 3.75" scale version of the Unleashed Stormie
- I'd much rather have the SA Utapau Clone that is coming out than a 3.75" scale version of the mini-unleashed sculpt

I totally see where you're coming from, Jeff. But speaking for myself personally, most of my figures just end up as static displays so SA is wasted on me frankly. So for many characters, mini-Unleashed might be just as well. It really boils down to what individuals want/expect from their figures. Your mileage may vary. :)

And as Clone Hunter mentioned, there are some poses that can't be achieved even with SA ("Product shown in fantasy situation", etc.) but can be done with preposed figures like the Deluxe 3-packs. There could be both SA "Ultimate" versions for folks that dig those, as well as preposed ones in more dynamic Xtreme poses for those of us that swing that way.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2006, 12:39 AM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: February 1, 2006, 12:24 AM »
I've wondered why the Unleashed line went below the 3.75" line myself, but at the same time I've had the same reservations Jeff, Jesse and others have had and shared...  My fear is that Hasbro says, "You got a 3-pack, you don't need more of this SA...", which they DID say in the Clone Wars run...  They more or less were telling us to F Off, and that we got enough Clones with "all those 3-packs"...

I think what we saw with 2005 though is that articulation is generally more popular too though...  I know my area was deluged with Deluxe Clones for a while, yet the SA sculpt was steadily moving.  They had Deluxe 3-packs on clearance at Wal-Mart even, and the Clones from CW weren't terribly hard to find except the blue one for some reason...  So where does that leave us?

Well I think if Hasbro was guaranteeing a Super Articulated version of a trooper, and THEN doing pre-posed 3-packs or some such, it could maybe work...  For instance, I know I appreciate my 2002 Shaak Ti a LOT more now that I have my 2005 Shaak Ti, ya know what I mean?  I appreciate Death Star Escape Han Solo from POTJ a LOT more now that I have VOTC Han Solo...  For me, the pre-posed should only have a complementary role, not a focus...  That would be my stance.  A pre-posed sculpt shouldn't exist of a figure who isn't poseable yet...  Case-in-point, Barris Offee who has no definitive figure right now.  That kinda blows.

Would I take a pack of 3 pre-posed Stormtroopers?  If I knew the VOTC Trooper was available at a good price and in good quantity, I'd consider the 3-pack then as a complement...  Only one, and I'd only consider it.  The pre-posed Clones actually were what made me decide to say "screw it" to my completist ways with Deluxe figures actually so I'm not sure I'll buy anything out of that sub-line to the basic line...  If they looked good enough and if (and only if) I have a truly great rendition of that same figure already, then I'd consider it...  I'd love a 3-pack of Rebel Fleet Troopers but only if I have a definitive, poseable, full-featured Rebel Fleet Trooper in the line...  which I don't.

And I'd fear Hasbro would say "We just gave you a 3-pack of (Insert Random Army Builder You Want Here) figures, what more do you freaking want?", and basically they'd deny doing this figure super articulated, or that figure super articulated...

I respect your opinion Valin, but at the end of the day these are action figures and really they SHOULD feature articulation at a competitive level in my opinion.  Statues, Figurines, etc. are almost a whole other deal...  Like the unleashed line.  They're not action figures but fall more into the category of Busts or whatnot.  Even Hasbro's taken to classifying them as NOT action figures per se, but as something outside that designation...

Action figures though, should be poseable by the industry definition of the term...  I'm not against the idea of 3.75" unleashed though, I'm just against it so long as Hasbro's NOT doing 3.75" poseable...  They have to deliver on the basic line first is what I'm mostly getting at.  Then they may get my attention on posed 3.75" Unleashed figures...  Until then though, I'm doubtful irregardless of if they're arm;y builders or not...  I just need that high quality, high poseability, action figure for my opinion to change.  And with Hasbro you don't know if you're gonna get that ever, and they'd sit on those 3-packs like they did in the past and say "this is good enough"...

For me, the ROTS Clone 3-packs actually had a coolness to them BECAUSE the basic Clones existed.  That was what I liked about them...  I didn't buy the 3-packs during ROTS but it was more due to their inaccurate paintjobs than anything else.  If I find a ton of Utapau Grunts though, and hypothetically they release a Utapau Clone 3-pack...  I'd consider the 3-pack for my Utapau Clone display I think....  Not till I had my fill of the basic figure though, as that's a top-notch action figure, and what Hasbro should be delivering but tends not to...  And evne then I'd only "Consider" that 3-pack, if I didn't have the $ or my fill of Utapau Grunts I wouldn't buy it.

To me, Hasbro's in far too many gimmicks right now, I'm hoping some of this capital on the line that's spread so damn thin gets put back where it belongs in the basic line and that some of this crap like "Customs" and "Transformers" are nixed in the near future.  They're attrocious.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 1, 2006, 09:51 AM »
I don't think it's a bad idea at all. However, I wouldn't want to see it done just for the simple fact that it'd be too much. If it was in scale with the basic line, I would be tempted to pick it up, and I ain't got the room. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 1, 2006, 10:15 PM »
I'll pass thanks.  The thing that's so appealing about the original unleashed line is that it WASN'T done in the 3 3/4" scale.

I've got a few thousand figures made at 3 3/4" scale with plenty more to come - I certainly don't need slightly more posed versions of the same thing I have, but without the articulation.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: February 2, 2006, 03:16 AM »
These are probably the same debates they have at like a SW Team meeting at Hasbro...  :)  One wants Unleashed in scale with basics, one wants a deluxe line that focuses on big accessories and bigger characters, one wants a $10 pricepoint that focuses on "collectors" figures like VOTC... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 2, 2006, 12:37 PM »
I'll pass thanks.  The thing that's so appealing about the original unleashed line is that it WASN'T done in the 3 3/4" scale.

Funny, the reason I don't collect the larger Unleashed or the minis is because I'd rather stick to a 3-3/4" scale.  Variety in that line is what appeals to me, and this scale has been the bread and butter of Star Wars figures since their inception in the vintage days.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 3, 2006, 04:07 PM »
I don't think that they should be in a fixed pose- it would be really cool to see a top-notch line, not unlike the VOTC, but with detailed paint apps/drybrushing and weathering, soft goods and super articulation, and with a dio-esque base. Maybe sell it for 15 bucks, I would definitely buy that.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Clone On Fire

• Youngling
  • Blaze of Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 4, 2006, 08:14 AM »

Funny, the reason I don't collect the larger Unleashed or the minis is because I'd rather stick to a 3-3/4" scale.  Variety in that line is what appeals to me, and this scale has been the bread and butter of Star Wars figures since their inception in the vintage days.

Yeah I'm sticking to 3 3/4" all the way.  I did find those mini Unleashed several times and was ULTRA tempted by those BARC Troopers.  If those were 3 3/4" scale I'd have been all over that like white on rice, fixed pose, extreme pose, 14 point articulation - whatever the case.  If CHEWIE's idea came to fruition, I'm most likely collect the line then.  But for now, a hangin' on the peg hooks they will be.
They cannot conquer forever!

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 6, 2006, 08:18 PM »
I have to say if done right, I'd buy them.  Like Jesse James, I'd much rather have SA figures, but if I really liked the pre-pose figures, I'd buy the set without first making sure Hasbro made a definitive SA sculpt of the figure.  I really like the pic of the snowtroopers and doubt all those poses could successully be pulled off by even the best SA snowtrooper.   There is plenty of cr@p out there already that some people somewhere are buying, but for the most part is pegwarming.   I'm positive that 3.75" scaled unleashed, if done right and priced right would move much better than the choppers, transformers, ...etc.  My one fear would echo Jesse's that Hasbro would be content with the preposed version, but they have already been content with many terrible figures (action features, for one example) without ever revisiting (as of yet) to give a good figure without some huge friggin' button sticking out of it's back.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 6, 2006, 11:59 PM »

Yeah, but the whole point of the Unleashed line was to be something different and new.  Making it 3 3/4" just makes it slightly different than the last 20 years worth of production in that the style is a bit off and they have less articulation.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: February 7, 2006, 02:41 AM »
Be fun if they simply ditched ANYTHING pre-posed but like GG picked the ball up and ran with it...  Statues are their thing, so why not ya know?  And mini-statues are really what the miniatures line is about...  So let WOTC run that end of little pre-posed cool figures...

And let Hasbro do NICELY (IE: Better than of late) articulated figures for the basic line...  I saw something about articulation recently that said, "What more do you want?", and I can say that I want less crap like holographic miniatures taking up costs that should be incurred by a more poseable figure.

It's 2005, figure's shouldn't have legs that move NO better than they did in 1983...  Times have changed for the line in every respect except articulation, and I still hold a fear that a 3.75" line of pre-posed figures would take something away from a 3.75" line of articulated (nicely) figures...  I'm all for canning the random crap too like choppers, transformers, and the playskool figures.  Galactic Heroes seem to have a niche, fine, but those others and Titaniums and the like are dead in the water.

The debate continues....  :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 7, 2006, 12:42 PM »
Yep, let the debate continue.  I want to see both a nice SA set of a basic line, and a 3-3/4" scale Unleashed line.  Not that they couldn't do the old 7" scale too, I never said to take that away.  But if they're going to go away from it, why not try something like that, so we can build our armies the easy way?

Just get rid of those damn Choppers and Transformers, they're taking up too much space and not selling worth a damn.  At least we know that an Unleashed style of 3-3/4" scale figures would sell.  I'd be willing to be that those against it would be praising it if it were done because you could have both SA figures for poseability plus you could have some for the extreme poses.  I'd be all for that if they did it with some army builders for expanding dioramas and a few movie scenes with a nice diorama base.