Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2006  (Read 64773 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2006
« Reply #225 on: May 21, 2006, 02:13 PM »
Watching my 3 ace starters rehab on the DL is worse than watching paint dry.  It takes for-*******-ever.  And in the meantime I am getting killed.

Time to send out a speedy recovery wish to my fallen heroes:

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #226 on: May 21, 2006, 11:43 PM »
I must have picked up 5 or 6 points in the past 2 days.  My staff is really starting to come around.  I was surprised as all hell to get Kazmir off waivers as I thought for sure someone was going to claim him.  The day I went to pick up the first time Rob had snatched him (same with ******* Liriano who I shouldn't have cut..bastard Brent!) 

Also nice to see Podsednik stealing some bags again

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 22, 2006, 03:18 AM »
I must have picked up 5 or 6 points in the past 2 days.  My staff is really starting to come around.  I was surprised as all hell to get Kazmir off waivers as I thought for sure someone was going to claim him.  The day I went to pick up the first time Rob had snatched him (same with ******* Liriano who I shouldn't have cut..bastard Brent!) 

Also nice to see Podsednik stealing some bags again

You have had an amazing run this past week.  The funny thing about a 6 point gain in 2 days is - easy come, easy go.  That gain can evaporate just as fast as it came.

Scott Kazmir was an amazing pickup.  I drafted the guy.  I probably shouldn't have cut him, but let's face it, he's only been this good for a month.  I mainly cut him because of his WHIP and history of being wild, and I already had 6 staff aces.  But when injuries struck Rich Harden, Ben Sheets, and Mark Prior slow to come back, I really wanted Kazmir back.  But because of the additional injuries to Cantu and Sheffield (and possible pending DL stints for Beltran and Crawford), I went to pick up Kazmir a few days ago when you did but couldn't drop anybody. I literally couldn't part with anybody without having a hole in my starting roster.  I did have the waiver priority over you I believe.  I was actually thinking about dropping Orlando Cabrera and just going without a shortstop for 2 weeks until Cantu came back.  In retrospect, that might have been a good idea.

Still and all, within a few weeks I might be throwing Peavy, Harden, Prior, Sheets, and then whoever is better between Big Unit and King Felix, and that will be adequate, and probably superior pitching.  In the meantime, my pitching staff couldn't be any more decimated than it is.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 22, 2006, 11:25 PM »
The funny thing about Liriano is I picked him up after Scott dropped him, hoping for him to get some saves :P  Right after that the yahoo news is screaming to grab him because he'll be starting.  Alrighty then, I can handle that, so thanks Scott. 

As for Kazmir, I had him through most of last year and I would have picked him up again after Dressel dropped him, but I didn't have any room.  Too damn many pitchers as it is.  And holy crap, could Pettitte suck more?  Yeesh.

I was ready to start crying about injuries on top of all of that because Ramirez had been out 3-4 games with a shoulder injury and not placed on the DL.  Well, he's back today and I have nothing to complain about with him.  I guess having Rollins as a backup isn't all bad.  Now if Lee can come back from his mini-slump and Hernandez can get his average back up there again. 

More fun this year though, lots of movement in the order.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #229 on: May 22, 2006, 11:39 PM »
As I've said before I can't believe how bad I'm sucking at Saves.  The teams are winning either blowouts or losing I guess...plus Mariano has blown how many now...3?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 23, 2006, 12:00 AM »
The funny thing about Liriano is I picked him up after Scott dropped him, hoping for him to get some saves :P  Right after that the yahoo news is screaming to grab him because he'll be starting.  Alrighty then, I can handle that, so thanks Scott. 

As for Kazmir, I had him through most of last year and I would have picked him up again after Dressel dropped him, but I didn't have any room.  Too damn many pitchers as it is. 

I noticed your excess of pitching, as of right now you've thrown 100 more innings than I have.

Time for a symbolic expression of my fantasy baseball mood tonight, despite the current standings:

My injury issues are ironing out.

Gary Sheffield played a rehab game, then left in the 8th inning to drive to Boston.  Apparently he's cured and game ready.

Jorge Cantu says he's returning June 1st.

Having those 2 back will give my offense a huge shot in the arm, bigger power numbers.

On the pitching front...

Jake Peavy has 3 hit the Braves tonight through 7 IP, and check out this line:

7 IP, 3 H, 16 K, 2.57 ERA, 0.57 WHIP.  WOW!!!

Mark Prior is making his 2nd rehab start in the next couple days.

Rich Harden threw off the mound and is 2 weeks away.

Felix Hernandez finally rubbed through the myelin sheath on my last nerve.  ERA near 6 and WHIP of 1.66.  His team gives no run support.  Huge sophomore disappointment.  I finally kicked him to the curb, and though 1 of the 2 studs I had my eye on (Kazmir) is gone, I picked up Justin Verlander who threw a 5 hit shutout tonight with 7 K's and has a 2.70 ERA and 1.10 WHIP on the year.  He has a 100 MPH fastball with movement.  I was not going to let stud #2 slip away.

Ben Sheets had an MRI and his shoulder is A - OK.  No timetable yet for his return.

Things are about to turn around in Dressel Land...

:D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 23, 2006, 12:22 AM »
I was looking at Verlander tonight too, contemplating dropping the aforementioned Pettitte.  I couldn't justify throwing in the towel so soon on Pettitte.  Lots of K's given up if I did. 

As for the innings, yeah, I'm up there, but I'm only 33 or so over the max, so you must be well below.  Wood may prove to be a bust for me after making one start and then having to skip his next because his shoulder was sore :'(  Liriano should make up for that. 

Saves are hurting me bad too, decent enough start, but then Street gets hurt and Wagner sucks huge. 

Wouldn't mind seeing if Crisp can actually play this game though, he's been gone a while now. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 23, 2006, 08:27 AM »
I was looking at Verlander tonight too, contemplating dropping the aforementioned Pettitte.  I couldn't justify throwing in the towel so soon on Pettitte.  Lots of K's given up if I did. 

Not that I'm into offering advice to the competition, but Pettitte is a notorious slow starter, and it seems that every year if you just look at his 2nd 1/2 stats, he'd be the NL Cy Young winner.  That's not to say it's definitely going to happen again this year, but traditionally, he becomes a hitter's nightmare after the break.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 23, 2006, 09:51 AM »
Thanks.  I hadn't looked at his history from the past few years, but it's too early yet to give up on guys that have a proven track record IMO.  I've got a few guys that are just interchangeable parts and I'm happy to dump them at a moment's notice, but a lot of guys I drafted I did so for a reason so I'd like to give them some time yet.  The thing about Pettitte that made me hold him was his innings:K ratio.  It's not overly great, but at the moment it's alright.  His ERA and WHIP are still higher than I'd like, but he's not pitching really poorly or anything, just not getting wins. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #234 on: May 23, 2006, 11:32 PM »
I believe I was at 31 Points at one point last week...big props to Joe Nathan who just threw 2 innings and struck out 5 and got the W to push me up to 44.5...13.5 points in a week!!!

Joe Nathan calls Dressel to tell him that injuries suck

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 24, 2006, 09:16 AM »
I believe I was at 31 Points at one point last week...big props to Joe Nathan who just threw 2 innings and struck out 5 and got the W to push me up to 44.5...13.5 points in a week!!!

Easy come, easy go  :)

Joe Nathan calls Dressel to tell him that injuries suck

I am a victim.

But I also believe I am a sleeping giant right now.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 09:17 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2006, 02:28 AM »
Well I had an awfully hard time updating my roster from day to day from the other side of the freaking world...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2006, 01:09 PM »
Welcome back.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2006, 02:15 PM »
:)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 1, 2006, 01:45 AM »
My first and second round picks, Teixeira and Wright are potentially available if anyone is interested and the price is right.  I'd also be willing to part with Rolen in a package deal with either of the other two.