Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2006  (Read 64766 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2006
« Reply #240 on: June 1, 2006, 10:40 AM »
My first and second round picks, Teixeira and Wright are potentially available if anyone is interested and the price is right.  I'd also be willing to part with Rolen in a package deal with either of the other two.

Proposal sent re: Teixeira
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 1, 2006, 11:42 AM »
My first and second round picks, Teixeira and Wright are potentially available if anyone is interested and the price is right.  I'd also be willing to part with Rolen in a package deal with either of the other two.

What are you in the market for?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 1, 2006, 02:07 PM »
I don't know... I could move Garciaparra to one of those positions and free up my utility spot, so I guess I'd be looking for the best player I can get.  I need bats - my pitching is solid (with the exception of strikeouts) but I'm dead last in HR's.  If the offers aren't substantial, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that Teixeria pulls out of his lackluster start to the season.   I'm not pointing out that I'm looking for substantial offers to hype what I'm selling, but because I'm not really confident that it's a good idea to start trading those guys at this point in the game.  Andruw Jones had a 20+ game streak with only like one homerun and just when I started to sour on him he went and blew up this week... who knows. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 1, 2006, 03:54 PM »
Brent, that was about what I figured you'd say.  As much as I think Teixiera should have better numbers than he does, I'm still looking at him as a top 5 draft pick who should get hot anytime now, and would want someone pretty big for him.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 1, 2006, 04:39 PM »
Brent, that was about what I figured you'd say.  As much as I think Teixiera should have better numbers than he does, I'm still looking at him as a top 5 draft pick who should get hot anytime now, and would want someone pretty big for him.

You're only going to find about 3 or 4 better bats in all of baseball than Teixeira.  Maybe 5:

Albert Pujols
Alex Rodriguez
Manny Ramirez
David Ortiz
Vladimir Guerrero (marginally, if any)

If you hang in there I doubt he'll end up with less than 35 HR anyhow.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 1, 2006, 04:44 PM »
In other news, the injury front on my team is really bordering on comical:

Jorge Cantu (2B/3B) Rehabbing his broken foot still
Gary Sheffield (OF) Going back to the DL with a new wrist injury
Carlos Beltran (OF) Lost time with a hamstring, possibly about to lose more time with a knee injury
Rich Harden (SP) Rehabbing a strained back
Jake Peavy (SP) Missing his next start with shoulder tendinitis
Mark Prior (SP) Vagina has not fully healed yet
Ben Sheets (SP) Out indefinitely with shoulder tendinitis

I'm not telling you guys this to be narcissistic, but I'd be pretty concerned than none of you have put a 10 point lead on me at this point with the massive injuries I've sustained.

One of you should have run away with this by now.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2006, 07:25 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 1, 2006, 05:18 PM »
One of you should have run away with this by now.

I think with the size of the league (small), it's hard to run away with anything.  I'd be doing better, but my pitchers have gone in the ******* of late and I've sustained some injuries there as well.  A couple of key guys have been slumping as well, so momentum is hard to gain.  All you need is a couple of guys to get hot to make ground.  Looking over the stats in general there aren't too many huge gaps, as evidenced by the flipping of the number one spot on a regular basis. 

I'd be happy to run away with it, but I can't get all cylinders firing from my players yet. 

Brent, that was about what I figured you'd say. As much as I think Teixiera should have better numbers than he does, I'm still looking at him as a top 5 draft pick who should get hot anytime now, and would want someone pretty big for him.

It was a totally fair counter-offer, but I'm just not prepared to make that trade at this point.  Arod has been unspectacular yet has some pretty darn nice numbers that I don't want to give up.  I'm inclined to agree with Dressel, much as I'd like to have him, I wouldn't give up on him were I you. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 1, 2006, 08:53 PM »
In other news, the injury front on my team is really bordering on comical:

Jorge Cantu (2B/3B) Rehabbing his broken foot still
Gary Sheffield (OF) Going back to the DL with a new wrist injury
Carlos Beltran (OF) Lost time with a hamstring, possibly about to lose more time with a knee injury
Rich Harden (SP) Rehabbing a strained back
Jake Peavy (SP) Missing his next start with shoulder tendinitis
Mark Prior (SP) Vagina has not fully healed yet
Ben Sheets (SP) Out indefinitely with shoulder tendinitis

Oh this is just perfect.

I just sat down to watch the Yankees vs. Tigers with some special interest tonight since Justin Verlander was pitching against a Yankee lineup devoid of Gary Sheffield, Hideki Matsui, and Derek Jeter, when inning by inning I watched a blood stain grow larger and larger on Verlander's right thigh.  The cause?  A blister on his throwing hand.  I might have just witnessed yet another of my fantasy starting pitchers go down to injury, this time Josh Beckett style (blisters on the pitching hand).  And he got hammered because of it to boot.

In 16 years of playing fantasy baseball, I have never experienced, on my team or anyone else's, such a massive amount of injury problems.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 1, 2006, 09:00 PM »
Matsui... he was just starting to heat up (which he always seems to do once April is over...) before he blew his wrist into a thousand pieces...  Sure it doesn't compare with your pain, and Dye and Rios are valiantly villing the void - but I wish the guy hadn't dove for that fly ball...  :'(

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 1, 2006, 09:33 PM »
Matsui... he was just starting to heat up (which he always seems to do once April is over...) before he blew his wrist into a thousand pieces...  I wish the guy hadn't dove for that fly ball...  :'(

You and me both.  Pretty big Yankee fan here, and I'd gladly trade him being able to play for the Yanks this year for the contribution to your fantasy squad, in a heartbeat.  With Sheff and Godzilla on the shelf, it hasn't been as much fun watching the Yankees.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 1, 2006, 11:31 PM »
LOL, this looks pretty promising for me as well:

"Tampa Bay Devil Rays runner Carl Crawford writhes in pain on the ground after being tagged out at home plate during the fourth inning of a baseball game against the Baltimore Orioles Thursday, June 1, 2006, in Baltimore. Crawford was trying for an inside-the-park home run and was tagged out, after which he jumped up and hit himself in the knee with his helmet. Crawford continued in the game." (He did not continue in the game).

::)
« Last Edit: June 1, 2006, 11:33 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 1, 2006, 11:36 PM »
Is this a ******* joke or what?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 3, 2006, 02:05 AM »
Crawford's play at home and subsequent injury just made #1 on ESPN's not-so-top-ten list for the week. 

Impressive.

(I didn't have a great angle on that replay, but he looked safe to me...)
« Last Edit: June 3, 2006, 02:05 AM by Rob »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 3, 2006, 01:13 PM »
Crawford's play at home and subsequent injury just made #1 on ESPN's not-so-top-ten list for the week. 

Impressive.

(I didn't have a great angle on that replay, but he looked safe to me...)

Yeah, he was safe.  But if the jackass wasn't stomping around like an ******* after the play with that funky ass temper of his, he wouldn't be injured right now. 

Because of that, I now have 9 All Stars out with injuries.

But the good news is that this injury parade has to stop soon, because I barely have any active players left to suffer new ones  ;)
« Last Edit: June 3, 2006, 02:37 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 4, 2006, 02:40 AM »
I wish I could get credit for Arroyo's 4 RBI today...  :P

Let's examine our best and worst moves so far.

I think my biggest blunder was choosing Michael Barrett over Ramon Hernandez when deciding to cut one or the other.  Barrett's been okay, but not nearly as impressive as he was at the start of the season, and Hernandez, who I had last year has stayed pretty freaking hot in comparisson.  I'd love to have that one over.

Making Dontrelle Willis the second pitcher I drafted was dumb too.  It completely slipped my mind that the Marlins had decided to dump their entire team a few months earlier.  All I was thinking was that he was a hell of a player for me a year ago.

My best move would probably be Papplebon.  I just got lucky enough to hear about Foulke being benched fast enough that he was still there.  Arroyo and Glavine, and (recently) Garciaparra have all been pretty solid pick-ups I think.  Dye is having a pretty solid season so far as well, but I just picked him back up recently, so it's early to know whether or not it will be a very good move or just an okay one.  I'm still trying to settle on a permament replacement for Matsui.   :-\

How about you guys?  Which ones do you want to do-over and what steals do you think you landed?
« Last Edit: June 4, 2006, 03:30 PM by Rob »