Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2006  (Read 64858 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2006
« Reply #270 on: June 11, 2006, 12:11 PM »
Re: Chris Young.

I'd have my eye on picking him up for a few weeks now since he started throwing late into games with 0 earned runs.... the 12K performance the other night was enough to make me pull the trigger - since I'm desperate for strikeouts...  I certainly don't expect that every night, he seems to have more potential for K's, ERA, and WHIP than the guy I dropped.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 11, 2006, 12:15 PM »
Re: Chris Young.

I'd have my eye on picking him up for a few weeks now since he started throwing late into games with 0 earned runs.... the 12K performance the other night was enough to make me pull the trigger - since I'm desperate for strikeouts...  I certainly don't expect that every night, he seems to have more potential for K's, ERA, and WHIP than the guy I dropped.

The best part of Chris Young is that the Texas Rangers gave up on him and got rid of him last year.  Once he left the Rangers, you know he had to be good, because the Texas Rangers are not allowed to have any good starting pitchers in their rotation.  It's in the MLB rule book.

Young has strikeout stuff, and moving from the American League (with the DH) to the National League (with the pitcher batting) bumped his K's per 9 up 2.0 on the spot.

He's 6-10" and pretty much a monster, I think you can reasonably expect 14 wins (bad SD offense), 195 K's, ERA under 4.00 and a WHIP under 1.20.  Good pickup.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 11, 2006, 04:56 PM »
Young has strikeout stuff, and moving from the American League (with the DH) to the National League (with the pitcher batting) bumped his K's per 9 up 2.0 on the spot.

Yeah, he instantly becomes the strike out leader on my fantasy team - which is pathetic.  If I'd been going with him all along I'd probably have 40 or so more K's than I do now.  Which wouldn't have translated into more points, but at least I'd be within striking distance of some more points in K's, right now I'm about 70 behind the pack.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 13, 2006, 09:11 PM »
Well, he did it to Atlanta again.  I might be developing a little bit of a man crush here.  Hey Kev, with this stud we may have found Soriano's successor to my heart  ;)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 14, 2006, 03:12 PM »
I can't believe Scott raided my metaphorical dumpster and exhumed the body of Randy Johnson.  Let the man RIP will you?  He had a great career.   :D

The funny thing is, if you sent me a trade offer of Brett Myers for Randy Johnson, I'd have needed less than 1 second to hit the "accept" button on that one.

Look at Randy's replacement on my team though.  Josh Johnson.  For the season he has 5 wins since entering the rotation 4 weeks into the season on the Marlins, who score no runs, has a 2.05 ERA and a 1.16 WHIP, 54 K's/61 IP.  Last outing in place of the Small Unit he pitched 6 innings for me for the W, 7 K's.  I will take that ****.

Now, Jered Weaver.  WHOA!  Where the **** did this kid come from?  4 starts ,4 wins.  1.37 ERA, 0.76 WHIP, 22 K's/26 IP.  I picked him up after 2 starts because I knew this kid was just electric.  If Mike Scioscia sends him back to AAA now that Colon is coming back from the DL, I'm going to scream.  I do not need another reason to hate the Angels.  The Angels have 7 infielders, and there's a kid by the name of Itzuris who should get sent back down to the farm to keep Jered Weaver in the rotation, and move brother Jared Weaver to the 'pen and take his 6 ERA with him.

I need these 2 stud-lets.  Add them to Peavy, Prior, Burnett (5 hitless 7K innings in rehab) and Haren and I should flip the script on this ERA/WHIP problem of mine.  And oh yeah, Sheets and Harden should be back at some point.  I hope.

God I got slaughtered.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 03:56 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 14, 2006, 03:53 PM »
I'm somewhat pleased with my pitching this week too ;)

Liriano
Carpenter
Contreras
Capuano
Pettitte

I'm actually pleased that Wood is on the DL, right now I don't feel like I need him.  ERA and WHIP are higher than I'd like to see, but as a bunch, they're coming around. 

My relievers are a little more worrisome, but I'm ok with those guys as SP.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 15, 2006, 12:47 AM »
I'd like to take this opportunity to rant a little about Teixeira again.

I'm really really losing my patience with him. 

66 games into the season the guy has 6 HR's and 33 RBI's.  Considering I used the #4 pick on him, that's pathetic.  Last year he finished up with 43 HR's and 144 RBI.  He's on pace for about half that unless he turns it around soon.  Here's a list of players on my team who have been more productive

Teixeira: 37 R, 6 HR, 34 RBI, 0 SB, .286
-------------------------------------------------
David Wright - 42 R, 13 HR, 47 RB, 10 SB, .335
Miguel Tejada - 53 R, 16 HR, 51 RBI, 3 SB, .330
Andruw Jones - 39 RBI, 16 HR, 56 RBI, 3 SB, .270
Jermaine Dye - 37 R, 19 HR, 48 RBI, 3 SB, .301
Johnny Damon - 49 R, 9 HR, 31 RBI, 13 SB, .290
Scott Rolen - 42 R, 8 HR, 43 RBI, 4 SB, .351 (In 70 fewer at bats...)
Alex Rios - 45 R, 15 HR, 49 RBI, 8 SB, .341
Nomar Garciaparra - 36 R, 7 HR, 41 RBI, 2 SB, .356

Every one of those guys is better than Teixiera in EVERY category except for Jones in batting average and Damon in RBI.  ****, Johnny Damon has 3 HR more than Teixieria... I should have picked Soriano at #4 and looked for a 1B later on... there were plenty out there.  Even better, Teixeira isn't even on Yahoo's can't-cut-list anymore.  I've been thinking about just putting Garciaparra in at 1B but I know that the minute I bench him is the minute he blows up for 3 HR's in a night...

It's not as depressing as Dressel's injury problems, but it's ******* depressing.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 01:58 AM by Rob »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #277 on: June 15, 2006, 11:18 AM »

"Not Quite Dead"

I'm more than happy to pick up somone who has 8 wins and still gets a K per IP, the rest of my staff can overcome the ERA and WHIP but if last night was a sign of things to come, let me be the first to thank you, Matt :-*

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 15, 2006, 11:59 AM »

I'm more than happy to pick up somone who has 8 wins and still gets a K per IP, the rest of my staff can overcome the ERA and WHIP but if last night was a sign of things to come, let me be the first to thank you, Matt :-*

Scott, if you think 69 K's in 86 IP is "a K per IP", then I think you should be furnishing us with a mock up of your high school diploma, instead of a Randy Vader pic  :-*

By the way, did you look at the WHIP and ERA numbers on the Small Unit?  Let me help you with that as well, 5.32 ERA and 1.36 WHIP.  You're gonna love it.  43 years old and the worst pitcher that I've ever put up with for 12 starts on any fantasy team I've had since 1990, he'll never pitch for me again.

I haven't won 11 fantasy baseball championships in 15 years by giving away valuable players.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 12:03 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #279 on: June 15, 2006, 12:01 PM »

Scott, if you think 69 K's in 86 IP is "a K per IP", then I think you should be furnishing with us with a mock up of your high school diploma, instead of a Randy Vader pic  :-*

By the way, did you look at the WHIP and ERA numbers on the Small Unit?

I should have said over the last month...on that K per IP, I see them the ERA and WHIP I also see the K's and W's and a turnaround a comin' :-*

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 15, 2006, 12:06 PM »

Scott, if you think 69 K's in 86 IP is "a K per IP", then I think you should be furnishing with us with a mock up of your high school diploma, instead of a Randy Vader pic  :-*

By the way, did you look at the WHIP and ERA numbers on the Small Unit?

I should have said over the last month...on that K per IP, I see them the ERA and WHIP I also see the K's and W's and a turnaround a comin' :-*

"Turnaround comin'?"  Not at 43 dude.  His turnaround around came, the 3rd week of this past April.  And that turn was downward.  His ERA and WHIP rose in that month time span.  Try again.

:-X
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 12:09 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 15, 2006, 02:15 PM »
Anyone know if suspended players can be put on the DL or if there's any kind of N/A listing?

My catcher's about to start serving 10 games, and I'm not about to drop any of my bench guys for a temporary catcher - but I hate to lose ten games at the position...

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 15, 2006, 08:38 PM »
Anyone know if suspended players can be put on the DL or if there's any kind of N/A listing?

My catcher's about to start serving 10 games, and I'm not about to drop any of my bench guys for a temporary catcher - but I hate to lose ten games at the position...

They can't be placed on the DL.

Barrett likely will have an "NA" in red after his name, but can only be placed on your bench.  Unless you drop a bench player and pick up a catcher, you'll just lose the 10 games.

:'(

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 15, 2006, 08:41 PM »
Don't cry for me Argentina.

Maybe a miracle will happen and his suspension will be overturned.   :-X

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 15, 2006, 09:06 PM »
Don't cry for me Argentina.

Maybe a miracle will happen and his suspension will be overturned.   :-X

I'm still kinda shocked that Pierzynski was still standing after that shot.  I would have landed somewhere in the 3rd row.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 09:07 PM by Dressel Rebel »