Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2006  (Read 64236 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2006
« Reply #375 on: August 18, 2006, 11:29 PM »
Whoo hoo - 6 HR's today (most by my team in any given day) led by 2 from damon with 4 runs scored and 7 RBI (double header)...

And I've got a few pitchers who are doing good things finally... namely Haren and Hamels...

Maybe all hope isn't lost just yet.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 22, 2006, 09:28 PM »
Alright Brent and Dressel, explain to us how the trade you guys have pending is a fair one.

I know the rankings aren't always the most accurate things out there, but I see Brent giving up numbers 89, 144, 60, and 181 in exchange for numbers 24, 26, and 34.

Thome and Crawford are bonafide fantasy studs, Carlos Guillén and Gary Matthews Jr. are guys Brent picked up off the waiver wire recently.  Putz for Capuano looks like a fair deal, but the rest of it stinks.

I'm not pointing fingers, but I don't like the way this deal looks one bit.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 09:29 PM by Rob »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 22, 2006, 10:40 PM »
Yeah, I figured you'd say that:

Outfield:

G. Matthews Jr. 72 runs; 14 HR; 65 RBI; 07 SB; .310 season avg.
C. Crawford       70 runs; 15 HR; 64 RBI; 43 SB; .313 season avg.

Infield (or utility where I played Guillen and will play Thome)

C. Guillen           74 runs; 14 HR; 70 RBI; 17 SB; .309 season avg.
J. Thome            93 runs; 36 HR; 90 RBI; 00 SB; .294 season avg.

Stud vs. waiver wire with Crawford versus Matthews?  Yeah, I know where I got him but look at those numbers right there.  And while I'd agree that Matthews is down for the week, that's because they're away from Texas, where he hits a lot better (as do the rest of them).  I consider it a fair trade and I needed to unload one of the three Texas outfielders I'm sitting on.  I picked up SB in the deal, but gave back some (not all, obviously) by giving up Guillen, who was slotted in my utility spot specifically for average (which I gave up to get Thome) and stolen bases. 

I'll agree with your comment more in the Thome vs. Guillen aspect.  I'm gaining runs, HR and RBI potential but giving up average and stolen bases.  I won't argue with him being a waiver wire pickup versus a great early pick, but that's part of why I gave up Capuano....

You see Capuano for Putz but make no mention of Julio being in there as well.  I had to give up an extra guy to make the deal work for me, or drop a guy.  Julio had a crappy outing last week and the reports are that he may not hold his closer job.  Yeah, here are the names of the guys I've dropped that have had that said about them earlier in the season:

JJ Putz
T. Jones

Now go look at their stats and see what an idiot I was to drop both of them based on Yahoo reports they might be losing their jobs.  I picked up Zumaya at one point based on four consecutive bad games by Jones.  Not really a reliable source of information. 

What that means is I gave up one of my closers AND a pretty darn good pitcher, not just Capuano for Putz.  And I just lost Street to the DL as well, so I'm pretty desperate in sitting in first with one closer threatened with demotion and another on the DL. 

I offered Scott up Liriano, who is on the DL and may not pitch again this year for Hoffman earlier this week.  Part of that is humor from a deal we'd sort of worked out when I was down in  MN but I renegged on because I decided I didn't have that great of pitching after all (look at Contreras, Pettitte and Capuano's winning of late to see I was right).  But it's a gamble trade if Liriano does or doesn't come back. 

No way are you or Scott going to trade with me.  I don't like Famine's relievers that much and didn't see as much upside with the other guys he has in certain respects (e.g. SB).  I didn't think the Cuspids or Diablos were far enough out to go for a trade like that. 

I needed a reliever and got one, giving up a guy that has been a good reliever for me and also a good pitcher.  Capuano's ERA and WHIP are both below my season averages meaning he's been helping keep them down.  Julio has one win and 16 saves.  For BOTH of those guys I'm getting Putz, a guy I used to have and who can help my ERA and WHIP.  On top of that I need to take a pitcher out of rotation because my innings are high. 

Matthews for Crawford is fair alone.  All I gain is SB which I'm sitting at the top of anyway. 

Thome for Guillen is less fair, but that's where the pitching duo comes into play as well.  But I give up some SB by offloading Guillen (compensated for by Crawford), some average (which could gain you a point) but I gain some HR potential, which might get me a point.  Thome was drafted in round 14.  That was after I had drafted Coco Crisp, Jason Varitek, Cliff Lee and the same round as Doug Davis.  All of those guys I've dropped. Yes, his numbers are really nice now, but he's a bit of a surprise too. 

Read that and tell me what you think.  I totally expected you and Scott to be displeased and specifically tried to make the trade as fair as possible.  Do you think I did a bad job of that?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #378 on: August 22, 2006, 11:12 PM »
I don't think its totally fair at first glance...but I didn't totally study it either

Why anyone would trade anything to the guy in first place is the bigger head scratcher...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 23, 2006, 10:11 AM »
I don't think it's totally fair, but you make some decent points ala Crawford ofr Matthews Jr...

I still don't like it though, and I'm with Scott - I can't figure out why anyone would give a slanted trade, even if it's not as slanted as I first thought, to the guy in first place.  Dressel seems to have all but thrown in the towel and unloading his second round pick and Thome (who was only picked that low because of his hideous injury-plagued year last year (a year I drafted him in the third or fourth and suffered through)) who certainly isn't a 14th round caliber player in exchange for some solid but unspectacular players.

In the past whenever I've tried to trade with Dressel, or when he's stepped in and given Kevin advice on trading with me, he's never accepted anything less than a deal that was skewed in his favor - and this one simply isn't. 

Maybe it's just me sitting in second place and not wanting you to distance yourself, maybe it's because I don't think the Thome part is fair, but I have to vote against this one.

Nothing personal though - even if Scott and I vote against it, someone else would have to as well and I doubt there is a third vote anywhere, so it will probably go through..

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 23, 2006, 11:17 AM »
On another note, where did Kevin go?

Are you even playing Kevin?

You've got SIX guys on your team with more HR's than ANYONE on my team, and you're on pace for -280 innings-pitched.

With more pitching you could have done a lot in this league... but it looks like you've barely managed your team all season.

What's the deal?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 23, 2006, 01:24 PM »

Maybe it's just me sitting in second place and not wanting you to distance yourself, maybe it's because I don't think the Thome part is fair, but I have to vote against this one.

Whew.  Thanks for protecting me against Brent, he told me he was going to take advantage of me, and threatened me, so I had to accept his proposal.  We need more fantasy owners like you Rob, to stand up against bullies like Brent.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 23, 2006, 01:40 PM »
What, it was okay when you becamse the broker between me and Kevin?

Besides, I wasn't insinuating that Brent was taking advantage of you, I was insinuating that maybe you just don't care about your team so much anymore and don't have any qualms about making the first place team even stronger..
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 02:10 PM by Rob »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 23, 2006, 02:17 PM »
What, it was okay when you becamse the broker between me and Kevin?

Besides, I wasn't insinuating that Brent was taking advantage of you, I was insinuating that maybe you just don't care about your team so much anymore and don't have any qualms about making the first place team even stronger..

Well, that thing betwen you and Kev was not a trade that both parties accepted and up for possible veto by the league.  That was just Kev asking me my opinion on what he should get back for Soriano.  By the way, I was right about that one.  Halladay or bust for Soriano, we thought.

This trade between me and Bug, I have to do it.  I am dead last in ERA and WHIP, next to last in Wins.  I got Capuano now, and I just gotta hope Peavy, Sheets, Burnett, Myers, Weaver do what they can do.  That's the area that needs the most improvement and I addressed it.

Go ahead and cast a vote to veto my trade, but there's nothing wrong with this one.  I'm trading off my excesses to get an area I need work on.

:)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 23, 2006, 02:27 PM »
Rob,
I understand your points and do not think them unreasonable.  At the same time I'm not pulling my rationale of 4 for 3 out of my ass.  I still need Thome to hit a bunch of HR for this to work and make a big difference.  He might get hurt or might cool off, I am giving up average to get him (and SB and a pitcher).  I don't think I left my roster unscathed to get what I'm getting.  I'd far rather unload Contreras than Capuano to be blunt.  

If you feel sufficiently strongly, I'd suggest emailing the guys in 4/5 slots and letting them know and have a look.  I know they're Dressel's buds, but they're still not out of it either.  They may well share your opinion.  I'd ask you guys veto it soon if you do.  If it's really Thome that's bothering you, so be it.  I'd still be happy with offloading one of my Texas guys and taking Crawford.  I'm not sure I wouldn't want to alter it further though as well because I wouldn't give up both Julio and Capuano to get Putz.  One or the other, yes, both, no.  I'll keep Guillen and retain his average and SB's.  

Veto it before the deadline and I'll propose the following:

Me: Matthews Jr and Capuano
Dressel: Crawford and Putz

I keep Julio and Guillen and don't get Thome.  Thome seems to be the sticking point.

And just to clarify one point from earlier, when I renegged on the Liriano/Hoffman deal with Scott I didn't totally bail on a trade.  I opted to keep Liriano and offered up Chris Carpenter instead in a one for one deal.  If you like rankings for comparisons, that was a 72 for 73 deal at the time.  In retrospect it would have been a far better deal given Liriano's injury, but Scott rejected the trade.  

And I do hope it's nothing personal.  I'm trying to win and found a trade.  I tried to make it a fair trade and did expect opposition.  But have you proposed anything to anyone lately?  I agree with your comments about Kevin's team, it's like he walked away totally.  Having looked at his roster in detail he had a good shot, had he managed his team and there was lots of pitching to pick up on through the year, as you, I and Dressel have done.  Me moreso with relievers but I've snagged a few starters lately too.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 23, 2006, 02:39 PM »
You know Bug, you're really being too nice about this.  I don't think it's up to Rob to whine about our deal that we mutually accepted until we make that trade that he wants us to make.

If Rob doesn't like the fact that my team or your team is getting better through a fair mutually beneficial deal, let him go make his own trade before the deadline.

Enough of this, these protests by Rob are becoming more and more ridiculous.

Veto it before the deadline and I'll propose the following:

Me: Matthews Jr and Capuano
Dressel: Crawford and Putz

Let not the fact that I don't want to make that particular version of the trade be lost.  Let's keep the trades that you and I make to our liking, not Rob's.  This isn't a 3 way deal.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 02:44 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 23, 2006, 03:28 PM »
More and more ridiculous?

Alls I said was that I didn't like the trade.  I asked for an explanation - listened to it, and then I admitted that Brent had fair points and that it wasn't as skewed as I thought it was at first glance.  I also admitted that in part I don't like the trade because it will make the team I'm trying to catch better but I still think it's skewed towards Brent, mostly because of Thome.  Obviously you don't feel that way.

So I decided to vote against it.

I don't expect it to be vetoed at all and I'm not going to email other people and lobby for it to be vetoed.  I asked for some explanations, I got them, I voted.  If other people want to vote the same way, they can.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 03:29 PM by Rob »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 30, 2006, 10:20 AM »
Wow, Dressel drops Gary Mathews Jr... what does that say about the trade that was made a few days ago?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 30, 2006, 10:36 AM »
Wow, Dressel drops Gary Mathews Jr... what does that say about the trade that was made a few days ago?

It means that Tom Mastny is a stud closer that I didn't want to pass on.  It means I replaced Putz and still got my Capuano.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 30, 2006, 10:46 AM »
If that trade hadn't happened would you have ever considered dropping Crawford?