Author Topic: Sideshow Gets 12" Figure License!  (Read 12713 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Sideshow Gets 12" Figure License!
« on: July 13, 2005, 10:50 PM »
Great news for all of you that miss the 12" line from Hasbro... Sideshow Collectibles is bringing a new 12" line of figures about mid 2006. More details are expected at Comic-Con, but you can read Sideshow's press release here.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Sideshow Gets 12" Figure License!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 11:00 PM »
Holy @%R  I can not believe it!  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  I just wonder what they will make and how much they will be.  But that's great news. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 11:16 PM »
Great news! 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 11:35 PM »
So is the 12" line going to reboot or is Sideshow going to pick up where Hasbro left off? There's still plenty of possibilities without re-making a lot of the 12" figures already out there.

From reading the release it looks like Sideshow Toys is indeed partnering with Hasbro in order to make the 12" line - so I wonder if Hasbro is going to be reselling the figures designed and manufactured by Sideshow toys or (and I'm praying to god here that it comes true) are we going to just be able to order our 12" SW figures directly from Sideshow's website? Please oh please let that be a possibility!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 02:54 AM »
This is HUGE news.

If you guys know SS's 12" figures, they're fantastic.  They compete with the likes of BBI, and the infamous Dragon figures.  So 12" Star Wars figures in that vein will be fantastic.  They'll even make the Marmit figures look weak I think...  More like model kits than figures.

They had a great World War I line I think...  And a Civil War line.  Outstanding sculpts and realism. 

This almost makes me wanna get back into 12" but I'd still dump the majority of my Hasbro stuff.  Taking on a new (old) scale though...  Ugh.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 06:41 AM »
I haven't  bought 12 inch figures in a long time, but I will now that Sideshow is doing them.  I'm hoping they're in the 40.00 range  like other Sideshow stuff.  The cool thing is that Sideshow is very creative with accesories.  Their Planet of the Apes  figures come with the little human doll from the dig!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 09:07 AM »
This is the best news yet from Comic-Con.

And what makes it even cooler is the fact that Hasbro is partnering with them - what that means exactly, I don't know, but I'm sure it's to SS's advantage in regards to pricing and royalty payments.

And it's a plus for us - it sounds like we'll be able to find these at mass retailers come next year.  Retailers will be more likely to carry a SW figure line with Hasbro's name on it.

Now I don't feel obligated to order the Medicom $200 Vader!!   ;D

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 09:25 AM »
I don't know if it's a good thing having Hasbro partner with them.  Hasbro has made some terrible figure choices lately in this scale.  I don't think anyone really wants to see another Tatooine Luke for awhile.  Granted whatever Sideshow does will be better but still. 

There is hope for my 12 inch Hammerhead yet!  Please oh please! 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 09:27 AM »
I've never really been a 12" figure collector either (only have 4-5 or so), but this does seem like great news for the line.  And, with what Hasbro is doing with their 3 3/4" line right now, it might be worth a look.  I hope this turns out great though for all you 12" collectors.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 10:46 AM »
Bong, great news. Will be interesting to see what they look like. Oh man, Bob is going to go nuts!  ;D

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 01:37 PM »
To be honest, I can't see Sideshow starting out of the gate with a Tatooine Luke.

While there may be a Darth Vader, Stormtrooper and either a Boba or Jango Fett - just coming out with nice versions of 12" ROTS Anakin and Obi-Wan would be welcome IMHO.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 03:26 PM »
In their press material, Sideshow talks of "continuing" Hasbro's line.  Maybe an E3 Kenobi and Anikin will be a good place to start, since Hasbro didn't  do them as  individual figures.

I think that they'll have to do some OT at the start too.  My outside guess would be a Bespin Luke and Boba Fett.  Sideshow plays to the fans, and the fans love ESB.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 03:52 PM »
Here's the skinny so far on what details could be surmised outta the Sideshow reps down at SDCC (courtesy of Jared):

Sublicensed from Hasbro, but their relationship is directly with Lucasfilm Licensing with the line.

Targeting $50.00 price point. There will be fluctuation based on COGs

Emphasis on accessories and accurate tooling. Leather belts, metal saber hilts, etc.

Same level of pattern work and stitching on the clothing as the 1/4 scale statues.

Many of the same folks working on the 1/4 scale will also be on 12"

Packaging will be "book-like." It will be a fold-out two piece design, meant to be as collectible as the figure inside.

A balance of OT and PT. EU is also being considered.

Mid-2006 release. No specific figures announced yet.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 04:15 PM »
$50, eh?  That's getting into a pricey range.  I'm sure Sideshow can produce the products that will warrant the price, but it will likely cause a lot of collectors to be fairly selective on what they buy.

Of course, this is coming from a guy who only owns one 12" figure, so that it with a grain of salt.   ;)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 05:32 PM »
Oh man, Bob is going to go nuts!  ;D

Him and me both  ;D.

This is great news.  I am thrilled the 12" line is continuing and really hope for a decent Padme in all of this.  I 'm betting the first one will be ROTS Obi-Wan.
Beth