Author Topic: Sideshow Gets 12" Figure License!  (Read 12751 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Sideshow Gets 12" Figure License!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 07:48 PM »
This is awesome news!  I've admired Sideshow's quality in their recent 1/4 scale figures, and it looks like we'll get some great figures with close to medicom/marmit quality with a pricepoint that's closer to Hasbro's!

I'm glad we're not in April.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 09:37 PM »
For those of you who haven't seen their 12" Military figures...  Behold:

& A shot of some of his stuff:

Not Star Wars, but it gives you an idea of the kinda quality SS puts out in its 1:6 lines.  The likenesses of historical characters I've seen are striking.  Currently they have a G.A. Custer figure up that, if you've seen photographs of him, is 100% spot-on accurate.

They cater to the collectors...  Short of Hasbro stepping on toes, I don't see how this could be anything but a blessing to 12" collectors.  Well, besides price...  They seem to be aiming for a price higher (I'd say most likely due to licensing) than their other 1:6 product.

(BTW,  I thought this was sorta hysterical really...  Sideshow reviews their own toys on their site...  Obviously they're not the most impartial reviews to read.  :D )
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 09:39 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 07:31 AM »
I preorderd the Medicom Stormtrooper and now have been wondering if that was a good move.  If Sideshow puts out this kind of work (and only for $50), I can't see Medicom being in great demand for collectors of the 12" line.  Fifty bucks might seem like a lot but I'm shelling out $200.00 for Luke just because I love the different poses that I will be able to create.
Beth

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 05:41 PM »
Cool!  Hopefully we get lots of cool accessories with our 12 inch SW figures.  I really want to see what they can do.  I will have to start saving my money now for these at $50 a pop.  Yikes! 

Offline Jessica-of-Naboo

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2005, 01:19 AM »
$50 is high

sideshow figures that i have seen
i have not been impressed by them

i've seen sideshows marked down  to $5 to $10 range
personal illness
i will gone for one month

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2005, 01:21 AM »
'BOUT TIME!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2005, 03:01 PM »
50.00 is higher than i was expecting. I am looking forward to this line, and want to buy them, but i am not sure if i can afford it. I dont even want to imagine all the exclusives they are going to have.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2005, 02:07 PM »
Realistically, 50.00 is fine.  In NYC, the Sideshow figures (Planet of the Apes, Outer Limits, X-Files) all seem to got for about $40-45.  I would expect that SW would be a bit more expensive.  It's always seems to be the case.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline pakledjim

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 2, 2005, 02:36 PM »
I'm getting mixed emotions from this news. While I do collect some Sideshow 12" (Buffy, X-Files) and they do an excellent job on most figures, there are a few they dropped the bomb on. Plus I don't like the way they do eyes. They're always pink like they've spent the night drinking or they all have a bad case of Conjunctivitis. Plus the increase in price added to the fact that for Buffy 12" they have a lot of Con exclusives and I wouldn't be surprised if they did that with the Star Wars.

jiM

traded with:darthmaul94, Big Mac, Captain J Sparrow, starwax137,

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #24 on: August 4, 2005, 02:17 AM »
I have the Buffy 12" they did last year and paid $45 and was pretty impressed with it.

To spend $5 more and get a beautifully-crafted Star Wars character is great. I just really hope they don't do the con exclusives that have been in the Buffy line. If they can avoid that, great. I'd find the money to get these if they release one every few months.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline alexandertrooper

• Youngling
  • 501st for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 5, 2005, 09:16 PM »
wow I can't wait.  I never did buy many 12" from hasbro because it was hard to find any good ones but now that ss is doing them I will be for sure buying them as they come out.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 5, 2005, 09:54 PM »
While I'm generally of the mindset that I'd rather pay a little more for a higher quality item, $50.00 pricepoint probably means the end of my 12" collecting.

My strategy for 12" has generally been to buy them on clearance, or loose at toy-shows for $10.00 or less a piece.

If I'm going to spend $50.00 on a single item, I'd much rather be finishing my vintage (loose) collection or buying Gentle Giant mini-busts.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: August 5, 2005, 11:42 PM »
If they picked the right figures, I'd actually consider picking these up...  price hike and all.

If Kyle Katarn got a 12" figure though, forget it...  I'm there.  He's only the best EU character EVER to come down the pike...  I can imagine them decking him out with the shitloads of gear he uses in the games too.  Oh man...   Maybe even multiple heads for the various stages of his "aging".  Like NJO era with grey streaks and beard, the classic trilogy era with no grey and stubble beard, etc...  Sweet.

And the gear...  IM Mines, Thermal Detonator Bandoleir, Imperial Railgun with explosive projectiles, Imperial Repeater Rifle, Imperial E-11, Bryar "pistol" Sawed Off Blaster Rifle, Fusion Cutter...  And his harness/PDSU, and of course a nice kick-ass Qu-Rahn Lightsaber...  Oh yeah, and his headset w/IR Goggles, head lamp, etc.

Katarn could be the ultimate SW figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 9, 2005, 12:55 PM »
12 EU Quinlan Vos.

I'd buy 2.

Think, they could make him in his war/street gear, include Jedi Robes, and a Sith Cloak. His Blaster, Saber, Thermal Detonators, and Holocron would all be included as well.

I want it now.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #29 on: August 9, 2005, 01:43 PM »
And the gear...  IM Mines, Thermal Detonator Bandoleir, Imperial Railgun with explosive projectiles, Imperial Repeater Rifle, Imperial E-11, Bryar "pistol" Sawed Off Blaster Rifle, Fusion Cutter...  And his harness/PDSU, and of course a nice kick-ass Qu-Rahn Lightsaber...  Oh yeah, and his headset w/IR Goggles, head lamp, etc.

Katarn could be the ultimate SW figure.

Why do I get the feeling you would want the rail gun projectiles to actually explode?  :)
This is the way.

I have spoken.