Author Topic: New Hyperspace Comics  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Ghost of QG

• Jedi Initiate
  • Pimpin' the Midwest
    • View Profile
New Hyperspace Comics
« on: February 3, 2006, 09:03 PM »
From the official site:

Since their launch in 2004, the comic strip adventures chronicled in a quartet of webstrips have proven to be a favorite of Hyperspace members. A mix of new and classic stories, the webstrips provide an addictive reason to visit starwars.com each day, as exciting Star Wars tales unfold one strip at a time.
Rookies, an all-new webstrip, is set to launch next week. Written and illustrated by Pablo Hidalgo, Rookies is set in the classic era of the original trilogy, and follows a new band of inexperienced heroes as they learn the ropes of Rebellion. Previously, Hidalgo had adapted the Star Wars short story, "A Hunter's Fate: Greedo's Tale" for Hyperspace webstrips.

"It took a while to figure out what I should do for a follow-up to 'Greedo's Tale,'" says Hidalgo. "Initially, the idea was to do an adaptation of a previously published story, but it was hard to find one of the right length. There were no shortage of suggestions, as fans who have taken to the webstrip format wanted their favorite stories told in this fashion. The problem is, a novel could take years to tell in this format, and it still wouldn't do it justice."

The solution was to tell an original story, written for the webstrip format. "It's an assortment of new characters, but the setting isn't entirely new," says Hidalgo. Many of the story elements will be taken from old roleplaying game scenarios originally published from 1987 to 1994. "I'm hoping long-time Expanded Universe fans will get a kick out of seeing certain things that haven't been touched since the late-'80s, mixed in with elements from the more modern Star Wars universe."

Rookies begins with "Rendezvous", the first chapter in what may be a continuing story. "If this reads like a pilot, it's no accident," says Hidalgo. "It's meant to be an origin story for a potentially recurring cast of characters. If readers like it, there will be more."

Other strips currently playing include "Han Solo at Stars' End," an adaptation of Brian Daley's novel by Archie Goodwin and Alfredo Alcala, which originally appeared in newspapers in the 1980s. Also wrapping up is "Traitor's Gambit," by Goodwin and Al Williamson, which will soon be followed by "The Night Beast," again from the 1980s run.

That covers three strips... but what of the fourth slot, previously occupied by Evasive Action: Recruitment? Drake, Ekria and Zonder will return in Evasive Action: Prey.  Coming in March 2006, the new series written by Paul Ens and illustrated by Tom Hodges finds Inquisitor Tremayne desperate to find and eliminate the Padawans before Darth Vader learns of his failure.  Meanwhile, the impetuous Order 66 survivors get themselves entangled in the affairs of a ruthless and ambitious up-and-coming green-skinned reptilian member of the Black Sun crime syndicate.

Only Hyperspace members have access to these daily webstrips. If you're not already a member, sign up today!

As a comic fan, I have to say that Evasive Action and Reversal of Fortune were great comics, worthy of being printed and colorized. I do look forward to Prey. I'm not so sure about Rendezvous, but I'll give it a try.

BTW, does anyone know how big an e-mail file can be? I've saved these to my hard drive and have cut them so  they look like comic book pages. They are about 10 MB in size. If anyone wants a copyof  Evasive Action and/or Reversal of Fortune , and I can find a way to e-mail them, shoot me a PM.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2006, 09:09 PM by Qui-George »

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
Re: New Hyperspace Comics
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 11:10 AM »
I think I may have read a few, it was something with commander bly and aayla secura.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Ghost of QG

• Jedi Initiate
  • Pimpin' the Midwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 01:33 AM »
That one was Reversal of Fortune, which deserves printing and colorization. Great read.

Offline Ghost of QG

• Jedi Initiate
  • Pimpin' the Midwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 3, 2006, 09:39 PM »
From the official site:

Webstrip Update: Evasive Action: Prey
March 03, 2006

Since 2004, starwars.com Hyperspace members have enjoyed comic strip adventures featuring a mix of rare classics and brand-new stories. In true serial fashion, each day a new piece of the story unfolds bringing the reader back to starwars.com to find out what happens next.
Next week launches Evasive Action: Prey, an all-new sequel to the popular Reversal of Fortune and Evasive Action: Recruitment arcs. Writer Paul Ens and Illustrator Tom Hodges return to continue the adventures of fugitive Jedi Padawans Drake, Ekria and Zonder.

"They survived Order 66 on Felucia and started to make some peace with their new place in the world during Recruitment," says Ens. "But these are three teenagers who are way too restless to live the rest of their lives in hiding. They want to live out the original Jedi ideals of keeping the peace and fighting for those who can't fight for themselves. The problem is they're not fully trained."

In this third "Evasive Action" installment, the enthusiastic trio inadvertently adds Prince Xizor to their rogues gallery. "While he is mentioned in Holonet News, timeline-wise this is the first real appearance of Xizor," Ens smiles. "It was fun to dig into Black Sun lore with details for the Expanded Universe fan. Prey also sows some seeds for the upcoming Coruscant Nights: Jedi Twilight novel by Michael Reeves."

Promotional art for the series also reveals a familiar-looking bounty hunter. Ens is coy on the subject. "I want to save some surprises. It's safe to assume that it's not baby Princess Leia under the mask."

Also new for Prey is an expanded size. "I wanted to bring the strip up to a new level," says Hodges, "to be able to make the action a bit bigger and the art a bit more enjoyable. I'm used to 11" x 17" comic pages, so Reversal of Fortune and Recruitment were a whole new way of telling a story for me. I love the previous strips, but I really think the fans will appreciate what I'm going for with this."

On March 6 Evasive Action: Prey joins three other on-going stories -- Han Solo at Star's End, The Night Beast and Rookies: Rendezvous. Only Hyperspace members have access to these daily webstrips. If you're not already a member, sign up today!