Author Topic: New JD Review: Tomy RC R2-D2 "RC-D2"  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: Tomy RC R2-D2 "RC-D2"
« on: February 6, 2006, 08:16 PM »
A new review is up and running for your reading fun, plus a little viewing pleasure...  I was surprised how many people I talk to who passed on this figure, because this was one of the surprise hits of 2005 to me and thus I felt a full review of it was still a worthy story. 

I speak of the Japanese Exclusive, Remote Controlled R2-D2 figure from 2005...  Or "RC-D2" for short.

This was one of the greatest little surprises to come down the 3.75" line in quite a while...  Not that he was really even an official part of the U.S. line but still it's a great figure no doubt. 

Besides the RC feature working quite flawlessly on a smooth surface, the figure is a sharp sculpt and accurate size for the basic figure line.  If you had a big "Death Star" diorama set up as an obstacle course for R2, I could see this even translating into a really cool little game...  Of course I'm just thinking out loud here.

Anyway, the figure's a good sculpt, great paintjob...  The action feature is probably the best in a series of bad "gimmicks", so I even enjoyed that.  And I noted in my review that this is probably the last truly innovative R2-D2 we'll ever se...  What more do you do with this character afterall, ya know?

So if you don't own this, I'd track one down...  Read the full review though, see what all I'm talking about and I have to say a HUGE vote of thanks to our photo guru Jared for the kick ass little video clip too.  Check out the review for the Video of RC-D2 in action, even if ya just hate my writing and opinions.  :)  The video made it all worthwhile to me, hah.

Thanks guys for looking.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2006, 08:17 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: Tomy RC R2-D2 "RC-D2"
« Reply #1 on: February 6, 2006, 11:39 PM »
I've heard nothing but great things about this R2. However, he still looks a tad out of scale with the 3 3/4". Have any comparison shots?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2006, 12:37 AM »
Have any comparison shots?

How about a comparison with RotS #48 R2-D2 from Hasbro?

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2006, 12:43 AM »
Not too bad of a difference there especially with the wheels on the RC-D2 elevating him a bit.

Astromech platform heels I guess.

He fits in good with basic figures...  I really think a "course" for him to roll around on that looked like the Death Star or a Mos Eisley maze would be funny. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2006, 06:42 PM »
Great review as always Jesse.  I was lucky enough to get one of these and think he's great!  Another great "freak out the cat" toy!  ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2006, 09:59 AM »
Thanks Jeff! It' so tempting to pick up one of these guys.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 04:55 PM »
I would recommend picking one up before they are gone.

My 3 year old loves playing with it - word to the wise though - keep in mind that this is an infrared controlled toy, which means you have to "point" the remote directly at the R2 unit for it to respond.  Similar to your TV remote.

A lot of people don't realize this until they buy it.

With radio control, you don't have to point the remote directly at the unit in order to catch the frequency -
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 04:55 PM by ruiner »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 07:16 AM »
I actually didn't have to point it directly Ruiner, but I didn't try pointing it from like behind something or really odd angles...  I know I was running it from another room with an open doorway, but wasn't pointing it directly at the time...

Then again I can flick my TV from the other room with the remote facing exactly opposite so it may be redirecting the "beam" or whatever off the wall or something, I dunno.   :-\

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 12:25 PM »
Hmmm, mine doesn't work as well.

When we play with it, we have to piont the remote directly at the R2 unit. 

Either way, it is infrared controlled - otherwise you'd have an antenna on the remote.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 01:44 AM »
Yeah definitely.  I'm not being tech correct with its description...  :)

I'm glad it's infrared though, because true RC would really look ****** actually, haha.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 12:45 PM »
Actually, you are correct.

"Remote control" is accurate.