Author Topic: Concept Toys  (Read 5595 times)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Concept Toys
« on: May 7, 2003, 01:54 PM »
I like concept art. To me, it's the most authentic EU material there is since it's from the minds that developed the look of the movies themselves. Naturally, I'm thrilled to see the McQuarrie Stormmtrooper being produced, I just hope I can get my hands on one (or a dozen).

But there's more than just throwaway costume designs to be had. There are set designs that would make great playsets, and vehicles that would make terrific small ship designs. Then there's the concept duck:

I need this duck in my concept collection, right next to a Concept Vader and Concept Chewie. But I digress...

Anyone else around here prefer the notion of Hasbro using concept art rather than letting their designers try to top those who created the Star Wars Universe in the first place?
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Concept Toys
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2003, 02:13 PM »
Oh me, ME MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

With this coming (something I voted for)

I want these:

The problem is, there is no way these will sell.  People hate this stuff, I love it and you and I John might be the only ones who will ever buy it :(

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 7, 2003, 02:22 PM »
Sign me up too!  That makes at least 3 of us...  But it's one of those things where I wouldn't want a Concept figure taking the place of a cool OT first time background figure though.  Kind of like most EU figures - I like 'em for the most part, will collect them regardless, but always prefer to have some cool, unique OT figures first!

But I tell ya', that Concept Stormie figure is turning out way better than I ever expected.  We're also way overdue for an update on it from Hasbro.  I'm expecting to see a close to finished version at one of Hasbro's showings on the Summer Convention Tour...   8)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: May 7, 2003, 03:29 PM »
I'd take a Chewie in a heartbeat, but honestly a whole line of it just doesn't appeal to me.

The lack of appeal is that it doesn't translate to stories I had an interest in.  The Chewie I could BS as any generic alien or whatnot.  I like the McQuarrie Stormie too, as I can surely use it in some capacity in my Imperial ranks.

The others just don't overly appeal to me much though, sad to say.  Eh, maybe Vader...  I mean, it is his story.

The EU I'd much rather have is the EU I like...  Video games, Zahn's trilogy, some of the Rogue Squad stuff, and maybe a few NJO era Jedi (Not those crappy Vong though, please...  Leave species 7833290210 to Star Trek).  

Seriously though, that Chewie would rock talking to the Nazi Gestapo agent I have in my Cantina, and a dinged up Blue Snaggletooth I have there too...  And Curious George's figure in there...  And that one-eyed thing from Monster's Inc...  And the 2 XD WW2 pilots in there...  And the George Lucas figure I have tending bar with Wuher...

OK, the point is I could put that Chewie in there and he'd look as normal as anyone. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2003, 03:42 PM »
My point is that, oddly enough, main characters are necessary evils in the line. Even if Hasbro started making "definitive" sculpts of main characters that can be rereleased periodically, collectors and retailers alike would get tired of seeing the same product in a different package year after year. Carded collectors especially would lament that Hasbro was deliberately taking advantage of them by producing nothing but variant packaging.

Rather than reissue older figures or resculpt yet another Vader or Han with left arm bent just so, why not offer concept figures instead? Same character, different design. For instance, the ARC trooper looks great, but how much cooler would it have been if it had used a concept design from The Empire Strikes Back? That would satisfy the same need for something new and different while making Matt, Scott, and John the happiest boys in the whole wide world!

IS THIS A GREAT IDEA OR WHAT?!
Post sober.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: May 7, 2003, 05:54 PM »
I might pick up a few random figs as background "smugglers" or something in my cantina set-ups... but I really wouldn't pick them up because they are "concept figures"... know what I mean?

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 7, 2003, 07:55 PM »
I like this idea, but mostly on the nonhuman characters, since they're generally more unique and interesting looking.  But I also agree that I'd rather have new OT figures before any more of these are made.  But at some point, this would be a fun subsection for Hasbro to release, perhaps along with some more EU figures.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #7 on: May 7, 2003, 08:47 PM »
I absolutely love this picture!!!

Is the guy standing up here suppose to resemble George Lucas???

One of the best concept art I've seen done for Star Wars!

I don't know about making these into concept toys, but I would love to purchase these as art to hang on a wall.  Where's a good place to get these... eBay?  I love concept art!
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: May 7, 2003, 11:01 PM »
Those are all Ralph McQuarrie sketches and production paintings.  Check out:

www.ralphmcquarrie.com

The second one I believe is Han Solo, it might be Luke's dad though and the girly/boy is Luke

That last one is the really Proto-type Fett which would make an awesome Figure

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 8, 2003, 10:54 AM »
I could deal with concept figures.  BUT, I think they should be limited.  How so?  Make them available through the fan club only, perhaps?  And only make one or two per year.  There's only so much to draw from for the concepts.

Some of the good concepts?

Darth Vader from that lightsaber dueling image
Boba Fett in all white
Snowtrooper

What I'm kind of shocked about is the concept figures that haven't been mentioned that we've already gotten.

-Darth Maul-Sith Apprentice
-Qui-Gon Jinn-Jedi Training Gear
-Obi-Wan Kenobi-Jedi Training Gear

These are all very similar to the concept artwork for EPISODE I.  And on top of these, we've got the McQuarrie Concept Stormtrooper on the way, and quite possibly Asajj Ventress.  She was the original concept for a Sith Lord in EPISODE II.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: May 9, 2003, 10:55 AM »
Good point Nicklab, hasbro isn't against the idea, people bought those rather craptacular Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon (I liked the Darth) there is now reason two or three figs per year couldn't be Concept Art figs.

Another one of my favorite McQuarrie's

Jango Fettish

« Reply #11 on: May 9, 2003, 11:00 AM »
I'll take a White Out Boba, sans his pretty dress.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004, 01:50 AM »

Anyone interested in a 3-3/4" version of Droids/Holiday Special Boba Fett?

I'd personally prefer McQuarrie Concept

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004, 03:09 AM »
McQuarrie's is cooler, I'd take it over the Holiday Special.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2004, 03:29 AM »
Anything would beat the the Holiday Special!     ;)