Author Topic: How many of us are musicians?  (Read 12714 times)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
How many of us are musicians?
« on: May 7, 2003, 08:08 PM »
Note from JediMAC:  I merged Brian's (TopJedi's) similar thread onto the end here, so fast forward to page 2 for the newer replies to his post!   8)

----------------------------------

My parents made me take piano lessons as a kid (which I diligently kept secret from all my friends).  Lasted a good 7-8 years or so.  Hated it back then, but now that I'm closing in on my 30's, I guess I better appreciate the opportunity I had to learn how to play some music when I was young.  My old piano is still at my parents place, but it's still fun to twinkle the ivories whenever I head out there for a family function.

Though I can still play decently enough, and can still hammer out a nice tune or two when the situation presents itself, I've gotten a little rusty over the years.  I've given some consideration to buying a cheap piano or keyboard and jumping back into the music a little, as a form of relaxation in my old age now (especially considering it's no longer considered such a "nerdy" thing at my age).

So who else can play some music?  What's your instrument?  I know we must have at least a few guitar players here!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 05:51 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
Re: So, who plays an instrument here?
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2003, 08:25 PM »
As a kid I was trained in piano. I played classical for some time.
I really messed up my left hand a few years ago. Since then I have not played. With all the therapy I went through my hand was out for almost a year.

Sometimes I think I will go back piano, I will just have practice, practice, practice.

I would really like to learn to play the Drums.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: May 7, 2003, 09:05 PM »
I used to play the trumpet from 2nd grade until my Senior year in high school.  After 4th grade I was consistently 1st chair in Junior High and High School.  In the state competition my Senior year in high school I was rated the #1 trumpet player in Illinois.  I got all these scholarships to go to so many different colleges, but I turned them all down.  After playing trumpet for so long I became burned out, and haven't played the trumpet ever since 1991.

One of these perhaps I'll pick it back up again, because I still have that same trumpet of mine.
dustrho

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 7, 2003, 09:42 PM »
Does air guitar count?  ;D

Seriously though, I don't play anything now though I had to take piano lessons back when I was in grade school. I think I took them for at least a couple years but I have forgotten all that.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2003, 11:57 PM »
Air Guitar does not count sorry

My story is eerily similar to Chris's.

I was a tromboning fool from 4th Grade through College.  I was an All-State Band Member for a year and I was really good if I say so myself.  I toyed ever so briefly with focusing on music some how but never really did.

One joy of college though was playing in some cool Jazz Bands and Combos, having some feature pieces in which I was the soloist.  It was great and I will always treasure my playing days.

I miss it, I got the old man out last month after we moved and played a little for my son, he laughed.  I would love to join a Jazz combo or community band if I had more time, such is life with a 1 year old :(

My wife...was an all-state Vocalist three years!  She is an amazing singer and one of her steady gigs is wedding soloist.  She also can play the guitar, piano and drums.  She is an awesome talent... :-*

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: May 8, 2003, 12:18 AM »
Piano player here as well!  About a decade's worth of lessons as a youngster, but like Snively, I didn't advertise it too much to my friends...

I have a keyboard at home right now and still dabble on it from time to time when I'm bored or feeling musically inclined.  My issue when I took lessons was that I only wanted to play the cool songs that I knew from the radio - not all the classical stuff.  I hated having to learn all the beats and measures, and listening to the little ticking clock thingee and trying to keep up.  I obviously already knew how my favorite radio tunes went, so I didn't need to use that little thing-a-ma-bobber.

Unfortunately, my parents and piano teacher didn't necessarily agree with my theory that only popular stuff was good, so they forced me to compromise a bit, and play half classical and half fun stuff.  Still, I tended to stick with the classical stuff I kinda knew like Beethovens 5th, Fur Elise, etc...

I get to inherit my old piano back from the folks when we get out new house soon (yeah, like that's ever going to happen  >:().  I wouldn't mind picking up some lessons in the near future, but I have no idea what they cost nowadays.  Can't be having piano lessons eating into my Star Wars collecting budget of course!   ;)

Sounds like we should get a JediDefender band going!  Maybe do a little number together at C3...   8)  Or maybe Scott's wife could just be the whole band all by herself!   :P

I'm also an excellent singer too - at least in the shower, the car, and the house when Patty ain't around!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2003, 12:18 AM »
I started out on alto sax.  Years later, after a hiatus from that instrument, I took up bass guitar.  Now I play several variations of that instrument, as well as the upright bass.

I've been playing in all-original bands since 1995, and my current project might actually be headed somewhere.  We gig around the NYC area, and might be doing dome regional touring in the not too distant future.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2003, 12:20 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 9, 2003, 10:16 AM »
I can play the spoons :)
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: May 9, 2003, 10:33 AM »
Spoonman, Come Together With Your Hands

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #9 on: May 9, 2003, 10:48 AM »
I play guitar, but not very good... in fact, I'm terrible at it.

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2003, 01:56 PM »
I'm classically trained vocally, which is very much an instrument. There was a time when I was heading down that career path when I was younger, and was told by some pretty influential people that I had a lot of promise. Well, my life took another direction (a few different directions, actually), and sometimes I still look back and wonder what might have been. Hmph.
Carrie, collector of Tusken-y things.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2003, 02:10 PM »
I'm classically trained vocally, which is very much an instrument. There was a time when I was heading down that career path when I was younger, and was told by some pretty influential people that I had a lot of promise. Well, my life took another direction (a few different directions, actually), and sometimes I still look back and wonder what might have been. Hmph.

Sorry it didn't turn out for you Carrie, since you could've hired me to audit your recording royalties!   :D  Always a bummer when your dreams are dashed and you head off in another direction though...  Who knows though, maybe if you wind up in RI, and venture down to NY a bit, you'll somehow get "discovered" singing a tune in Central Park or something!  Never give up the hope!   ;)

My wife has become a college history instructor, but often regrets not pursuing an acting career (she was originally a drama major), or a sportscasting gig as well (big sports fan she is).  I always tell her, you never know what the future may hold for you...   :)

So just keep your voice finely tuned while you're in the shower (like me  ;D), so you'll be prepared when your big break finally arrives out of nowhere!   8)

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2003, 04:50 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging words, Matt- but my voice is not what it once was, unfortunately.  The Lyric Opera wouldn't want me now! I've been off of training for some time now.  I've not a prayer to be "discovered", but that's okay- because in actuality, personality-wise, I'm not cut out for the limelight. I would have a very difficult time with fame.
Carrie, collector of Tusken-y things.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2003, 09:21 PM »
Well, there are other outlets for satisfying the musical bug.  You should try looking into local choral groups.  They're out there, it's just a matter of finding them.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2003, 10:45 PM »
I have a tin ear, I just haven't learned how to play it yet ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.