Author Topic: Ethics of selling Customs on ebay?  (Read 10539 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Ethics of selling Customs on ebay?
« Reply #30 on: February 2, 2006, 01:44 PM »
Thanks for all the Great feed back guys. But I think some of you have missed my point. I don't belive I could ever possibly fund my hobby by selling Custom on ebay. I am an Army Builder and Spend Thousands of dollars every year on My Legions of Various troopers. I have been contacted by several members of our Custom Community about Commissioned Customs. But, the customs they are interested in are not simple repaints, they are time Consuming very detailed pieces of work. I would love to make everyone happy including myself. But commission Work is done on someonelse's dime and therefore the pressure of getting the Job done to their satisfaction takes the fun out of the Hobby I love. I thought ebay would be a better option because I could offer these customs up for sale to people whom  asked for them without dealing with the preasures of putting a Dollar figure on your Art, or being told to revise it because your client is not happy with the results. And if the Sale of one Customs allows for me to Pay for the Material Cost of two or three Other customs a lot of the Guilt of spending Money on plastic toys is lifted off of my shoulders.

I can totally understand what you're saying.  I would find it very difficult to try and create something based on someone else's expectations and desires.  Like you said, I think it would be a lot more rewarding to create what feels right to you and see if others are interested in that creation once it's completed.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #31 on: February 2, 2006, 01:50 PM »
... I felt like slapping some sense into him. 
I'm all for passivity, respect, and an ernest attempt to put myself into other people's shoes ... but you totally shoulda!  :D

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 2, 2006, 04:05 PM »
I get that same reaction from people all the time. Mostly it's people who really don't have a clue about the hobby, and have just heard from someone that toys are "worth something."

The people that ask "Are those worth anything?" get a variation of the  response I gave a kid years ago when I ran a comic book store. He held up an issue of "Youngblood" and asked "How much is this worth?" To which I responded, "It's worth cover price to me, but if you read it and enjoy it, then it's priceless." He went away very confused.

There's not a purchase that goes by where I don't get either "Are you a collector?" or "You must like Star Wars!" I just smile at this point and humor them. Sometimes I tell them I'm a customizer and explain what that is, but if I don't have time I just make something up to satisfy them.

"I work for 'Troopers for Tots' and these are all going to a children's hospital in Lima, Peru."

Or something equally ridiculous off the top of my head.

Oh, and for the record, I wasn't trying to slam either JesseVader or Jokabofe in my responses, and I didn't take offense to anything they said. Still friends, guys?  :P

-DD
« Last Edit: February 2, 2006, 06:41 PM by Darth Delicious »
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #33 on: February 2, 2006, 04:38 PM »
Sometimes I tell them I'm a customizer and explain what that is,

I tried doing that once.  Once.  ;)

That's a pretty funny story CHEWIE, that doesn't really happen to me too much though; I guess I look like somebody that would still be buying toys into my 20's...  :-\
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.