Author Topic: Outbound Flight- Timothy Zahn  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
Outbound Flight- Timothy Zahn
« on: March 1, 2006, 11:47 PM »
Well, I thought I would start a new thread here. My wife picked me up this book last week, and I had a day off so I spent it with the Thrawn and company.

I was a big fan of the Heir to the Empire series. And I read a few other books by Zahn, so I was looking forward to this read as well.

I think the author does a great job of character building, and I think that was the strength of the Heir series. Mara Jade, Pelleaon, Thrawn, and even Luke and the Solo's seem very vibrant and have depth. Characters are the cornerstone of good storytelling, and Zahn paints people well with words.

I did find myself not "connecting" with the new charcters in this story as much as I would have liked. I won't go into great detail, because it is a very new book. The main theme is, we get to know more about Thrawn. The background is the Outbound flight of Jedi and pioneers setting out to explore beyond the galaxy. There are some very interesting sub-plots, with Sidious working his magic. I was a little confused with some continuity issues, but I will let that dialogue begin when a few others have joined the thread.

It's a pretty quick read, so if you have some free time, grab a copy and join the thread!

Offline Dhivael

• Youngling
  • Dark Lord of the Sith
    • View Profile
Re: Outbound Flight- Timothy Zahn
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2006, 09:36 AM »
I totally disagree, I think that this work was exactly what i remember and love from zahn, unlike some of his more recent works. Its a backhistory of his characters, one that is very insightful to understanding the motives behind the HTTE series. Great dialouge, great characterizations. This book is a must read.
-Dhivael

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: March 7, 2006, 11:22 AM »
I have the book, but have not been able to read it as of yet.  Probably next week.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2006, 06:12 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 03:51 PM »
this was a great book, it seems the books are starting to just get better and better as they go. thrawn was just right, but c'baoth was just a bit over the top and a little bit too much like his clone. if anything else, i wouldn't mind a true back story on C'Baoth, like some kinda explaination of where he gets his ideas from. and why exactly all the jedi, even mace windu let him get his way. like i really would have liked to have seen his interactions with the jedi council. if his Palpatine meeting(lecture) was any kind of sign, it must have been insane.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 11:15 PM »
Havent read this yet. I made a promise to myself not to read any other SW novels until I finished NJO. Im only about 3 books away right now.

I will probably go back and re read the trawn trilogy after reading outbound flight, and most probably finish it off with the Hand of Thrawn. Its been quite a while since Ive read these, It would be noce to brush up.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 02:36 AM »
I'm eager to read this book, I wasn't very happy with the Hand of Thrawn story though.  It just never seemed to go anywhere.
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #6 on: December 6, 2006, 06:14 PM »
I FINALLY finished this book.  It was tough to get into since we already knew the outcome from previous books.

I liked the story overall, but I thought they would go more into Thrawn being exiled from the Chiss.  I guess Zahn might be saving this for a later book...I hope not though.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 08:29 AM »
yeah that was very disappointing, i mean how are they gonna sell that story? who exactly can they tie into a total chiss/unknown regions book? unless we get a palpatine on vacation tale.