Author Topic: Unleashed Battle Packs  (Read 39254 times)

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
Re: Unleashed Battle Packs
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 04:59 PM »
I'll probably pick up a few of these packs.... once they're 95% off at TRU green tag clearance! Seriously. As far as I can tell, the Unleashed line was doing very well and Hasbro decided to drop it anyway just to clear shelf space for these miniature middle-earth pieces of **** they're trying to pass, not only as action figures, but actually as Unleashed! :o

This. Is. Sickening. >:(

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 05:29 PM »
According to Randy Shoemaker of Hasbro Marketing, they originally planned to do BOTH 2" and 7" Unleashed.

http://www.galactichunter.com/sdcomiccon05/hasbro3.asp

GH: There appears to be a trend in Hasbro scaling back to smaller scales like Titanium and the 2" Unleashed Battle Packs and letting go of their larger scales with the 7" Unleashed being put on hiatus and the 12" line being passed off to Sideshow. What are your plans for larger scale figures in the future and what more can you share with us about the 2" Battlepacks?

Randy: The thing is with some of these bigger scale figures, they're unfortunately a little bit more expensive and the amount of characters you can do that have a broad enough appeal is somewhat limiting. In the past couple of years, the 12" figures have really started to slow down and a company like Sideshow can do a real great job bringing those to light and it's more of what they do, so it's easier for them to accomplish. For us, working with Wal-mart and Target, we have to make sure to produce toys that move fairly quickly with both collectors and kids.

We also started to see the Unleashed slow down a little bit. The decision to rest Unleashed, at least for next year, is not based on the fact that we're doing the 2" Unleashed. If the regular Unleashed were doing as well as we had hoped for, as it was doing at the beginning part of this year, then we were planning on doing a nice Unleashed section in the retail stores with both the 2" and 7" Unleashed merchandised together. Because the 7" Unleashed has slowed down, we decided to hold off on it for next year and focus our attention on the 2" Unleashed, which I think is going to be really cool.
(underlines added)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 07:38 PM »
Saw these in person and they just look like Attackix without the bases. Really LAME Hasbro.
I remember my dream now.

Offline jr87mustang

• Jedi Initiate
  • Have you seen this Kubrick???
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 10:11 PM »
I'm going with the guy that said "blasphemy". 

I can't understand why they think there is a limited number of characters that will sell.  They have a huge amount of them to do yet!  I want a freakin Jawa or Gammorean Guard Unleashed!!!!

HASBRO, I WILL NOT BUY THESE 2" GIVE US THE 7" BACK PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have collected Star Wars Toys since I was 4 in 1984.  I have not collected ANY new star wars toys until the Unleashed came out, and the the Animated Clone Wars Cartoons (yoda is so cute what can I say!!).  None have interested me. Guess when I finish my Clones Wars collection I am done.  Again back to the vintage stuff!!
Anyone got a ben for sale??

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 5, 2005, 02:28 PM »
I was thinking about these again today, after reading some of the WOTC minis discussion in that thread.  I guess these are sort of along those lines, as far as being able to set up large battles and things like that.  Although I'm still not overly interested, I think a lot of my anger/frustration towards this line is the fact that it is kind of replacing the 7" line.  Of course, they say that's not the case, but it just kind of seems like it regardless.  I did read some rumored waves (for next year?) at RS, and they had listed some Hoth packs (one with the heroes, a couple of troop packs, etc.).  I guess if I think of it in the OT-sense, it might be kind of neat to set up a little "Battle of Hoth" or something along those lines.  I wonder if Hasbro will get into beasts and vehicles to supplement their line as WOTC seems to be doing now.  Anyone else interested in these at all, or letting them rot?  I'm still not sold on them, but if the OT ones turned out decent and I had the spare collecting budget, I might consider it.  Still not really likely though, at least not on a grand scale.

Offline alexandertrooper

• Youngling
  • 501st for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 5, 2005, 08:54 PM »
well I'm going to buy them because I think there kinda cool but it will also help me build smaller scence and stuff.  But I do hope the larger unleashed will come back as well.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 7, 2005, 06:22 AM »
Saw these in person and they just look like Attackix without the bases. Really LAME Hasbro.

LOL Where'd you see them? Are they at retail yet?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 7, 2005, 05:46 PM »
I think the biggest mistake Hasbro made was calling these Unleashed Battle Packs.  So many people are bitter that the 7" Unleashed line is ending/pausing/whatever and will not give this new line a chance simply out of spite towards Hasbro (besides the fact that they are now too many miniature-style lines).

They should have simply called them Battle Packs and been done with it.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2005, 05:47 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 7, 2005, 06:28 PM »
Bah!  >:(

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 7, 2005, 07:37 PM »
I think the biggest mistake Hasbro made was calling these Unleashed Battle Packs.  So many people are bitter that the 7" Unleashed line is ending/pausing/whatever and will not give this new line a chance simply out of spite towards Hasbro (besides the fact that they are now too many miniature-style lines).

They should have simply called them Battle Packs and been done with it.

Good call. People are hatin' on these things, thinking in terms of the "Unleashed" line being ruined, when the two really have nothing to do with each other. One is statuettes, the other figurines.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2005, 12:22 PM »

LOL Where'd you see them? Are they at retail yet?

I saw pictures of 'em at the CC

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2005, 10:38 PM »
I hate to say it, 'cause I know I'll get reamed for it, but I'll probably pick up the OT sets in this line.  I'm an absolute sucker for anything "miniature", and if these come with diorama pieces/playsets like the LOTR sets do, then I'm all over them.

Please don't hate me...  :-[

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2005, 10:41 PM »
It was only a matter of time before someone decided they like these.  I'm sure in time more people will grow to like them once they can look past the fact that these are replacing the 7" Unleashed.

I'm not emotionally ready for a commitment like that yet.   ;)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2005, 10:47 PM »
I'm sure in time more people will grow to like them once they can look past the fact that these are replacing the 7" Unleashed.

Maybe that's why I don't mind 'em so much.  I'm not thinking that this line is replacing the Unleashed line, despite the bull**** that Hasbro is spewing.  They're two ENTIRELY different lines (just with the same name).

The 7" Unleashed line got axed.  Simple as that.  Around the same time, Hasbro decided they wanted to mimic the LOTR Armies of Middle Earth line, and this new "Unleashed" line was born.  But why they're applying the Unleashed name to it again is completely beyond me.  They should've just named it something new altogether.  As it is, Hasbro's probably already killed this line off, just because they've made collectors despise it so much for replacing their beloved 7" line.  Bad move.

Anyway, anything Star Wars with the ability to create various environments/scenes in scale, with characters, ships, environments, etc. is cool as far as I'm concerned.  So I'll be nabbing the OT sets for sure.  Then, years on down the road when you all have missed out on them, I won't fret when you're jealously drooling all over mine.  :P
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:49 PM by JediMAC »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2005, 10:51 PM »