Author Topic: Unleashed Battle Packs  (Read 39263 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: Unleashed Battle Packs
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2006, 03:03 AM »
Matt, I'm still interested in the line. But there hasn't been much to say in here lately, since there hasn't been anything new released or posted in the last couple months. (In all that RS coverage, I could swear I saw a mention of boxed photos for the new ROTS sets, but I could never find the page it supposedly linked to so apparently I was mistaken.)

As for myself, I have all of the currently released PT sets except for the Utapauan soldiers (which I'm passing on) and the Utapau Commanders and Kashyyyk clone troopers (which I just haven't gotten around to picking up yet).

That OT list sounds nifty for those that are into that stuff. But I can pass on all of it with the exceptions of Tusken Raiders (I'm a sucker for those guys) and potentially the sandtrooper set if it includes all four ranks.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 03:04 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Squid89

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2006, 07:03 AM »
I'm late to the conversation, but I do like the line.  Anxiously looking forward to finding the Hoth sets.  This line pretty much replaced my 12" collecting habits.  I like the fact they take up little space and have some articulation.  The poses and paint jobs are good enough for the price.  I think the multiple poses of the generics display nicely versus the same figure with articulation like in the 3.75" line.  They are a nice in-between size for the minis and action figures.  Never got into the 7" unleashed, save a few, but like the lower costed little ones.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2006, 09:24 PM »
Hey, have the Hoth sets actually hot stores yet?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2006, 09:27 PM »
Yes, I saw them Wednesday at my local (Minnesota) TRU store. Pretty cool, but I passed none the less.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2006, 04:03 PM »
Saw the Hoth battlepakcs today at Target.  The $10 ones.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2006, 05:54 PM »
seen them at WM(the 10$ ones) seen the 20$ deluxe set at TRU, the 25$ :o ::) deluxe set at Kmart...with Kmart prices no wonder they suck for toys ::)

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2006, 07:58 AM »
I ran into them at Target as well. As much as I like all things Hoth, these just don't pack enough zing to get me to fork over that kind of cash. Not when you can go on line and get a micromachine hoth set with generators, tauntauns, and walkers for $5-8.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2006, 04:44 AM »
I finally picked the two larger Hoth sets up today, since I saw them at a Target for the first time, where they're a few bucks cheaper than TRU.  Haven't seen the $10 figure sets yet though, so it's nice to hear that they're hitting now too.

Anyone notice the completely screwed up Rebel insignias on Luke's helmet in the Snowspeeder set?  They're sideways.  Even the picture on the box has them correct, so I'm wondering if they'll be correcting the problem any time soon, or just leave it jacked up, as is...  Annoying.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 7, 2006, 09:03 PM »
Hypocrite in aisle 7, repeat, Hypocrite in aisle 7...

Yes, I caved and bought a veritable shitpile of these things today.  I walked into Wal-Mart and saw a case of the Hoth wave on the pegs (both Snowtrooper sets, the Wampa set, and the one with Vader and the Probot) and thought, "Okay, I'll just get the Hoth stuff since I always liked the Hoth scenes and ESB is my favorite film."

By the end of the day, I had all the four pack sets other than the Utapau Clone Trooper set, the Grievous/Obi-Wan/Cody/IG100 set, the Han/Chewie/Tauntaun set, and the HRS set. 

I still don't like the "Unleashed" tag being attached to these, and the Clone paintjobs are simply awful in a lot of cases, but I really like these as display pieces.  I wanted to hate them with a passion, but they're actually neat for what they are.  Kind of a "Micro Collection" vibe going on with them too.

Now I'm going to have to track down the two Utapau sets, as I don't think those are shipping anymore.  Oh well, HTS, here I come...:)

Offline MikeJones

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 8, 2006, 03:49 AM »
Doc, I've seen all those older sets newly put out at Target and Walmart the past few days , so you still might find them. I was pretty close to going the HTS route, too, but found the last two ROTS sets I needed (Utapau and Felucia clones) since Saturday.

Up until about a month ago, I was also uninterested in these, and told myself that I didn't need to start another line. Then I bought the Yoda/Chewie/Aayla pack, and have since grabbed everything but the Han/Tauntaun/Chewie, which I haven't found yet. I love these! There's so much potential for this line...The two deluxe sets, though too pricey by about 5 bucks, are great--I'll probably buy another Hoth turret set or two, especially since they can all connect.  Scale-wise, the 3.75" scale AT-AT looks pretty impressive towering over the Hoth set-up.

I might be getting ahead of myself, but I can't wait for the ANH sets, let alone the Order 66 sets coming this fall. Not only do I get a vintage Micro Collection vibe from these, but they also remind me of Galoob Action Fleet battlepacks. 

The only real negative thing I can say about these is that they're a bitch to get out of the packaging!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 9, 2006, 06:38 PM »
I ended up going the HTS route about five minutes before I saw your post, Mike.  Oh well, my order has either shipped partial or shipped complete for the two Utapau sets I needed (HTS's order tracking is about as "with it" as their case assortments apparently), so hopefully I'll have the old(er) stuff taken care of soon.  I did find a single Utapau Battle Droid set hidden in the overstock cabinet thing at TRU today, so I went ahead and picked that up (it's my second set of those).  For some reason, army building doesn't seem as burdensome to me when things are this small.

Speaking of, does anyone have a definitive list of who is exactly in the Hoth, Geonosis, and Kashyyyk ten-packs coming later this fall?  I know the general makeup, but I didn't know which figure sculpts were showing up in them, and if any of the sculpts are exclusive to the sets other than the Geonosis Clones.  Are the figures all slight repaints, or are some of them straight reissues from the four packs?

And having just bought them yesterday, the Snowspeeder and Turret sets are, to steal Hasbro's word, awesome.  I feel like a tool for saying it, but this line really needs to continue, just to keep me happy.  ;D

Offline alexandertrooper

• Youngling
  • 501st for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2006, 12:23 PM »
at first I wasn't sure about these but man did the hoth set convince me of how cool they are.  I've bought one of each set but now I'm going to go get a couple more snowspeeder sets, echo base sets and a bunch of snow and rebel troopers and build a big hoth battle.  I just wish they would come up with scale at-st's ans at-ats so it would be prefect. Oh and a falcon and some x-wings.  And troop transports.  lol I"m asking alot.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2006, 04:00 AM »
Hypocrite in aisle 7, repeat, Hypocrite in aisle 7...

Ha!  I knew some of you guys would start seeing the light with these cool little sets...  Welcome to the club, finally, Michael!  8)  I kinda figured that once those Hoth sets started hitting, that the OT purist old-timers would start crawling out of the woodwork and (secretly) delving into this line.  At least you were man enough to admit it to us in here though.  ;)

Still need to track down some of the Hoth sets myself, but these things are nice in that they're always easily attainable at retail, so I'm not at all worried about eventually finding everything I need.  And yeah, I think they're somewhat reminiscent of Kenner's old Micro line, which is actually exactly what Hasbro said they were shooting for a couple years ago down at Comic Con (when they actually had some vintage Micro sets out on display, and were asking everyone in attendance for their feedback on them.  Nothing will ever be better than the Micro Collection though.  That's still probably my alltime favorite Star Wars line.

As for the upcoming figures, and possible differences, I'm not sure.  I recall looking at some of those 10-packs at SDCC last month, and comparing them to the 4-packs, and couldn't find the differences in the figures, despite Hasbro saying that there would be 2 new figures in each of them.  Maybe they were just mock-up samples though.  But I'd say hang onto your receipts, and maybe when the 10-pack Cinema Scene versions hit, you'll have enough duplicates to be able to return a few of your prior 4 packs (if you were patient enough not to open them yet).  Otherwise, I'm just not sure...  Though I suppose building up your Hoth army a little more with duplicates wouldn't be the worst thing in the world now, would it?  I'll see if I can dig up some of the Comic Con photos with those things in them to figure out if there were any differences, 'cause I sure don't recall seeing any.

You saw the earlier list of what's still on tap though, right Michael?  A bunch of ANH sets?  On th prior page or two in here if you missed the news...

One thing that's bothering the hell outta me with the Snowspeeder set though, is the Rebel insignias on Lukes helmet.  They're SIDEWAYS, and not up and down as they should be, and as they're pictured all over the box.  Serious screw up on someone's part at Hasbro.  Wonder if they're going to fix that eventually...?

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2006, 08:54 AM »
At least you were man enough to admit it to us in here though.  ;)

I have many flaws, but thankfully one of them is that I'll admit when I'm wrong.  I'm still not that thrilled with the name of the line being co-opted from the 7" Unleashed assortments, but all things being equal, I really do like this line now.  I just hope that it keeps going, as there is a ton of potential for stuff both PT and OT-based.

You saw the earlier list of what's still on tap though, right Michael?  A bunch of ANH sets?  On th prior page or two in here if you missed the news...

Yeah, and it looks very interesting, although I'm always worried when stuff is focused on one film in such large numbers (well, except for the years when the prequels were released), and especially since ANH (great though it may be) seems to get more attention than anything else.  Not ANH hatin', but I hope they at least put some other OT and PT sets out next year in addition to the ANH stuff.

And speaking of, I was trying to figure out what route they could go with some of the more prominent battles from the OT and PT the other day and here's some of what I came up with:

TESB:
-Cloud City 1:  4 Stormtroopers
-Cloud City 2:  Lando, Leia, Chewie (with Threepio), and Lobot
-Cloud City 3:  Boba Fett, Han in Carbonite, and 2 Bespin Guards
-Cloud City 4:  Luke, Vader, R2-D2, and Stormtrooper

ROTJ:
-Endor 1:  Luke, Palpatine, Vader, and ERG
-Endor 2:  4 Biker Scouts
-Endor 3:  6 Ewoks (since they're so small)
-Endor 4:  4 Endor Rebel Commandos
-Endor Deluxe Set 1:  Biker Scout Chase with 3 Bikes and Luke, Leia, and Scout and Forest Base
-Endor Deluxe Set 2:  Imperial Assault with Scout Walker, AT-ST Driver, and Forest Base

TPM:
-Naboo 1:  Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Maul, and Queen Amidala
-Naboo 2:  Captain Panaka, 2 Naboo Royal Guards, and Naboo Security
-Naboo 3:  Captain Tarpals with Kaadu and 2 Gungan Warriors
-Naboo 4:  OOM-9, Security Battle Droid, and 2 Battle Droids
-Naboo Deluxe Set 1:  Naboo Starfighter with Anakin and Droideka
-Naboo Deluxe Set 2:  2 STAPs with Battle Droids, Jar Jar, and 2 Battle Droids

AOTC:
-Geonosis 1:  Anakin Skywalker, Padme Amidala, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Yoda
-Geonosis 2:  4 White Clone Troopers
-Geonosis 3:  Count Dooku, Jango Fett, and 2 Super Battle Droids
-Geonosis 4:  Shaak Ti, Agen Kolar, Luminara Unduli, and Coleman Trebor
-Geonosis Deluxe Set:  Homing Spider Droid with Dwarf Spider Droid, Clone Trooper on Speeder Bike, and Battle Droid

There's a lot more than all of this that they could wind up doing.  There's also the possibility of playsets with this scale (similar to the old Micro Collection from the vintage days), and all of these possibilities make me hope the line continues for a long time to come.  Now, if only the stores around here would clear out of the backlog of Wookiee Warriors, I'd be set. :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2006, 10:22 PM »
I saw the Hoth packs locally and have to admit it, they were tempting.  But considering I'm reducing my 3 3/4 collection as it is, there's no way, no matter how tempting that I'll be buying these (probably helped not all four sets were there :-X)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.