Author Topic: Working with Greenstuff - Questions/Comments  (Read 4717 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Working with Greenstuff - Questions/Comments
« on: March 6, 2006, 02:48 PM »
So, I picked up some greenstuff at Gamesworkshop this weekend.  I thought I'd give it a try instead of having to boil my sculpy all the time.  Any advice when working with this?    Do you guys use any other brand two-part epoxy modeling putty?  I've heard something of plumber's putty I think but I'm not sure if thats the same thing.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 04:12 PM by Jeff »

Offline Errex

• Youngling
  • Gra'tua Cuun!
    • View Profile
Re: Greenstuff
« Reply #1 on: March 6, 2006, 03:02 PM »
Remember to keep your modelling tools moist when using the green stuff, so it doesn't stick to them.

Cut only a small section at a time, and remember that it is easier to  work in layers than to  try and churn out a complete piece in one go.

Be wary of fingerprints, they can be a pain to remove once it has hardened. I normally use a wet soft paintbrush to smooth the surface.

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2006, 04:23 PM »
yes,keep your fingers and tools wet...also there are some other brands like miliput...I hate plumbers epox becasue it drys in 5 minutes you literlay have 1 minute to work with it.
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2006, 04:39 PM »
I love GW Greenstuff!  I picked up another pack this past weekend for an upcoming project.  I bought a cheap set of hobby knives at the dollar store to specifically work with this stuff (since it is very sticky).  I also recommend either wearing latex gloves or "dabbing" a latex glove over the finished sculpted piece to remove any fingerprints. 

I've tried plumber's epoxy putty but it was very hard to manage (at least for me).  It was extremely hard and durable when it cured, but I couldn't really shape it very well.  I would recommend sticking with the GW Greenstuff.

I also heard of "milliput" and "kneadatite" but have not tried either.  I think they might be the same material as Greenstuff but again, I haven't tried them so I'm not sure.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Errex

• Youngling
  • Gra'tua Cuun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 6, 2006, 05:42 PM »
Kneaditite is one of the names for the two-component epoxy putties out there. Usually the putty you find at regular hardware stores is older and drier than the one you find at hobby shops, but their formulation is pretty much the same.

Depending on formulation, the curing time varies from 5 minutes to a couple hours, with the maximum hardness reached after 24 hrs.

I normally use the quick setting epoxy to  shape the basic outline of whatever I'm working, and then use the longer curing one to  add in details. I've known modellers that work the exact opposite way, using the quick setting epoxy for detailing, since this way they say there is less risk of destroying by accident what they had already done.

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #5 on: March 7, 2006, 04:26 AM »
When I work with greenstuff the stuff I've just mixed and not using straight away I keep it in a small dish of water until I'm ready for it.

Also this is grose but it works great if you find it starts to stick use a bit of spit/saliva on the tool your working with the acid in the spit helps the tool to slide over the greenstuff 100% better.

Ron

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #6 on: March 7, 2006, 07:10 PM »
I hate plumbers epox becasue it drys in 5 minutes you literlay have 1 minute to work with it.

I like that about it, its quick and good for small added details.
It took some getting used to, i was wasting alot of it, before i learned to mix little bits at a time.

I have ruined a bunch of sculting tools cause i didnt clean them of and now they are caked with the stuff.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 9, 2006, 11:09 AM »
Thanks for all the tips.  Next time I need to sculpt something I may try this stuff out. 

Whats the cure time on this?  When should I be able to sand, prime (if necessary) and paint?

Offline Errex

• Youngling
  • Gra'tua Cuun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 9, 2006, 03:22 PM »
It varies depending on the type you bought. Some are good to sand and paint in under an hour, some reach workable hardness after 12 hrs.

Normally the blue/yellow stuff cures completely in about 10-12 hrs, while the blue/white cures in a couple hours. There's also  the red/green variety, which cures faster, in under an hour, but I find it a lot more coarse.

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 9, 2006, 03:33 PM »
there's different kinds of "greenstuff" or are you reffering to different brands?
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 9, 2006, 04:01 PM »
there's different kinds of "greenstuff" or are you reffering to different brands?

I bought the blule/yellow Gamesworkshop brand.

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 9, 2006, 05:17 PM »
Me too, it works great for keeping neck posts on swaps.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Errex

• Youngling
  • Gra'tua Cuun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 9, 2006, 05:49 PM »

The yellow/blue GW ribbons are pretty much generic plumber's putty, with a longish cure time. Other manufacturers use different catalysts to speed up the curing time, enhance strenght, etc. and most often use their own choice of colors to easily identify each type.