Author Topic: 12" figures by Custom Cat Creations 1/6 scale- wave 1  (Read 4811 times)

Offline Custom Cat

• Youngling
    • View Profile
12" figures by Custom Cat Creations 1/6 scale- wave 1
« on: March 6, 2006, 06:23 PM »
Here's my first run of custom 12" Star Wars upgrades.
Darth Vader; A New Hope

This pose was inspired by the back cover of the Original Movie Storybook from 1978. This was the iconic image burned into my memory from my childhood and will always be the first thing that comes to mind at the mere mention of Darth Vader.

This was my comparrison pose to the 1/4 Scale Premium Format from Sideshow Collectibles.
 The lenses, chest box, and armor were handpainted to acheive the accurate appearance from A New Hope.

This is to show the adjusted height to maintain a true 1/6 scale amoungst the past Hasbro 12" figures and future Sideshow Collectibles. Beside Vader is my own handpainted Obi-Wan Kenobi. Also noticable from this pic, is the minor adjustment to Vader's posture to give him the drooped shoulder look he donned in ANH.

The Circle is now complete...

Here's a couple close-ups of the hand-painted detail of Obi-Wan's face.

The mold used was from the 2004 Saga figure

Here's my WIP Yoda. I've done some touch ups on the face and changed the eyes. The cloak has ben altered to tone down the amount of fraying around the sleeves and bottom. I added some whisps of white hair to accent the face.

Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight

You will bring Captain Solo and the Wookiee to me...

Some close-ups of the detail of the hand-painted face. This mold was the 1997 FAO Shwartz exclusive.

You will take me to Jabba now...

My current project is to enhance Hasbro's prior line of 12" figures to be as film accurate as possible; not a minor job by ANY means. So far, I've got over 50 of the original figures ready to go and just shy of 20 bodies to start replacing with. To start, I'm focusing on Episodes IV, V, VI.
I've also begun compliling a photo reference database to aid me in this process. Rumor has it that Sideshow Collectibles is going to produce the SW line at about 10 per year, spanning all 6 movies. That just doesn't cut it for me. Once I complete upgrading what came out for the Original Trilogy, I may do a handful from the Prequel Trilogy.

Initially, I will be replacing the bodies with 1/6 bodies from Sideshow Collectibles, 21st Century Soldiers, Dragon, BBi, GI Joe/Jane, etc. Some of the figures, like Admiral Ackbar for example, have unique hands and lower arms that don't removed from the body like a standard glove does. In cases like this, I'll be removing the lower arm at the elbow joing and will be custom tooling it to fit back into the elbow joint of whatever body I select.

Second step is tailoring the uniforms to fit their new, more realistic bodies. While making any alterations in the fit of the uniforms, I will also be correcting any color inaccuracies the clothing may have.

Third and most important step, handpainting. The big job on most, will be the face. Majority of the sculpts of the faces post 1998 are quite workable, . The big exception to this is Leia. There may be a small number I'll have to shrink, but I think all will be well. Along with faces, I'll be detailing helmets, belts, armor, gloves, boots, weapons and accessories. Anything with sculpted detail will be painted. I use acryllic paints and seal them with Testors Dullcote.

Forth and finally, finishing touches. This could be replacing bulky Hasbro gloves with Dragon WWII gloves or Sideshow Civil War gauntlets and repainting them. Adding additional accessories, like a belt overlooked during Hasbro's production. From time to time I may use a head from a Gentle Giant mini-bust or even a helmet from Tomy's 1/6 line. These of course are a little more costly, however, but they do look sharp.

I figure that if Sideshow is going to run about $50 each, I can probably make my own from existing stuff on a comparable margine. Plus, I can guarantee SS isn't going to put out everything Hasbro already has. Now I'm not saying that I won't buy SS in the future. I just think it'd be a great feat to try and create a definitive collection on my own, rather than just buy finished pieces, character by character.
Some of these may only take me 4 hours total to finish, others may take me close to 20. But I'll know what I have on my shelf means that much more to me on a personal level than what may be sitting on the next guys shelf that came fresh out of the box!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: 12" figures by Custom Cat Creations 1/6 scale- wave 1
« Reply #1 on: March 6, 2006, 11:17 PM »
Those look freakin' awesome.  Very nice upgrades!  Ben is my favorite.  The paint came out great.

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
  • i'm the monster's mother...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2006, 11:20 PM »
those are nice looking upgrades. my fave is the Vader, the purple lenses and shoulders are very nice touches. the Yoda looks much better already, the paint apps on the eyes make a huge difference.

i'm kind of doing 1/6th upgrades to a point, but i like to create variations on characters that won't really be released in the near future, and create my own characters. and btw SS has released a couple of 1/6th that Hasbro did in the past like Mace Windu & the Solo Bespin that will be coming out...so i have no reason to think SS won't be doing something that has already been done.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2006, 11:35 PM »
Great work, especially on that Vader upgrade.  How did you extend the limbs?  I was thinking about trying that but wasn't really sure how to go about doing it.

The repainted faces look really well done, especially that Yoda.  I can't wait to see what you do with Admiral Ackbar.

I upgraded some of my 12" hasbro figures - I think a lot of the figures, especially the Imperials are perfect candidates for upgrades since the uniforms were pretty well done.  Are you going to upgrade any of the Imperial Troopers?  I did body swaps/glove swaps on all of the troopers and I really like how they turned out, especially the Scout Trooper and Snowtrooper.  I would love to see how you tackle those figures, especially since you are doing so much more than just body swaps. 
Great work, I can't wait to see "wave 2"!
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Custom Cat

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 7, 2006, 12:34 AM »
Great work, especially on that Vader upgrade.  How did you extend the limbs?  I was thinking about trying that but wasn't really sure how to go about doing it.

In regards to the height adjustment for Vader, I kept the proportions accurate by adding the following-
1/4" to the arms and 1/2" to the legs. Now if I gave out the whole recipe of this procedure, I wouldn't have a one of a kind now would I  ;)
There is a quick, cheap way to do it. But is exactly that - cheap. It is somewhat temporary and not very good for maintaining articulation; leaving the adjustment to be repaired between changing the pose. There is also a permanent, articulation friendly way. But incurs some cost and attention to detail.
To accomodate the lengthened limbs, I repositioned  and affixed the chest box, cod piece and belt. This eliminated any drooping or crookedness of the chest box that came with posing the figure. This also aided in giving the torso the illusion of being longer. Keep in mind that the repostitioning of belt and cod piece was subtle enough that it wouldn't interfere with posing the figure.
Lastly, to add the noticed bulk to the figure, I made a crude body suit out of nylon. I didn't want to restrict the shoulders, elbows, waist, hips or knees so I was careful in not making it an entire neck to ankles garment; just give that extra bulk Vader had in ANH.
There are actually a lot more upgrades/enhancements I did  to the stock Medicom version than what appears at first glance. I'll elaborate more a little later.
Feel free to PM me for further details.
 The base of operations on the Darth Vader was the Medicom ROTJ Darth Vader, while some pieces came from other sources. Once I get the gloves done (just waiting for materials), I'm into the Vader for $280.00US, plus time to build, paint, sew and assemble.

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #5 on: March 7, 2006, 12:39 AM »
I am always awed by what people can do in 1:6 scale. These are no exception. Very fine work. Thanks for sharing these here.

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #6 on: March 7, 2006, 03:10 AM »
Great batch of 12" figures I must say Ben and Luke ahve to be my favourites and the paint apps are great well done. And welcome aboard and eveybody here are really friendly.

Ron