Author Topic: World Baseball Classic  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
World Baseball Classic
« on: March 9, 2006, 12:09 AM »
So I've watched Canada's 2 games so far.  First, they barely hang on to beat a bunch of amateurs from South Africa.  That's not a typo, South Africa.
Then, today they beat the USA!
The greatest moment ever for Baseball Canada, and the game was super-entertaining.   Big hits, big defensive plays, an inside-the-park homerun, huge momentum swings.
I have to admit I didn't have a lot of interest in this, in fact I came across the first game by accident while surfing.  I had kinda forgotten about it.
But it's turned out to be 2 very entertaining ball games.  Just the tonic for the March blahs.
Anybody else watching?
« Last Edit: March 9, 2006, 12:37 AM by Darth Paul »

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: World Baseball Classic
« Reply #1 on: March 9, 2006, 09:24 AM »
I have watched a few games.  Both USA games and a few others.  The loss is like what happens when the USA beats Canada in hockey.  Very surprising.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 9, 2006, 09:57 AM »
Watched but wished I didn't  :-X
Beth

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2006, 10:19 AM »
I'd probably watch a few more games if they actually played them while the majority of the ******* country wasn't at work.  ::)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Straight up rocket scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 9, 2006, 10:44 AM »
So I've watched Canada's 2 games so far.  First, they barely hang on to beat a bunch of amateurs from South Africa.  That's not a typo, South Africa.
Then, today they beat the USA!
The greatest moment ever for Baseball Canada, and the game was super-entertaining.   

The greatest moment ever for Baseball Canada?!  This first round of a silly exhibition is better than the 1992 and 1993 World Series Champion Toronto Blue Jays?

???
If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.  Thank you.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: March 9, 2006, 11:04 AM »
I think he means "Baseball Canada" and not a Canadian Baseball team, considering that the 92/93 Blue Jays were not exactly an all-Canadian team.

And I agree with Mikey - I might actually watch these games if they weren't on in the middle of the day...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 9, 2006, 12:00 PM »
Yeah I was talking about "Team Canada", the national program.
And believe me, Canada knows how it feels to be beaten at your "national passtime".  The recent Olympics just go to show Canada is no longer guaranteed to win a best-on-best tournament in hockey.
That said, I don't think the USA has much to worry about, it's only 1 game in the opening round.
And I don't know much about the tourney's schedule, but maybe more important games in later rounds will be in prime time???

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 9, 2006, 01:53 PM »
I feel kind of bad but I don't really care for this WBC that much.  It's not because USA lost either.  I could really could not care less who wins it.  Maybe it is because it's on at a time when I won't be able to watch it?  Is this thing somehow different than the Olympics?  I know it's not playing with the Olympics obviously and it includes pro players.  Is that the only difference?  It's like all of a sudden there is this international baseball tournament out of nowwhere.  Why?

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 9, 2006, 02:38 PM »
This whole tournament is another testament to Bud Selig's idiocy.  The @ssclown should have had this happen prior to spring training and all games played on weekends or prime time so people could watch.  The only reason I can watch is that I work for a cable company and we have it on at work.  Selig should not be the commissioner, but he will be because the owners want their monkeyboy in there.  Darth B, I heard they are doing this tournament because the Olympics will not have a baseball tournament any longer.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2006, 02:39 PM by John C »

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 9, 2006, 04:12 PM »
That's it, baseball is being dropped from the Olympics.
I think this tourney has potential in the future if it is handled better.  Maybe have it in November after the World Series when guys are actually in shape.  Play the games in primetime.   And hope for better participation from players and management.
The US could field 2 or 3 teams easily.  The current team is good, but is certainly not as good as it could be.
Even Canada has some no-shows, like Gagne and Dempster. 
It would be truly exciting if it really was "best on best".

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 04:43 AM »
I think the Dominican Republic is gonna take this tournament.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 09:39 AM »
I agree.  They have some heavy hitters.  Ortiz is the best.  I still am mad the #@$%@ Twins let him go.  They complained for years about not having a true power hitter, and they had him, then dumped him.  Morons. 

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 10:13 AM »
I agree.  They have some heavy hitters.  Ortiz is the best. 

Yup.  And it never hurt to have Albert Pujols, Vladimir Guerrero, and Miguel Tejada as insurance.  They are stacked.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 02:13 PM »
Oh yeah I forgot the Olympics was kicking out baseball and softball.  Well that makes sense then I suppose. 

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 09:09 AM »
USA beats Japan 4-3.  Kind of an iffy call that went against Japan on a sac fly.  The runner at third was called out because he supposedly left before the catch was made.  Kind of hard to tell from the replays.