Author Topic: Delta Squad on our way... to the ball!  (Read 5020 times)

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
Delta Squad on our way... to the ball!
« on: March 9, 2006, 10:24 PM »
First of all, a disclaimer. I can't take any credit at all for the concept of a clone trooper in formal attire.  This idea, concept, & most of the recipe, is shamelessly ripped off of Tonphanan from the FFURG FForums, whose ceremonial attire clone trooper can be seen here.  I so adored his custom that I just HAD to try it myself.  In fact, in the next few months or so, I plan to include said formal-dress clones in a small but hopefully funny photocomic project, of which what follows is a preview of sorts.

So, having said that, I am honored to present to you Delta Squad, from the game Republic Commando, dressed and ready for the Clone Troopers' Ball!

All are repainted Bail Organa bodies with various Clone heads and headcasts.  (One's the AT-TE tank gunner, and doggone it, I've forgotten the other one...)  The sashes are pieces of 1/4" ribbon, held on with that sticky-tack stuff that usually hangs posters.  (That will allow me to change the colored sashes so that the same four figures can represent various other clones in different shots.)

Comments, compliments, and constructive criticisms always appreciated!  Enjoy! :)

... the Findswoman

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Delta Squad on our way... to the ball!
« Reply #1 on: March 9, 2006, 10:53 PM »
Whoa....Neat Idea....I've gotta try to make some of these. Have you read Triple Zero yet? I just bought it last night. :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 9, 2006, 11:32 PM »
You are always so creative Esther!  Wonderful work, and one heck on an idea.  Really look good, I didn't realize the Bail body would work that well for that.  Cool!

:P

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 08:43 AM »
Nice use of variety with the At-te Gunner head and the Evolution pack clone trooper head.
Kind of ads variety to them.
Are they really tall though?
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 08:46 AM »
That's a very interesting concept there- I like it. The sashes are nice and the paint apps are very smooth and flawless. Although, in that pic, Fixer kinda looks like he's kindad retarded...must be the Tank Gunner head. Anyway, these are great, simple and very effective.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 11:27 AM »
Very nice update.  Now we see why you needed all those Bail Organa bodies.... That is new set of clone elites.  Now you just need to make their dates.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 11:44 AM »
Great idea... now how are you going to explain the reason why these clones are a head taller than the clonetroopers they'll eventually become  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 11:45 AM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 11:46 AM »
Thanks for the comments, everyone!  Glad this silly little experiment is bringing a few smiles to faces!  :)  Now to respond to some individuals:

JediKnight760071, alas, no, I have not read Triple Zero yet.  Perhaps at some point when I no longer have graduate school breathing down my neck, I'll be able to!

CHEWIE, awww, you're so nice!  I aim to please.  Looking forward to seeing what ou will think of the photocomic thingie that these four are going in!  :)

Clone Commander, thanks for reminding me what that other head was!  I remembered the AT-TE one but couldn't remember the other.  All the heads except Scorch's are casts, as it turns out -- more on that below.  

Both Clone Commander and Jedijaybird: Oh yes, the Bail figure is pretty tall, isn't he, compared to the troopers?  Well, let's see... perhaps they've padded their boots for this ball so as to look more impressive to the ladies?  Or some such?  :D  In any case, they're not too outrageously tall in comparison to the ladies who are going to attend the ball (who are mainly just temporary spare-parts-swap customs).  Here's a comparison shot with a few of them:

And now, Darth Nirvana... :)

That's a very interesting concept there- I like it. The sashes are nice and the paint apps are very smooth and flawless. Although, in that pic, Fixer kinda looks like he's kinda retarded...must be the Tank Gunner head. Anyway, these are great, simple and very effective.

Yes, the Clone Currently Playing Fixer definitely has kind of a stupefied look on his face in that photo.  I'm mainly to blame for that, since his head is a cast of a Tank Gunner head which I painted myself and which ended up with kind of big eye.  In fact, all of those heads except the one on the Clone Currently Playing Scorch -- which is just a plain ol' Tank Gunner head -- are casts, made by the excellent Glassman6 and repainted by myself.  Here are some close-ups of the faces:

It's embarrassingly clear who's painted and who's not!   :)  The eyes are the hardest part and took multiple tries on all of them -- still working on perfecting that.

Thanks again for the excellent input, everyone!  Much appreciated!  :)

... the Findswoman
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 12:10 PM by findswoman »

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 01:05 PM »
haha, you finnaly got around to doing these.
Aren't you glad I turned you on to RC.
You did an excellant job with the bodies and the Idea is done almost perfectly, just gotta work on those eyes, but I bet if you spent a little more time you could do it perfectly.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 02:38 PM »
Great set of formal attire clones Finds,
the look fantastic.
What you could do to fix the eyes, is add flesh color above the eyes.
It would make the eyes look smaller.

Smaller pupils might help too. The eyes are definately the hardes parts for me.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 04:20 PM »
See it goes to prove that the bail organa body isn't completely worthless. We've as a group found many different ways to use this body.

Findswoman, I really like these. I think these are better than the ones that were at ffurg a few months ago. The ribbon is in scale and they look great with their dates. It would be even better if they had little medals on the sashes or shirts.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jedi_Assassin

• Jedi Initiate
  • My people are dead, I shall have revenge.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 08:14 AM »
Very nice, I like how you did this. Didnt I see this over at ffurg a little while ago? Just curious.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 11:11 AM »
You know when I first read the title of this thread it definately lifted an eyebrow. But these guys are great. Its something I never would have thought to do. Delta squad cleans up pretty good. Its a wonderful use for an otherwise lame figure. I love the different colored sashes. If I could find a couple more Bails Id probably give this a try myself. Excellent job as always, Findswoman.

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
NEW Clone Ball photos! (Warning: many pics!)
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 11:04 AM »
Thanks, everyone!

Now, to answer a few specific comments before going on to the NEW PHOTOS:

Phruby and Ennis, you mention the Bail Organa body...  I have to admit, I've always liked this figure quite a bit. It's got nice articulation, and it's a pretty generic pants & shirt outfit that could be used for most anything.  (Plus, the head is great for Baron Fel!)  If anything, I wish it had been MORE of a pegwarmer out here so I could snag a few just as generic Human male bodies and such!

Ennis, yes, I see where the title of my thread certainly could have raised many an eyebrow out there.  Mention of a "ball" immediately adds a dimension of girliness not found in most clone custom threads.  But at girlification I excel, if at nothing else!  :D

Alderaan Guardian, yes, I posted these guys on FFURG as well.  Whenever I have new customs I usually put them in about 3 or 4 different forums at once.  Publicity = good!  :D

All right, and now, on to some BRAND NEW PHOTOS of the REPUBLIC TROOPERS' BALL!  At present these are just general ballroom shots of this little temporary diorama, but I hope to add some with actual dialogue soon, photocomic style.   

Do enjoy, everyone!

More to come soon.  Once again, thanks to all!  You're a great audience! :D

... the Findswoman

Offline Jedi_Assassin

• Jedi Initiate
  • My people are dead, I shall have revenge.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 11:06 AM »
Very nice. I like how you did it. Iwas just over at RS and saw these and was gonna ask when you were gonna post here.