Author Topic: Vehicles: Do You Collect/Display Them?  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Vehicles: Do You Collect/Display Them?
« on: March 10, 2006, 04:04 PM »
There's a few different vehicle threads in the forums, so forgive me if this is redundant at all.  I was just wondering how many of you collect the vehicles, and if you do, if you display them.  Are there only certain ones you buy (maybe OT or PT, or just new ones or properly scaled ones), or do you buy anything that is new or different?  Also, do you (and how do you) display them?  I have been looking at my vehicles lately, and while I do have them all out, they are tough to display sometimes because of their size and I'm pretty much out of room at this point.  With some more rumored this year that I'd like to pick up (Snowspeeder, AT-AT), as well as some other OT vehicles that I'd like to eventually pick up (Imp. Shuttle, Cloud Car, Y-Wing, Skiff, Sandcrawler, TIE Bomber), I know that space will be even more of an issue.  I've considered packing up some of the PT ships, but I really like some of them too.  Anyways, I was just wonder how many of you collect the vehicles.  If you have them, do you display them in a particular way or have to pack them up?

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
Re: Vehicles: Do You Collect/Display Them?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 04:19 PM »
Nice Thread.

Well I love vehicles and I display as many as I can.  I actually think that given the fact these are toys and if they do no have a window display it is a crime not to open and show them off (IMHO).

Half of my basement is finished and so it is my Star Wars/home theater room.  I display vehicles in dioramas with figures.  I have my Arena battle playset with all the figures that have been made from that sequence there and I have two gunships.  One is taking off after dropping off reinforcements and the second is fighting two geonosian fighters in the air.  A single Hallfire droid drives around the scene. 

I have an AT-AT crushing a snowspeeder (with Dak still in it).  While another snowspeeder "flies" around another AT-AT with a tow cable. 

I have a rebel hangar that has two x-wings, a y-wing and two a-wings along with a few dozen pilots (released and customized) and lot of droids.

I have an ARC-170 giving Anakin's and Obi-Wan JFs support as they fence off two of those tri-droid fighters.

I have some TIE (fighters, bomber and interceptors) dog fighting with alliance ships. 

All of these hang from the ceiling.  I have 6 or so x-wings and a-wings plus 3 b-wings in storage waiting for more ceiling space when I buy a house.

I have wookie copters flying over a massive battle between droids and wookies and clones.  Yoda is flying over in his dragonfly looking thing.

I have some vehicles that I like to much that I keep in my desk at home, work, or in the lab like the T-16, Slave 1, EU airspeeder and cloud car.  Most of them though I display in an action sequence.  Amidala's ship, the Falcon and Anakin's CW fighter sit proudly in shelves of my entertainment center.

You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 05:29 PM »
I have my BARC Speeder parked behind my Clones. My Droid Starfighter (Vulture) is on the same shelf with my small CIS army, and my EU SOTE Swoop is parked next to my K*Mart Cantina. I couldn't fit my Target TIE Fighter on one of my shelves, so it's sitting on my desk.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 06:50 PM »
If it's not to-scale I pass at this point...  Which is nice because I save a lot of $ these days.

For display, right now it's mostly packed away but I am pondering hanging some items.  I have multiples of some ships though, and as many as 6 red A-Wings and 4 Green A-Wings...  So those won't hang but I'll probably just shelf them.  I have a lot of TIE Bombers too and two Target TIE's I'll probably shelf somewhere as well.

The Jedi Fighters I may hang though simply because they'll be out of the way if I do that.

I used to collect 1:18 WW2 Airplanes however there's so many and they're so huge that I can't justify buying them. The armor pieces I still buy I'm trying to just display side-by-side since it shows scale, comparisons of pieces that would have matched up, etc...  But these things are all huge compared to most SW toys.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 07:17 PM »
I love the ships, but space has definately become a big factor. Now I will only buy/keep them if they fit in to a theme I have. I have a cabinet that is all Imerials, so my stormtroopers, tie pilots, etc etc go in there. There is a shuttle, two ties, two interceptors, a bomber, Darth's Tie, and two AT-AT's. It's nice, because the different shelves are like hanger bays. The AT-AT's are surrounded by snowtroopers, the ties by pilots, the standard shuttle scene, etc.

I also have a cabinet devoted to Tatooine, so that has the landspeeder, sandcrawler, Falcon, and miscellaneous swoops.

Last is the rebel hanger with a couple of Y wings and A wings, plus luke's x wing. This gives the pilots and astromechs some props to hang around.

I really like the action fleet ships, but since they are not to scale they sit in a rubbermaid bin. It's too bad, because at that scale you can actually line up a dozen ties and x wings and create some really cool scenes. Unfortunately, there is never enough space.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 07:56 PM »
I used to collect most of them, but had to pass on a bunch of ROTS ones I wanted.  Mostly it's space.  All of them are in a closet, though I do have the AT AT in there laying down the law.  I really like them, and I wish had the space/cash to go gonzo with them.  I am looking forward to getting the CW gunship, though.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 07:50 AM »
Ditto that Spuffy, I'm looking forward to the CW gunship as well. That will sit so cool in the middle of all the animated figures-  Time for another cabinet...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 12:31 PM »
I have all the ships, and I try to display them all, but after 25 years, it's begining to take up too much space. Now I only open the stuff I want to display from the PT. OT, everything goes on display.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 04:26 PM »
I have almost every vehicle, but most of them are in Rubbermaid bins in my folk's basement. The only one I have on display is the Target TIE with a few Imperials around it.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 11:14 PM »
I mostly get prequel vehicles to go with my preference of prequel figures. Yes, I do like the prequels more than the OT. I only have one OT vehicle, which is a TIE fighter with the ginormous wings. I hope to eventually get Vaders TIE, the Falcon, an X- and Y- wing, an AT-AT and a snowspeeder. I developed ways to hang my vehicles on my shelves, so that makes room for figures below, and it looks like they're flying/dogfighting. I use the little rubber bands and twist ties that the vehicles are secured with in their packages to hang them up, and I do it so they are easily removeable, but stay secure and in place. Along with the above OT vehicles, there are several ROTS vehicles I missed and future PT vehicles I'd like to pick up. I believe that the figure line would be nothing if it weren't for the vehicles, playsets, and deluxe lines. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 11:14 PM by mister_palpatine »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 01:52 PM »
I like to get at least one of each vehicle to open, if not more for army-building purposes.  Even if it's not to scale (heck, what really is in most toy lines anyway) it's still enjoyable for me.  I'd say here's what I have on display for vehicles, all in dioramas -

Diorama 1 - Dagobah w/ TRU Luke's X-Wing
Diorama 2 - Geonosis hangar w/ a couple Dooku Swoops
Diorama 3 - Jabba's Palace, no vehicles here
Diorama 4 - Purchase of the Droids, w/ the OTC Sandcrawler
Diorama 5 - Imperial Fortress (by Owen D) w/ 4 AT-RT's and one custom Landspeeder
Diorama 6 - Yavin Hangar w/ one large X-Wing, one Y-Wing, one custom War Speeder, one custom Troop Transport, one Millenium Falcon
Diorama 7 - Endor Battle w/ 4 AT-ST's
Diorama 8 - Mos Eisley w/ SAGA Luke's Landspeeder, one custom landspeeder, one custom ATL Interceptor, several Dewbacks/Rontos
Diorama 9 - Tantive IV, no vehicles
Diorama 10 - Tusken Slaughter w/ Anakin's Swoop and four Banthas
Diorama 11 - Yavin War Room, no vehicles
Diorama 12 - Dex Diner, no vehicles
Diorama 13 - Naboo Hangar w/ one Naboo Starfighter
Diorama 14 - Echo Base w/ one Snowspeeder, one Side Gunner and one custom Troop Transport
Diorama 15 - Geonosis Battle w/ one Hailfire Droid, one Gunship, one custom Homing Spider Droid (by Owen D)
Diorama 16 - Mygeeto Invasion, no vehicles
Diorama 17 - Outlander Club, no vehicles
Diorama 18 - Battle of Hoth, three AT-AT's and two Snowspeeders
Diorama 19 - Jedi Council, no vehicles
Diorama 20 - Courscant Landing Strip with Royal Starship
Diorama 21 - Cantina, no vehicles
Diorama 22 - Kamino, one custom Aiwha (by Owen D)
Diorama 23 - Star Destoyer Diorama (by Owen D), w/ two custom INT-4 vehicles
Diorama 24 - Boonta Eve, Anakin and Sebulba's Podracers
Diorama 25 - ROTJ Rebel Hangar with two A-Wings, OTC Y-Wing, Red Leader X-Wing, Milennium Falcon
Diorama 26 - Kashyyyk Battle w/ one AAT Tank, two mini Spider Droids, one Wookiee Flyer, two Crab Droids
Diorama 27 - Geonosis Arena - no vehicles but lots of beasts
Diorama 28 - Cloud City w/ vintage Cloud Car
Diorama 29 - Naboo Battle w/ two Fambaas, two AAT Tanks
Diorama 30 - Ben's home, no vehicles
Diorama 31 - Republic Hangar with ARC-170
Diorama 32 - Mustafar, no vehilces
Diorama 33 - Utapua with ROTS Gunship, Crab Droid
Diorama 34 - Death Star with Imperial Shuttle
Diorama 35 - Senate Duel, no vehicles
Diorama 36 - Dooku's Death, no vehicles

Then I do have about 10 or so extra vehicles that are kind of out of place on shelves or hanging from the ceiling.

:P

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 07:31 PM »
I am all about the vehicles. I collect figures too but it's the vehicles I really dig. I don't have many displayed though due to space. I just have a speeder bike, Obi Wan's green ROTS star fighter and a POTF2 snowspeeder set out. I have bunch more but they are still in the boxes. Opened for the most part but still in the boxes. I'm dying to get the CW gunship and I'm hopeing that they come out with a new death star some day.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 08:12 PM »
I have an AOTC Gunship, a ROTS Gunship, Obi Wans blue Starfighter, Plo Koons Starfighter, and 5 Speeder bikes on top of my bookcase, but it won't stay that way for long......
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 04:30 AM »
Even if it's not to scale (heck, what really is in most toy lines anyway)

BBI and X-Treme Detail for starters...  Both of which make incredibly complex vehicles out of more parts than probably 10 Hasbro toys combined and for prices that rival Hasbro.  I've never seen Hasbro as having an "excuse" with vehicles, and the way they factor size and price they actually don't make an excuse either.

A ship is often scaled to the packaging more than the figures...  price maintains at a constant ($15, $20, & $30 if we're using ROTS as an example).  The ship is made to fit a "standard" they've set for the box though...  Could they deliver more?  Sure, but it would require deviating from presets which they won't do...  If it's to-scale by coincidence though it works, like the Tri-Fighter, JSF's, etc... 

Thankfully they get off their ass now and then and do something pretty spectacular though like the TIE Fighter last year or the Saga Landspeeder.  I only hope things like AT-ST, Snowspeeder, and some others get redone...  Otherwise I've come to expect little out of them with their vehicles.

When you open a $20 halftrack from 21st Cent. Toys and compare it to anything Hasbro made though, there's simply nothing they have that has come close to that quality level...  No matter how big or small the Hasbro ship is.

For me, ships are so collector-focused these days anyway (honestly, look at the exclusives...  Unless its a movie year, ships generally go to the adults) and sell so poorly overall (I blame a bit of burnout on the "same old same old" here) I think they'd be better off doing less and less vehicles within any year and they should  focus producing all-new and "collector-focused" ships every whipstitch as exclusives (like the Landspeeder)...  Preferably ones that can be repainted and re-released as something totally new ala what the military lines do to help the costs.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 12:41 PM »
The thing is though Jesse, that while people you and me say they would love to see more to-scale stuff, we don't get it for a variety of reasons.

(1) A Sandcrawler, AT-AT, Juggernaut, Sail Barge, AT-TE, etc. of that scale would be almost as big as a sandbox or even a small car in some cases.  Most Star Wars vehicles are gigantic in comparison to a tank or a jeep.  Even the current molds used on the X-Wing are underscaled (but work well I think).

(2) There is the cost issue - who can afford something to that scale?  Or even find somewhere to put it?  Unfortunately even when Hasbro makes a $30-$40 Gunship, people are wanting to wait for it to go on clearance.  So in that case, I don't know why they would jump to make bigger items.  I agree that you get more bang for your buck with the 21st Century line, but at the same time that's not a brand name like Star Wars - Hasbro always is higher priced on their toys.  I think that 21st Century is more like McFarlane in cheaper prices and great sculpts but not always the "name brand."

There's other reasons too.  But to think they are ever going to make vehicles to scale (except in a few minor exceptions) is dreaming I think.  So, I'd rather see vehicles that are made out of scale as to not getting them made at all.  Then of course there is always the route of making them yourself or talking to someone like Owen D.

:P