Author Topic: Which army-builders need a facelift?  (Read 4040 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Which army-builders need a facelift?
« on: May 10, 2003, 03:12 AM »
There are a few army-builders that I think it is time Hasbro starts going back to the drawing board and doing some major resculpting, others that could use a little tweaking, and still others that could use some head variants.  

ALL NEW SCULPTS:

Hoth Rebel Trooper

- I think that the one that came with the Deluxe Hoth Cannon is pretty cool, and much better than the regular POTF2 bearded man, but an all new one would be a welcome addition I think, especially if it were on par with the new Hoth Han Solo.  With the improved Snowtrooper already on the way, this could be coming too.  Somewhere I think I might have seen it mentioned on a preview list?

Clonetrooper

- I don't feel that Hasbro has done this awesome army-builder justice as of yet, here it is over a year since EPII's release, and we are yet to have a great all-around Clone.  How about one that has CT Stormtrooper-esque articulation with added wrist articulation?  The Clone 3-pk will be a lot of fun, but I wish that a better carded version would come out too.  I'm sure eventually one will, but I have to have one tomorrow when I go to Walmart. ;)

TWEAKING:

CT Stormtrooper

- This is still a great figure (possibly my favorite ever), but wouldn't it be nice if somewhere down the road they re-released it as a basic carded figure with added wrist articulation?  And possibly a blaster that could attach a blast effect?

Naboo Guard (orange/yellowish outfit)

- Maybe a complete overhaul would be better, but I wouldn't mind the earlier one being re-released with some added articulation, or even a head variant which could also go into the next category.

HEAD VARIANT:

Bespin Guard

- Pretty simple here, just make one that looks like a Mexican or Spanish man like the vintage version, and perhaps an African American one too.  That would be awesome.  Considering they are doing it with the Outlander Club patrons, I feel they should do the same with the Bespin Guards, who tend to be much more recognizable to casual fans and kids too.

There's more than these right now that I could mention, this is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

What are your opinions?  Are there some others you would like to see?

:P

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Which army-builders need a facelift?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 12:55 PM »
I worship the ground you walk on Chewie.     8)

Seriously though, you make awesome points there!  There isn't one thing that you said that I could contest with.

The one figure I would love to see done better is the Clone Trooper.  I wish Hasbro would make them in the "attention" position like the bootlegs I own (see picture here).  Some color rankings would be great, and put as much articulation on that figure as possible.
dustrho

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 03:49 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing all the army building figures re-released with some fresh updates and detailing to them.  The head swapping would work well on a few, and getting an ultimate Stormtrooper (Commtech was close) and Clonetrooper are a must, I agree!

The Hoth Rebel Soldier might be in the most need right now, as we're still working off the rather old POTF2 sculpt, but with his inclusion in the recent Target accessory set, it might not happen for a little while still.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 06:13 PM »
I can't believe I didn't think of this one before, but what about Rebel fighter pilots (i.e. X-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, E-Wing, and Y-Wing Pilots)???  There are only so many that were carded (actual characters, but not army builders), and then there was the POTF2 Rebel Pilots package.

Rebel pilots are definitely a MUST in my book (and for my collection).  Lets hope Hasbro does something like this for us all.
dustrho

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 07:25 AM »
I agree with all of your army builders CHEWIE...but I would also like to see an assortment of EWOKS as well

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 01:48 AM »
Ewoks would be cool....

I could use a few more of those fuzzballs getting blasted by my Stormtoopers and AT-STs in my Endor diorama. ;)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 10:33 AM »
So far I agree with everyone else. We definitely need some facelifts around here. ;)

I'd like to see a Spacetrooper more along the lines of how it appeared (however briefly) in ANH. Maybe as part of an "ultimate" Stormtrooper figure packed with enough accessories to make Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers, or Spacetroopers.

A Dark Trooper that wan't so... Image Comics inspired would be great, too.

And when will Hasbro get around to reissuing ALL PIT DROIDS in one convenient multi-pack? (Not that they need facelifts per se, but c'mon, who wouldn't buy this?)
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 11:37 AM »
Death Star Gunner

either the ROTJ version or a less bulked down version of the POTF2 figure.  

Imperial Officer

The second biggest waste of a figure since the Scout Trooper, why they went with the jumpsuit is beyond me, why they didn't go with a tunic is baffling.  They could have done color and head variants and sold oodles upon oodles of them. (although I still bought or traded for 10 or 12 of them)

Death Star Trooper

Worst Army Builder Ever, although the head and helmet are very sweet the rest...ugh

I would love a new Echo Base Soldier so that is not really a tweak, plus one rumored at one point, a whole new uber-articulated Scout Trooper would be nice but I'm not crossing my fingers

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 12:05 AM »
i'll take anything out of the Imperial Army and Navy without complaint.

but what we reall need are Rebel Forces, those of Hoth specifically. hell, we also need leaders such as crix madine and doddona, although he seems to be on the way.

ewoks could use some support too.

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2003, 06:48 AM »
I agree Ewoks, lots of little furry guys!!! They have a couple of molds already!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2003, 11:33 AM »
I think the Teebo sculpt is awesome.  If they used his sculpt with new accessories and paint job I would pick up a couple more.  That should be an easy job for Hasbro to do.

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2003, 04:46 PM »
Definitely a yes on that one...maybe we could get a deluxe one that comes with a hanglider or a catapult!

Offline max_one

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2003, 06:07 PM »
more Ewoks, more Jedi, and maybe some various rebel technicians, i don't think Luke got his X-wing ready before the Battle of Yavin.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2003, 09:54 PM »
Oh yeah, I bought a bunch of Bespin Luke's mainly because of his jumpsuit to create some generic Rebel techs

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2003, 11:09 PM »
I agree Ewoks, lots of little furry guys!!! They have a couple of molds already!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh >:( ::) ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.