Author Topic: Custom Works By Jedi_Master_Ben  (Read 19301 times)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
Re: Custom Works By Jedi_Master_Ben
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 11:23 AM »
Once again ben, great work. very impressive stuff.

What other lines have you made figures for? I would love to see more of your work.
Do you have a website?

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 04:45 PM »
The Bab 5 heads are exceptional. You do excellent work. Im with Glassman on this, Id love to see more. I want that G'kar head, hes my favorite character. The likeness is dead on.

I am really looking forward to seeing more of your work. I am very impressed.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 04:15 PM »
Jedi-Ben - the more I see your sculpting skills the more impressed I am!  I wish I had the ability to create such fine details.  I may look into this MonsterMaker clay you use.  Do you have to "cure" it after you've sculpted with it?

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 06:17 PM »
Hello everyone,

I want to take this time and reply to the nice comments everyone has left me.

Glassman6:  Thank you for your comments. I do love a good challenge. It helps to sharpen ones skills and force you to do something new and different. I know it is really a lot of work to sculpt an entire figure from scratch instead of just slapping on some sculpty parts on an existing figure, but the satisfaction you get when you step back and say "I made this!".  Then the next thing you say, "OK, what’s next." That to me is the gratification from this hobby. I think it is no more different than the what the garage kit model makers must feel when they make their statues and sell them for hundreds of dollars each ;D. I have done a Resident Evil line for a small toy company here in Statesboro. Unfortunately, they did not get the license. I will post pictures soon. In addition, I will post the figures that I made over the years to show the progression of my skills. I have to warn you, some are down right hideous ;).

Chewie: Thank for the input on the pod racers. I think Hasbro dropped the ball on these. I had a lot of fun making them. It reminds me of how ILM would have made the models for the film, kit bashed and all. As soon as Hasbro announces the pod racer two pack this year, you know I will already drawing up new vehicle plans for their pod racers. ;D

Jesse James: Thanks for the kind words. I always liked the idea of cross media toy production. It kind of goes back to the day when I used to play with my Star Wars toys and my Battlestar Galactica figures. I think if you design your toys to match a popular line, then the chances of your toys will sell are better if you do not match the format. I wish I sill have my Battlestar figures :-[. The Tantive IV is not finished yet. It is over 3 1/2 feet long. It is big, but manageable, like the queen ship form episode 1.

Darth_Ennis: Thanks for the kind comments. I loved the over the top production design of the aliens. I never got to see the series as a hole, but from what shows I did see, I did like them enough for me to take interest. After Episode 1 came out, I thought these heads would make great senators or just back ground characters.

BrentS: Thanks for the comments. You know, I started out doing the same thing you all are doing, but with vintage figures. It was only natural that I progress to sculpting complete figures. You can too. With research and experimentation, you will advance your skills. As for the monstermaker clay, there is no curing involved. This clay is a wax/ oil base clay. It has the reverse properties of that of super sculpty. The colder it is, the harder it is, and vise versa. The point of this clay is to make a model and then make a mold of it to be replaced with some other medium (wax, plastic, ect...)

Thanks everyone for stopping by and I hope to continue to inspire and amaze you all in the future.

Jedi_Master_Ben

"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2006, 02:13 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm back again with a quick post of my March MCC entry, Senator Toona Solbar, the Minbari repersentive to the Republic Senate.

Until next posting,

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 02:32 PM »
Hey everyone,

I have to tell you, I am having a ball with this months topic! I was so happy the way my Minbari head turned out, I went back and started to redo my Centauri head. Here is the work in progress.

Since I do not have but a few loose figures with ball joint necks, I sculpted the head on the only male body I had. So, just for fun, here is the Centauri Smuggler.

And yes, the next head I will sculpt is a G'Kar and I had a request from someone over at RS to do a warrior class of the Minbari. I think I just started something. Let me know what you think.

Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 03:15 PM »
I didn't know there were Bablyon 5 figures. Wait? You sculpted those? Wow. What a great idea for a custom alien. That first one with the mon mothma body looks great! Great paint job on the head.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 08:38 PM »
I just have to say...Remarkable.
That sculpt is just remarkable. Your alien is remarkable!

So let me ask,  have you ever tried just sculpting with wax? skipping the first sculpt and go straight to the wax?
Then you could get the sculpt and detailing all done and not have the extra mold step?

JUst curious.

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 09:44 PM »
Master_Phruby: Thanks for the feedback. I think I found my nitch in the group. I really like makeing these. I plan on doing a hole lot more. Imagine, a Luxan Bounty Hunter from Farscape, or a Centauri Jedi Master. The posibilities would be endless. Thanks.

Glassman6: Thanks for your feedback as well. I just shot Bantha5 an e-mail finding out when is his next batch of wax will be ready. I don't think I could wait any longer. I know I am ready to take on the next step and try sculpting in wax. In the mean time, have you seen this web site from Art Asylem:

http://www.designinteract.com/features_d/asylum/101_asylum.html

It features thier sculpting process. As I told Bantha5, if for some reason I do not take to completely sculpt in wax, I could use this method. I know its an extra stage in the process making, but as long as I can achieve the desire results, I will use the method that best works for me. Right now, I am at  the mercy of Bantha5 until I have my own wax to play with. Thanks for your support and providing me with great feedback.

Well, thats it for now. Until the next posting,

Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2006, 10:45 PM »
Great link, man, thanks. I've never seen this before...gonna read  it thuroughly...be back later!

Very good read, ben. Thanks. I may have to give this method a try and see if it yeilds different results for me,
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 07:28 PM by Glassman6 »

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 05:39 AM »
Man is there no end to your scuplting ability you are a master that is for sure the detail you put into the faces is oustanding well done indeed mate.

Ron

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 12:22 PM »
Hey everyone,

I have a real quick post for you all today. This is my Narn male head, G'Kar from Babylon 5.

Also, I picked up a AAYLA SECURA figure at Toys R Us mega buy and slapped on a cast of the female Minbari head on her. I need to know how diffrent the neck posts between each character. It was a good thing I did so, not all ball joint are the same for each character. Mon Mothma's ball joint is bigger than AAYLA SECURA. This can be modified from figure to figure. Anyways, here is a quick pic of this Minbari Jedi.

Thanks for stopping by,

Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 03:22 PM »
Now that's a cool idea. Any plans to sell casts? I really like these alien heads especially the one on the Aayla body.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 07:02 PM »
Mate they are awsome they look excatly like the characters, if you ever do SG1 or Star Trek heads in 3-3/4 let me know I buy them for sure.

Ron

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 07:34 PM »
Hey everyone,

Master_Phruby: Thanks for the comment, and yes I do plan on making casts of these heads and make them availible to you all. I posted this questioniar on this thread:

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=11677.0

Only you have responded to it, so far. I have posted a simular questioniar to the RS forum and I have been bombarded with orders and requests for their favorite alien head. I will post the request list that I started over there here so that you all could give me your requests and see the progression of the heads as I post new images.

hemble: Thanks for the kind words. Put together a list of charaters names and post them on that thread or send me a pm with your wishlist and I will ad them to the list. I will work down the order as they are posted. I am working closely with Bantha5 on getting the wax and refinning skills down to proffesional level work. Once I have mastered that, I would feel more comfortable doing the whole figure at that point. Heads are more managable right now with the setup I have.

I will keep you all posted on the progress of these heads and share some of the ideas I have like the Minbari Jedi I just posted. I think with these heads, we could double if not tripple the custom posibilities hear.

Thanks for the support,

Jedi_Master_Ben