Author Topic: Custom Works By Jedi_Master_Ben  (Read 19305 times)

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
Custom Works By Jedi_Master_Ben
« on: March 17, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I have been customizing Star Wars figures since 1992. I started to sculpt my own figures starting in 1996. I was published in Wizzard Magazine in JAN 98 issue for Homemade Heros, where I recieved Grand Prize for my Cantina Diorama featuring my sculpted figures. In 2002, I was commisioned to design 6 figures for a toy company in GA. The toys were fashioned after the New Resident Evil line. Unfortantly, the company did not win the lincence. I am currently desinging charaters for a stopmotion film project. With all this experience, my main love will always be with Star Wars Figures. I surfed the web and came across custom forums and decided to join. I was inspired again to sculpt new figures and share them with others. I came accross this site while looking at Glassman's and Chewie's customs on other forums. I wanted to share with this community my custom works. I have strived to develope my skills to be equaled only by those at Hasbro. With help from Bantha5 and Sithfire_30 as well as hard reaserch and practice I am closer to my goal. Let me know what you think and I am always open to sujestion. So with out further delay, I present my customs and works in progress. Thank you,

Jedi_Master_Ben

WIP Tantive IV Rebel Blockade Runner

Gasgano and Ody Mandrel Pod Racers

Imperial AT-PT

WIP X-WING MOD kit with maintenance platform

WIP Teemto PagaliesPod Racer

WIP Barada

WIP Klatuu

WIP Nikto

WIP Mawhonic

WIP Yarna D'al Gargan

« Last Edit: April 4, 2006, 10:12 AM by Jedi_Master_Ben »
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Works By Jedi_Master_Ben
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 11:40 AM »
Jedi_Master_Ben, I've seen some of your work elsewhere and am very glad you are showing it here too.  I really enjoy it and hope to hear your thoughts on our work too, and what you would suggest on improvements.  You really have a broad range of customizing talent, including painting, sculpting, etc.  And vehicles!  So cool to see someone with so much to offer adding to this section.

As soon as I have time, I'll comment on each of these.  I really am impressed, to say the least.

:P
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 04:08 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Thanks Chewie, that means alot comming from you. I can't wait to hear your input. The only way we improve is through our peers comments. Feedback is the key to growth.

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 05:05 PM »
Welcome aboard mate and nice to see you over here.

I have to say that I'm very impressed with your work the vehicles look excellent and the figures well mate they are some of the best scuplting work I've seen for a long time you have a great talent  indeed.

Ron

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 06:55 PM »
Wow!

Once in a while you see a Customizer come along on these Boards, whom makes you Wonder, Is This guy really  working for Hasbro and Just posting his Stuff here for kicks. I know these Guys are out there somewhere, is it not posible that they pop in on us every now and then for inspiration or just to laugh at us amatures.

Ben, Your work is just that good, and that makes me wonder are you really a Pro?

Either Way, I can't wait to see more of your work and possibly pick up some Sculpting Tips.

Fritzkrieg

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 11:40 AM »
WOW!!!!!
I saw your work over at FFURG and was amazed, but now they look spectacular!
Really nice AT-PT, by the way...do you work for hasbro?  :P
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 04:30 PM »
JB, I commented on your figures over at Galactic Hunter.  But I want to echo, I'm amazed at your sculpting skills.  These figures will look outstanding when they are completed!  You may even have people wanting to buy casts once they are made.

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Tell your people to take shelter."
    • View Profile
    • Sofie and Jeffreys' Art/Custom Database
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 03:03 PM »
Nice job, but a lot of those casts look exactly like the work from guys like RickyUk and Bantha5... DId you buy some casts from these guys?
"You're right! The Wu-Tang and the Shaolin could be dangerous!!"

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
  • i'm the monster's mother...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 04:17 PM »
these are really great items! i'm blown away by the podracers most of all -- amazing! i look forward to seeing more of your work completed.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 04:25 PM »
What I like best is the WIP pictures of  Yarna D'al Gargan. That figure is turning out great. Did you sculpt the entire thing or is it based on something?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 10:30 PM »
Hello everyone,

I would like to thank everyone who has left comments and those just stopped by and had a look at my creations. A lot of you have asked me some question about the various customs I posted. So lets get started with some answers.

hemble:  Thanks for the warm welcome and thanks for the kind words.

Fritzkrieg:  I hate to burst the bubble, I am not a "Pro" sculptor nor do I work for Hasbro. I do take your comment as the highest compliment possible. We all strive to emulate the master toy makers with each and every custom. I have been sculpting custom figures for over 10 years. It is only natural that with every custom created, the skills and experiences increase. Now the question one needs to ask is, when you surpass the master, where does one go from there? Again, thanks for the compliments.

Clone Commander:  I am glad that you like the AT-PT. The legs were from a Battlemech toy long since discontinued. The body was made from styrene sheets and other spare parts. And no, still not working for Hasbro :'(. Maybe one day.

BrentS: Thanks for the compliments. I belong to 4 forums so the chances of seeing my stuff amongst them is very probable. Since there is not a local group that practice this hobby, the forum is the only source of feedback. I only get better with every response. As for selling the casted figures, I will have to look into how to do it safely. As much as I would love to meet Uncle George, I do not want it in a court room.  ;D

Kit Fisto: Thanks for the comment. I want to let you know that I have seen UK Rick and Bantha5 (who I have talked with about the Gargan project) customs and in fact theirs were the inspiration to do the Gargan and Mawhonic figures. I did not purchase those figures from them. I studied their pictures, then did research on the film character costumes and made my own choices on the design approach for the customs. Believe me, they are not the same sculpt or style as those of UK Rick and Bantha5. By the way, they have seen these pictures on another forum and they are supportive. I do have to confess one thing, I did buy a Ben Quadinaros from Bantha5 and I am really happy with it. ;D

darth_ripley:  Thanks for the compliment. The Gasgano pods were made from 1Ltr Coke bottles and Ody's pods were made from Mr. Bubble containers and a lot of model frames and tubing. I sometimes look at the ordinary object and see if I could turn it into something useful (and its cheap ;D). I was a little ticked that Hasbro made the figures, did not make the pod racers to go with them. So I took it upon myself to fabricate them. I would like to make all of them one day.

Master_Phruby:  Thanks for the compliment. Yes, the Gargan is sculpted from scratch using a wax/ oil based clay from www.monstermakers.com . I did the body first, the neck, (as seen in the picture) is a ball joint configuration. The head was sculpted on the post, and then separated for molding. A cast of the body and head were made in plastic resin. Two of the worst casts became the foundation for the accessory sculpts, as seen in the picture. The only thing I have left to do is the back of the head and the headdress. I notice that the back was not long enough compared to the reference photos of the actress. So I am going to fix that and make a new mold. This should not affect the headdress. I will update here on this posting as I make changes.

Thanks for everyone’s input. I am glad that I was able to share with you some of my creations. I will be posting here more often now that I found this community.  I do look forward to seeing everyone’s projects as they are made and I will provide my comments and suggestions as well.

Until next posting,

Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 11:19 AM »
Ben, I've been holding off commenting in your work. Maily becasue i have nothing new to add.
Your sculpting is excellent, You are tackeling some very hard figures.
THe vehicles look great!

I know how hard it is to sculpt an entire figure, and you are exceptional at it.

I cant wait to see them finished!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 11:44 AM »
I'm going to eventually comment more on them all, but this post will be on the Podracers.

Those are something people seem to forget about, but I think they are really cool.  Seems like my favorite designs from the film were the ones Hasbro didn't make.  It's always cool thinking about how huge those engines are.  You did a fantastic job putting these together, and the painting is fantastic.  It's impossible to look at these and not smile.   ;)

:P

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 06:38 PM »
Hello everyone,

I had posted a pictures of whats left of my Farscape figures I made back in 1999 as well as some alien heads over at the March MCC. Here are some more detailed pictures of the Farscape figures as well as another look at the alien heads. They did not survive the move to Statesboro. Most of them were not able to be salvaged, so they were lost to me. Those that did make it, I had started to mend them and until I got sidetracked at work and they were abandon until now. Now that I am a better sculptor and have better supplies and tools, I will revisit the line again.

Until the next posting,

Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 04:16 AM »
Those are pretty impressive sculpts you have going Ben.  It's a shame they didn't survive the move.  The bottom alien is really impressive.  It would really translate to Star Wars well to me.  Any of them could really have been adapted as background creatures to any scene.

That's really nice work though sculpting overall, I'm definitely impressed.

Let me say some of your ship work is pretty outstanding too.  The Droid tank's great.  The Tantive IV, is it still in progress or have you finished it yet?  Quite a huge ship.

Nice work man.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77