Author Topic: Fan's Choice Returns - 2006 ToyFare Poll  (Read 143722 times)

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
Re: Fan's Choice Returns
« Reply #360 on: July 6, 2006, 01:15 AM »
I think the Derlin problem was little articulation and one accessory that killed him. With a troop builder, Hasbro needs to wise up and add articulation for maximum poseability and extra accessories don't hurt ether. I hope they use the knowledge of Derlin and remedy the problems in a Echo Base Trooper.

I hope for an EU character more, but it looks like it will be Yarna or Willrow winning. Just my guess.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #361 on: July 6, 2006, 01:36 AM »
I wonder, had Derlin come with say the Hoth tactical screen, would people have bought more of him?

I'd have been enticed to because I want more of that screen.  It's collapsable and would've fit on the cardback too...  I only bought extras on the Major after TRU's sale started...  I think I nabbed two for customizing.

A second head on this figure and maybe a slight tweak to painting it and I think Hasbro could've also beefed up sales on him a bit.  Little extra effort maybe would've helped it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 6, 2006, 02:27 AM »
Might have Jesse, but I think the main reason was the articulation. Unlike Veers it didn't matter as much, because you see more Imperial Officers standing. If he had better elbow joints and knees (maybe ball-joint shoulders) I think he would have sold better that Veers even with his dinky blaster.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 6, 2006, 08:29 PM »
« Last Edit: July 6, 2006, 08:30 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 6, 2006, 08:52 PM »
Gimme a M! Gimme a A! Gimme a L! Gimme a A! Gimme a K!

What's that spell? MALAK!

Glad he's still in the running, I hope he wins.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2006, 09:00 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #365 on: July 6, 2006, 08:58 PM »
Well, I still want Yarna, I voted for her and will always want her. Hermi Odle woul dhave been nice as well if she was #1 and he was #2, but according to your last post that isnt happening. I still have hope Yarna is number #1. You have to figure that the news of who is the winner would leak already.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #366 on: July 6, 2006, 09:05 PM »
Nick:
Zach also added that  "The voters were overwhelmingly in favor of the expanded universe characters, and not the minor characters from the original trilogy. Hermi Odle, for instance? Not a winner."  Sorry to rain on the parade of all the stalwart Ice Cream Maker Guy supporters.

Overwhelmingly? That's a surprise... No OT winners, then? I'll be disapointed if this is true.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 6, 2006, 09:08 PM »
Nick:
Zach also added that  "The voters were overwhelmingly in favor of the expanded universe characters, and not the minor characters from the original trilogy. Hermi Odle, for instance? Not a winner."  Sorry to rain on the parade of all the stalwart Ice Cream Maker Guy supporters.

Overwhelmingly? That's a surprise... No OT winners, then? I'll be disapointed if this is true.

And no PT winners either.  I was genuinely surprised to see that it was such an EU lovefest.

Feedback

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #368 on: July 6, 2006, 09:10 PM »
I wonder, had Derlin come with say the Hoth tactical screen, would people have bought more of him?

I'd have been enticed to because I want more of that screen.  It's collapsable and would've fit on the cardback too...  I only bought extras on the Major after TRU's sale started...  I think I nabbed two for customizing.

A second head on this figure and maybe a slight tweak to painting it and I think Hasbro could've also beefed up sales on him a bit.  Little extra effort maybe would've helped it.

He was too bare in the areas of articulation and accesories. A second head would have spiked sales for him, but he or rather they would have still slagged behind on pegs.
Its a shame he is that grey area hes not bad and hes not great. He is simply background fodder.

No ICMG!
He will not get made any other way, c'mon with most is a EU CRAPFEST! (Yeah I like some of them but I want "REAL" movie characters)
Is this true??????
« Last Edit: July 6, 2006, 09:17 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 6, 2006, 09:40 PM »
Do not get me wrong but there really is not an OT character to truly get behind anymore.  I want a Hermi Odle, Yarna, Tonnika Sisters, and even ICMG but they do not have broad appeal like a main character from a popular video game or comic book story that kids or teens have grown up with.

I was surprised at first but when you think about it this does make sense.  This is their chance to show Hasbro that they want to see those types of characters is made.  We should be happy really because now Hasbro can put more figures out there that will probably sell better than just background cantina and palace figures.  Yet still keep peppering those into the main line. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 6, 2006, 10:31 PM »
Uh-oh.  Seems that the natives are restless at anotherR site.  And what amazes me more is that some of those people seem to think that it's an opinion piece.

Do not get me wrong but there really is not an OT character to truly get behind anymore.  I want a Hermi Odle, Yarna, Tonnika Sisters, and even ICMG but they do not have broad appeal like a main character from a popular video game or comic book story that kids or teens have grown up with.

I was surprised at first but when you think about it this does make sense.  This is their chance to show Hasbro that they want to see those types of characters is made.  We should be happy really because now Hasbro can put more figures out there that will probably sell better than just background cantina and palace figures.  Yet still keep peppering those into the main line. 

I actually think you're spot on with this, Darth Broem.  The polls have always seemed geared towards a character that's never been made before.  So in that respect, the OT is really devoid of any bigtime characters to touch upon. 

The OT's core characters have been done ad nauseum.  I don't think that the average collector is going to vote for a Super Articulated version of a character they already have in this type of poll.  So then we get to secondary characters like the lesser bounty hunters, Imperials and Rebels with numerous lines, and iconic looking characters.  And almost all of them have been done, too.  So then we start getting to the third tier characters.  And when you get there I see the pack getting divided in a big way.  You get into which cult character do you want, or which Imperial does he think is worthy, or which cantina patron would she like to see.  The pack gets divided and it leads to something of a mess if things are left wide open.

We're in pretty much a similar scenario with the PT.  All of the core characters have been touched upon, but there's the matter of ultimate figures once again.  Not something that a mass of collectors/fans are going to get behind.  As for the secondary and background characters?  We've actually gotten a lot.  There are really only a couple of glaring absences, but apparently the mass of collectors don't think we need a BARC Trooper at this time.

So that brings us to the EU.  And there I think we've got some fertile territory for a lot of fans to get behind characters.  My gut is telling me that we're getting Vos for the Dark Horse fans and one of the KOTOR characters for the video game fans.  Because there are definitely a lot of comic fans out there, and I would say even more video game fans.  And when you factor in just how hot a video game KOTOR and it's sequel have been?  I think there might be some serious numbers of fans behind these characters.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2006, 10:50 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 7, 2006, 03:29 AM »

Why? Besides the McQuarrie Stormie (which you could still consider OT), all the winner's of the fan's choice in the past has been OT.

« Last Edit: July 7, 2006, 03:32 AM by MetalJedi »
I remember my dream now.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #372 on: July 7, 2006, 05:31 AM »
I'm pretty surprised that Yarna and Hermi didn't even get a sniff of the action.  Really goes to show you who spent the time to go vote in this poll.  Doesn't look like too many of the "older collector" type did (like we have around here), 'cause I'm sure most here would still like to get a few more of those cool background Cantina and Jabba's Palace aliens before the onslaught of EU begins.  Not that I'm vehemently opposed to EU, mind you, but I'd prefer the remaining OT (and even PT) figures get made first.  But perhaps Brian's on to something there, and suggesting that the EU message has been sent loud and clear to Hasbro, so it's unavoidable for them to keep dodging those characters any longer, but that they'll likely be sprinkling in plenty more of the regular movie figures that continue to be MIA.  I'd be fine with that, I suppose...

As for the EU figures, I'd prefer some of the more popular and long-standing ones, like a new/better Kyle and Mara, and Quinlan Vos, of course.  Sounds like the latter is already on tap though, based on that recent RS list, and I'd be surprised if Mara and Kyle are popular with the current younger gaming generation anymore.  So I'd guess it's gonna be that Bastilla chick (whatever her name is), and one of the Darths (preferably Nihilus).  We'll see.  Whoever they wind up being, I'm not overly excited for them all that much, but I'll take 'em anyway, as always.

Bummer for ICMG though...  :-\

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 7, 2006, 09:59 AM »
I'm kind of disappointed that it sounds like the OT characters didn't make a big showing, but I do see the point being made that so many characters from both the OT and PT have been made.  Don't get me wrong, there are several that we still want - and I'll take every last background alien they make from the Cantina/Jabba's Palace - or any OT character in general - but we really have seen a ton of characters over the years, several I would have never dreamed we would see.  I was really starting to hold out hope that ICMG had a chance, it will be interesting to see where he finishes.

With this info of big EU support, and that the #1 and #2 figures will both be made, I'm wondering if these might somehow fit into the new EU two packs that are rumored for next year.  They could make it a "Fan's Choice" pack with both characters, or maybe split them up in seperate ones.  Or, maybe I'm way off and they'll just be in the main line.  I'm not as familiar with some of the EU as others, but I'll agree with Matt - I'd sooner see some of the more popular and long-standing ones like Kyle, Mara, Vos, etc. get made first, the ones I actually know of.  Looking forward to the results next week.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #374 on: July 7, 2006, 10:53 AM »
Judging by Scums informal poll though, it looks like the Star Wars on-line contingent of the fandom didn't help EU win the poll

I'd say the voting was open to a larger audience than normal thanks to the magazine.  Collecting changed around the time of AOTC and then again at ROTS.  There are a lot more kids who were introduced to the Saga via the prequels and video games than there were a few years ago.  Also casual toy collectors outside of the usual boards (Spawn, Fwoosh TNI etc) that actually read ToyFare probably know more about the comics and video games than 2 second wonders seen in the OT

Its good to see who the OT figures were because that will probably mean they will get made in the next couple of years, the downside is that we'll have to wait to see them

I am also extremely interested to see how all of this EU stuff will sell.  Things like Gummi Adi and the Neimodian Pilot are just as obscure as Quinlan Vos or Mara Jade to casual Mom or Dad.  Why would they want to buy any EU figure?  Also as I said before, the Clone Wars stuff for the most part was pretty hit and miss, the first two waves were clearanced at Targets around here and you can still find the animated figures around in some stores.  That is with main character EU.  Why is secondary characters going to sell any better???