Author Topic: Fan's Choice Returns - 2006 ToyFare Poll  (Read 143740 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Fan's Choice Returns
« Reply #420 on: July 11, 2006, 07:38 AM »
I said it before and I will say it again.  Darth who?  Poll was rigged. 

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #421 on: July 11, 2006, 07:49 AM »
I'm disappointed as well that the honorable Willrow Hood didn't make it. As someone who pays zero attention to EU stuff, making someone like Darth Revan doesn't make me any more interested either. But for those who do like the EU, this is a good way to get their characters made albeit once in a bluemoon. ::)

Save the basic line for the real Star Wars characters.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #422 on: July 11, 2006, 08:22 AM »
I've seen lots more people saying they voted for Bastilla or Malak than they voted for Revan.  That is what smells overly fishy about the whole thing.  I believe Vos won, I really do and its a figure I can throw in the Mos Espa scene or something. 

I think we (the Star Wars collecting message board community) are totally discounting the rest of Star Wars fandom here.  KOTOR is not just one of the biggest Star Wars games ever, it's one of the most popular titles for video games in the past few years, period!  Factor in those video game fans.  Because when you do, those numbers dwarf the regulars who are posting in SW collecting boards.

A lot of ToyFare's readership is from that video game audience.  And a lot of the ToyFare readers are also general toy collectors.  I can see a fan of KOTOR going either for Malak or Revan.  Bastila turned into an ancillary character after a point.

I agree which is what I said yesterday, the problem I see in that is that casual toy buyer helped get Revan made, will casual toy buyer follow through and buy it?  I also find it hard to believe that casual toy buyer outnumbers or would care enough to vote in the poll.

I can believe Vos did win, I've seen plenty of support here, there and everywhere, I just have a hard time trying to believe 2nd place went to a character that I didn't see a whole lot of support for

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #423 on: July 11, 2006, 08:56 AM »
I can totally believe Vos winning. I don't ahve a problem with that. I have always been fro the EU figures and am very happy they are finally going to be made. With that said, I still find it hard to believe Yarna or Hermi didnt win.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 11, 2006, 09:15 AM »
I can believe Vos did win, I've seen plenty of support here, there and everywhere, I just have a hard time trying to believe 2nd place went to a character that I didn't see a whole lot of support for

This is exactly how I feel as well.  I'm not surprised at all that Vos won, but the Revan finishing 2nd (or, essentially, 1st) is more surprising.  I'll admit I have no idea who this character is, or who a number of the EU characters are, but I go by what people here say about them (who do know).  I'll agree with what Scott mentioned earlier, I just didn't see that much support for this particular EU character throughout the wait for the voting and results of this poll.  Malak, Bastila, obviously Vos, and others were mentioned a number of times - but I don't remember seeing much about Revan.  I don't mind seeing some EU in the line, just for a variety, as long as it isn't more prevalent than the movie figures.  The two packs could be a great idea, and a nice way to add in EU and maybe generate more interest in it from new collectors/kids.  That said, for all the complaints about "another Han, Luke, Vader", I think I'd be more excited if we had news of all new, "ultimate" super articulated figures of characters like Stormtrooper or Hoth Han, Stormtrooper or Jedi Luke, Mace Windu, Qui Gon, etc.  Granted, we will hopefully/likely see those eventually, but I think I'd personally be more excited about those figures than most of the EU stuff.  I don't have a problem with it getting made though, and I'm happy for fans of KOTOR that one of the main characters is getting made.  I might have to try and learn who it is now :).

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 11, 2006, 09:24 AM »
No. *******. Way.

Darth who? I wonder how many of Hasbro's target market for this particular figure have played/know much about KOTOR. Sure, he got the second most number of votes, but what percentage of the market do those votes represent?

I've seen KOTOR on the shelf, but never played it. I don't know the story, nor am I interested in this EU character. Even though I don't consider myself a movies-only kind of guy, I just don't support this choice, and I won't be buying it.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 11, 2006, 09:36 AM »
Glad to see the real news.  I just couldn't trust that piece of crap who posted in the TNI forums.

Vos is definitely a good choice.  He's really developed into a fan favorite through the Dark Horse comics.  So much so that he got mention in ROTS and was considered for an Order 66 killing.  I'm a little curious about the look Vos will have as a figure (Jedi robes or other costume).

Revan is a great choice as well.  KOTOR is such a huge game, and it makes sense for the main character to get the support of video game fans.  The sticking point of course is that as the main character, you can design Revan's look.  And with KOTOR, you can make Revan male or female, and there are about a dozen likenesses you can choose for Revan after you choose your player character's gender.  In that respect it makes sense for Hasbro to go with Revan's Sith look since it's the only consistent look for Revan over the course of the game.  

It's actually because of the flexible nature of Revan as a character that led me to vote for another KOTOR character....Darth Malak.  But overall I think this is a big victory for the EU.  It just seems that there aren't any PT or OT characters that fan's could really get behind uniformly, so they tossed their support behind EU characters.  And with the announcement of these figures, I hope that there could be a subline of KOTOR figures coming in the near future.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline ddschneider1972

• Youngling
  • Go Bucks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 11, 2006, 10:54 AM »
I am not sure about Revan...I heard too many people mention other figures, especially the other Darths (Nihilus, Bane, Malak)....I am thinking Darth Revan's middle initial is an "L"....watch, they'll make a removable helmet Darth Revan with the new Fan Club President's head!!!! After all Revan was a character that you could create in the game as male/female and give it any look you choose...they may choose the look of a smug A-hole!
"Modern Collectors are just Walmart Shoppers" -The new SW "Fan Club" President

They are right, everything is big in Texas, even the defeats...The Buckeyes are (still) #1!!!!!!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 11, 2006, 11:12 AM »
I'm pretty glad Vos is being made, now I don't have to try and make a custom of him for Famine.   ;)

Really though this is a great selection I think, but I think it's crazy he hasn't been made yet.  He should have been in the Clone Wars line I think.  But a couple years have passed so now the quality will hopefully be better than a couple years ago.

On the Revan, I'm surprised but am looking forward to it.

:)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 11, 2006, 11:12 AM »
REVAN WINS!!!!
Sweet! I voted for Malak, but another KOTOR character is welcome too.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 11, 2006, 11:15 AM »
I'll plunk down for both Vos and Revan.  I've failed at customizing Vos three or four times, and KOTOR kicked my ass, so I'm happy about Revan.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 11, 2006, 12:39 PM »
The best example I can offer is a lot of kids who buy from a friend of mine were pretty hot for Scorch when he came out, and he hooked them up as long as they opened it right there and proved they were going to play with the toy, which is, of course, what it's meant for. (Shocking to some, I'm sure...)

Granted, kids dig clones, but as my friends kids will attest, Jedi and Sith are equally play-worthy. Hell, my nephew runs around with the Jedi figures in his hand like it's the handle of his own saber, making swooshing sounds the whole time.

Yeah, I see your point, but I'm still not confident of the sales.  Scorch was a clone, as you point out, and that seals the deal right there.  Darth Revan?  Might be cool looking, as you say, a lightsaber might clinch the deal.  Call me a cynic, but I'll wait and see. 

I'm just not buying the accuracy of certain announced events yesterday.  I'm fine with EU winning, as many pointed out the stuff is popular.  What I don't buy is a total domination by the EU side of things.  And no, I'm not talking about how I think ICMG should have won.  I'm talking about Yarna and the more common movie characters (common being loosely applied here). 

As Nicklab said, great, this huge base of gamers voted for EU stuff.  Are those what even Hasbro considers as the core collecting market?  I doubt it, they aren't buying the crappy little Yoda rehashes at every turn.  They probably aren't even buying all the types of clones.  Having a figure poll decided by gamers?  Oops, that might backfire on ya. 

Besides, since Star Wars won't be hot next year, the figures should be plentiful and the scalpers should move back to Sports and Hot Wheels, right?
That all depends on what Hasbro does with it's items.  If they bring back UGH stuff, then no, they won't move on at all and that would be unfortunate.  What's really sad is they haven't looked at the end result of McFarlane's sportspick chase figures.  Yeah, there was tremendous buzz for a while, but now guys won't buy regulars until they go on clearance, an early death knell for  the line if there ever was one. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 11, 2006, 12:42 PM »
I DID do my research throughout this contest ..I visited at least 5 sites and lurked about in the discussions for the FF should be. I noted that most sites (3) picked Voss(which wasn't surprising to me) but there seemed to be a certain gap between OT and EU with OT being in front overall. Certainly Revan was in the bottom percentile of discussion(I think he was mentioned once or twice elsewhere, didn't notice him mentioned here). I would be curious to know how many polls are being done out there right now to ask folks at their websites how they felt about the FF pick. We could do one here? Ask 1. Satisfied with the winner and will buy, 2. Not satisfied with the winner, but will buy 3. Not satisfied with the winner, will NOT buy, 4. Satisfied with the winner but will not buy....ect.

Certainly would be curious to see those results..with votes by username only counted once ::).

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 11, 2006, 12:55 PM »
Well I wouldn't be surprised if it was rigged either.   ::)  All the more reason why I think the fan polls are just stupid.  It seems if a figure comes in third place, they are considered a loser and aren't even made.  Just make the damn figures Hasbro... but if you're gonna do a poll, do it on a big new vehicle or big new playset so we finally get one made!

As for Vos and Revan, if it is accurate, I'm not surprised with Vos at all.  Revan - yeah a bit.  But at least both are interesting characters.  While I'd still buy Yarna and ICMG, Vos and Revan area lot more intersting to me.

:)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #434 on: July 11, 2006, 01:02 PM »
Historically though, losers in the FC are made, I'd like to see the ranking 1-25 and see where the OT figures fell