Author Topic: Fan's Choice Returns - 2006 ToyFare Poll  (Read 143757 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Fan's Choice Returns
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2006, 03:56 PM »
Jeff, you can also mix in figures in assorted dioramas though, there's nothing wrong with maybe throwing Karrde into an Outlander Club diorama or something. 

Yeah, you could just stick "Darth Revan" in an Outlander Club diorama or something, I know that. 

My point was that I prefer to get things in groups - I'd rather see a whole wave of NJO Jedi or a whole wave of KOTOR figures that I can display together rather than getting a one-off figure that I have to just stick in someplace because he doesn't really fit in anywhere else.

For example, Scorch is a good figure.  I have no problem that they made him.  But, I would have rather had a wave of Republic Commando figures or a box set of all 4 figures rather than buying the solo Scorch now and waiting for he rest of his squad.  I mean, he looks fine in my Arena scene, but he'd look ever better posed with the rest of his squad.  ;)

Same goes for a number of these figures in this poll... another example:

Why waste a pick on Jaina Solo if we don't know for sure that we'd ever get Jacen and Anakin to go with her?  I could just stick her in my Arena (if she's a Jedi) or my Rogue Squadron (if they do the pilot version), but I'd much rather have the rest of the NJO figures to display with her.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2006, 04:00 PM »
That makes sense Jeff.  Thanks for the explanation.  I'd like to see full waves of them too.  Really I think the whole Fans Choice thing is pretty silly though.  Just make the darn figures.  Keep the theme waves going, and every now and then throw out a wave of EU figures.  Those that don't want them can pass.

:P

Offline Dhivael

• Youngling
  • Dark Lord of the Sith
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2006, 05:04 PM »
Im rather excited by some of the options, my favorties include:
2. Bastila Shan
3. Clone Commander (Galactic Marine pictured)
18. Mara Jade Skywalker
21. Padme Amidala (AOTC black dress)

the one thing that confuses me is why figures that are supposed to be released as exclusives this year are  on this finals list?
-Dhivael

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2006, 06:35 PM »
I beg to differ Jeff, Scorch is not a good figure. ;)  I'm still fuming over the lameass articulation on his legs.  So close yet so far.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2006, 08:16 PM »
I beg to differ Jeff, Scorch is not a good figure. ;)  I'm still fuming over the lameass articulation on his legs.  So close yet so far.

That's the problem with JD, no love, so harsh, just all around cranky.  I'd rate it a 9.4-9.6, at least.

I think there's some interesting stuff on the list and I'm not nearly so anti-EU, but I think Jeff makes some great points.  I'd also like to see the fans do to Hasbro what Hasbro has done to us so often - stick it to 'em. 

We get tons of figures so close, yet so far.  We get more than enough POS figures as well and rehashes that could be really nice if done properly, but seldom are. 

No, I'd like to really mess with them and make a figure that most casual collectors wouldn't really want made.  I like the ICMG figure idea for lots of reasons:
- the petition was started by a friend of mine
- the petition has a considerable number of signatories considering the utter irrelevance of the character
- the figure won't be made any other way - a pile of those figures will get made otherwise, Hasbro has the license until 2018 or some nonsense like that (I think as they milk the license they'll do exactly what Jeff would like to see), Quinlan Vos, Padme galore, any and all of the clones, Yarna, etc. will all be done
- my vote would go to Mara Jade were it not for Willrow, but wait, I actually already have a Mara figure I like :-X

- most importantly Hasbro would get the shaft by making the next version of Lobot, stuck on the pegs for quite some time. 

Now I don't happen to think there's any honesty or integrity in this process at all, so poor Willrow will never see the light of day.  This thing will be as fixed as fixed can be, so something with Darth or Clone will be in the title of the eventual winner ::)

I have no problem that they made him.  But, I would have rather had a wave of Republic Commando figures or a box set of all 4 figures rather than buying the solo Scorch now and waiting for he rest of his squad.  I mean, he looks fine in my Arena scene, but he'd look ever better posed with the rest of his squad.

Can you smeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllll the EE exclusive? :-X  You know it's coming.  Be here by Christmas.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2006, 09:48 PM »
I'd rate it a 9.4-9.6, at least.

There's times this has made me want to just thud my head off a wall. :)

I agree about Jeff's point on EU and doing "one" here and maybe never another...  If you display like Jeff that's a solid reason for not liking those random EU figures.  Snowbi-Wan's a prime example as that figure really stands out as an oddball on the shelf.  Same with training Maul too (either of them).

I'm all for EU waves really but I'm not a big EU detractor.  I like most of it...  I think the McTrooper would look a lot better with other Concepts like Vader, and I'd love a Chewbacca at some point in that style.  Hell that's one I'd buy a couple of.

But like KOTOR is a good example of, if you don't have a number of figures from it then it displays poorly.  Especially the Sith.  It'd be a much cooler group of EU figures if there were a number of them.  The Solos Jeff pointed out are a good example too as it sucks if you only had Jaina and not Jacen or (to a lesser extent) Anakin Solo... 

Troopers I think are the only EU that "fit" better...  The black Stormtrooper, the Shadowtrooper Clone...  Those seem to fit better into just any old set up.

From a customizing standpoint I'm ok with most anything new, but from my collecting standpoint I loathe getting one here and there from various sources instead of doing waves.  I think the line has life enough to support waves of EU, but Hasbro fears any level of risk and they eat out of my butt.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2006, 01:50 AM »
Voted for Quinlan Vos.  ;D

Me too. As I will continue to vote in the top 25.

-DD
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 02:00 AM by Darth Delicious »
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2006, 09:49 AM »
Ultimately I think we would all be more satisfied if the waves were more consistent as far as the EU. Obviously a whole EU wave wouldn't sell but, as someone suggested, they could commit to tossing in an EU figure where it fit (much like Scorch, sort of). If instead of making the themes around certain battles but planets of significance they could do 5 Canon and one EU (or whatever) every wave. And they could toss in PT character also. Think about it, Mara Jade, Quigonn and Darth Maul could have all been in a Tatooine wave, Coruscant could have had just about every one from the PT to the EU (we could get all of the solo kids, it would have to be multiple waves). Yavin could have Kyp Durron, Exar Kun, Biggs Darklighter, Crix Madine, Jedi Master Luke, etc. etc. It's a pipe dream I know, but it would be nice.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2006, 12:13 PM »
Bottom line is we'll get screwed with whoever wins. Not enough of these were annotated as SA-so we'll probably get it, but then it will be limited art. like sora :(.

I agree- we should have made Hasblow have to work harder and annotated SA in front of everything. The way it is now, they're not necessarily inclined to do it.

I feel it's dumb that there's so many figs in the 25 that are HIGHLY likely to be released anyway in the coming years as Hasbro starts running out of SW ideas. We should be voting for/submitting ballots for characters that were NOT likely to be made. Some folks, however want it now. I really would like a Quinlan Vos but I feel it's a really popular character that was due to be made anyway eventually- and I CAN wait. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2006, 06:34 PM »
1. Anakin Solo
2. Bastila Shan
3. Clone Commander (Galactic Marine pictured)
4. Commander Neyo
5. Corran Horn
6. Darth Malak
7. Darth Maul (Why?!?)
8. Darth Nihilus
9. Darth Revan
10. Exar Kun
11. Hermi Odle
12. HK-47
13. Jacen Solo
14. Jaina Solo
15. Kir Kanos
16. Kyle Katarn (Jedi)
17. Luke Skywalker (ROTJ)
18. Mara Jade Skywalker
19. Nom Anor
20. Padme Amidala (snowsuit)
21. Padme Amidala (AOTC black dress)
22. Padme Amidala (ROTS funeral)
23. Quinlan Vos (who woulda thunk it?)
24. Willrow Hood (Ice Cream Maker Man)
25. Yarna D'al Gargan (6-breasted dancer)

I'd like ... a figure that most casual collectors wouldn't really want made.

Tough call here.  I like the idea of ICMG as the Fan Choice for the reason of obscurity - this is basically the only way a character like this would get released.  On the other hand, despite having little interest in most EU, Quinlan Vos was one of the most compelling characters in recent years, including the prequels.  Perhaps he would get made anyway, but seeing him specifically as a Fan Choice figure somehow makes it more impressive or important to me.

Like I said, tough call.  My reasons for voting for each character are completely different.  I'll be thinking this one over for a while.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2006, 07:35 PM »
Kevin do you have a Quinlan Vos custom yet?  I might be making another one, if so then you'll be first on my list if you want this one -

:P

I will love you forever if I can buy that.

You hear me?

Forever.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2006, 08:33 PM »
I agree with JesseVader that seeing Vos with that "Fan's Choice" figure is fitting somehow.

What I don't get is the love for the ICMG, Willrow Hood. He's just some guy running through the background, he isn't even vuisually interesting. I think there's something about that Ice Cream machine that makes everyone fixated on him. Would you want him if he DIDN'T have an ice cream machine? Why not just make an ice cream machine in a Bespin Accessory Pack?   ;)

I certainly wouldn't want to see him before Hermi Odle or even Yarna. Hell, I don't want to see him made before Cantina Barmaid Bea Arthur.  ;D

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2006, 08:39 PM »
I view it as more a symbolic thing, really--an exercise in rallying the fan community around a completely useless character, to see if we can pressure Hasbro to make it "just because" (a.k.a. "Well ... why not?" 8)).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 08:48 PM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2006, 12:43 PM »
Well, that's one vote for ICMG.   ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender