Author Topic: Fan's Choice Returns - 2006 ToyFare Poll  (Read 143725 times)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Re: Fan's Choice Returns
« Reply #495 on: August 4, 2006, 07:46 AM »
I'd like to see the ranking 1-25 and see where the OT figures fell

Here ya go ;)  I was checking something else out on the official site and the was on the front page in the Blogs.......

1. Quinlan Vos* (11.4%)
2. Darth Revan* (8.1%)
3. Yarna D'al Gargan (6.7%)
4. Darth Nihilus (6.6%)
5. Bastila Shan (6.5%)
6. Clone Commander (5.7%)
7. HK-47 (5%)
8. Willrow Hood (5%)
9. Hermi Odle (4.3%)
10. Mara Jade Skywalker* (4%)
11. Commander Neyo (3%)
12. Darth Malak (3%)
13. Padme Amidala (Funeral) (3%)
14. Corran Horn (2.8%)
15. Luke Skywalker (2.6%)
16. Padme Amidala (Clone Wars) (2.6%)
17. Kyle Katarn (2.2%)
18. Exar Kun (2%)
19. Padme Amidala II (black dinner dress) (2%)
20. Nom Anor (2%)
21. Kir Kanos* (1.5%)
22. Darth Maul (1.4%)
23. Jaina Solo (1.3%)
24. Anakin Solo (.8%)
25. Jacen Solo (.8%)

* Figure is being made.

Toy Fair Article
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 11:08 PM by Scott »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #496 on: August 4, 2006, 09:58 AM »
Wow, very cool to see some numbers there.

Good old ICMG came in 8th?   :-\

Yarna was 3rd!   :o

So, if Kir Kanos (#21) and Mara Jade (#10) can get figures in 2007, then why the hell can't the #3 and #8 choices get figures?   >:(
« Last Edit: August 4, 2006, 10:12 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 4, 2006, 12:33 PM »
Who the hell is Darth Nihilus? ???

ICMG was 8th and Yarna was 3rd? That's great news to me, but after Hasbro's "joke", I have a feeling that when they make the Top 10 figures, they'll replace Yarna and ICMG with Maul and Luke. ::)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #498 on: August 4, 2006, 02:39 PM »
Who the hell is Darth Nihilus? ???

Tell me about it.  There are around 5 names in the list that I no clue what they were so I did some googleing.  Turns out him and a few others are video game characters, how sad. :-\
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 4, 2006, 04:13 PM »

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 4, 2006, 06:08 PM »
Turns out him and a few others are video game characters, how sad. :-\

What's sad is that people voted more for dead Padme than a living Padme.  ???
I remember my dream now.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #501 on: August 4, 2006, 07:10 PM »
I am very surpirsed they released these numbers. I can't believe Yarna was so close to being made. I hope that this poll meant soemthing and that she is on eof the 10 who get made.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #502 on: August 4, 2006, 07:16 PM »
Couple of gripes here...

Is anyone else irritated that characters that were already slated for production were left on the lists to be voted on? It just seems to me like the outcome would have been significantly different had people not been throwing their votes to a figure that's already on it's way. I can't help but wonder where that 15% would have gone.

Perhaps I'm miscounting, but it looks like 30% of the total votes were cast for videogame characters... I'm still blown away by that.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 5, 2006, 02:23 PM »
I'm glad to see the numbers released.  Especially in light of claims from around the collecting community that there was some measure of manipulation of the poll by hacking or some other dubious influence.

I do have mixed feelings about the characters who were left on the list that were set to be produced.  The only reasonable thing that I can come up with is this:  the characters who were set to be produced had probably not been finalized by the time that ToyFare went to press with the Top 25. 

From talking with people at Hasbro at various cons, it seems that some things in their line can change due to varying curcumstances.  Then factor in ToyFare's print deadlines and their own constraints in preparing for the poll.  I think that may account for why four candidates (Vos, Mara Jade, Clone Commander aka Galactic Marine and Kir Kanos) were left on the ballot. 

Plus, I think you've got to account for Hasbro being in something of a precarious situation with ToyFare.  They may not want to leak info about figures that are in the pipeline to ToyFare because it may be tantamount to an official announcement.  So hypothetically, say Hasbro tells ToyFare in March that "Oh, you can eliminate the Clone Commander/Galactic Marine from the poll since we have him slated for next January".  But then what if something happens and the Galactic Marine gets pushed back?  Say there's a problem with the tooling and they're going to eliminate the figure from that wave and put it in a Battle Pack in Q3 of '07.  It seems like Hasbro likes to have all of their ducks in a row business wise before they make these kinds of announcements, and that could have been at play in this instance.  Lord knows that while they've got a loyal customer base, that clientele is equally critical, so I can appreciate some caution on Hasbro's part.

As for the KOTOR figures making a strong showing?  I'm not really surprised.  I knew that the video game industry was huge.  So I did a little searching around the 'net and found THIS ARTICLE.  It's a report on the earnings of the 2nd biggest video game publisher in the US, Activision.  Their projected earnings for the current fiscal year?  $1.1 billion.  And that's just one company.  EA, another of the major game producers had quarterly earnings of nearly $200 million.  These are just the game producers, and not the companies that are making the hardware.  But the numbers themselves are truly staggering, and with that in mind it gives me a better understanding of why the KOTOR characters polled as well as they did.  The video game industry is just a monster!
« Last Edit: August 5, 2006, 02:24 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 5, 2006, 02:45 PM »
Well I am excited to see how well Yarna did actually.  Willrow actually did fairly well.  It was kind of humorous to see how close the voting was really.  I mean the winner only got 11% of the vote.  Interesting stuff.  I don't really know if that is good or bad though? 

You got one camp that hates the OT background characters and saying nobody should be interested in them.  Yet they did as well as all the supposed clamoring for EU figures did if not better.  And vice versa of course. 

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 5, 2006, 02:49 PM »
Wow, very cool to see some numbers there.

Good old ICMG came in 8th?   :-\

Yarna was 3rd!   :o

So, if Kir Kanos (#21) and Mara Jade (#10) can get figures in 2007, then why the hell can't the #3 and #8 choices get figures?   >:(
Kir Kanos was already planned last year/early this year. I think Hasbro must of thought that it was time for another Jade since she's an important EU character.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline jediraven82

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 5, 2006, 08:29 PM »
I'm surprised Darth Maul didn't finish last.  Hell, I'm more surprised he even tallied votes.

Did Hasbro say they were making the top 10 on the list? 

As for Darth Nihilus, he looks cool but he was basically the only lame thing in either Knights of the Old Republic games.  He wasn't written into the second game well.  I'm disappointed he finished with more votes than Darth Malak.  Malak is a much better villain.  I recommend picking up the games.  They've been out for Xbox and PC for awhile now so you can get them cheap.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 6, 2006, 01:35 AM »

Did Hasbro say they were making the top 10 on the list? 

At Comic Con Hasbro said that they would be making 10 of the top 25.  But they wouldn't specify all of the ones that were set to be produced.  I think that at this time we know 5 of the ten...

Quinlan Vos
Darth Revan
Battlefront II Clone Commander (Galactic Marine)
Mara Jade
Kir Kanos

IIRC, Kir Kanos was actually pretty low in the poll rankings, so that would rule out Hasbro going with the top 10.  But the one stat that puzzles me?  Dead Padme ranking so high.  I don't know why, but I just get utterly repulsed by the idea of a figure of a dead person.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #508 on: August 6, 2006, 02:37 AM »
I put the three that I REALLY want in bold...

1. Quinlan Vos
2. Darth Revan
3. Yarna D'al Gargan
4. Darth Nihilus
5. Bastila Shan
6. Clone Commander
7. HK-47
8. Willrow Hood
9. Hermi Odle

10. Mara Jade Skywalker
11. Commander Neyo
12. Darth Malak
13. Padme Amidala (Funeral)
14. Corran Horn
15. Luke Skywalker
16. Padme Amidala (Clone Wars)
17. Kyle Katarn
18. Exar Kun
19. Padme Amidala II (black dinner dress)
20. Nom Anor
21. Kir Kanos
22. Darth Maul
23. Jaina Solo
24. Anakin Solo
25. Jacen Solo

Keep in mind that Hasbro said they WERE going to make ICMG.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 6, 2006, 04:34 PM »
Indulge the bitter old purist for a second...  as I said at RS, I can't believe only 4 of the 25 are from the OT.  Just a few years ago, all 25 would have been from the OT.  Does it hurt me that EU figs are produced?  No, not really, but it can be looked at as that many more OT figs that would have been produced instead.  Well, if it keeps the line going, that's fine with me.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke