Author Topic: CommanderKorbra's Customs - Making sure the topic isn't gone...  (Read 63797 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Sounds like a fun day of trial and error.  Hopefully when its all said and done you can post some "lessons learned" for all the newbie mold makers.

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
Yes, That's why I'm sort of making notes and taking pics as I go along. Hopefully I'll have enough stuff at the end of day 3 where I can post a good amount of stuff I learned. Not necisarily (wtf, sp?) a toturial because I'm far from a master, but maybe some little things to help newbies like I was (and still am lol).

Right now I'm waiting on the 1st half of a two part mold to dry and the 1st part of a 1 part mold to dry. I didn't make enough the first time so its gotta dry before I make some more and pour it in.

As for what I've got so far - Enough parts to make the top half of a female mandalorian. They have some sculpey in some places where I made a newbie caster mistake and got some air bubbles. Also they dont have holes where the joints will go yet. And I've got some parts for a second female mandalorian. Also have some casted heads and necks and one mando helmet. Good so far I guess :) Liking all the experiance I'm getting.

EDIT: Finished up my second 2 part mold and my 6th, 7th, and 8th 1 peice molds. I think All of them turned out okay but by time they are dry I'll be fast asleep so they'll be sitting overnight.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 10:25 PM by CommanderKorbra »
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
DAY 3 :)

Well I woke up and tried to pry apart my 2 part mold and it wasnt easy. I think the vaseline dried overnight or something because I know I put a ton of that stuff in the mold. Still works fine though.

As for the 1 peice molds - well they ended up being too thick. I dunno whats worse, having a good strong mold where you can't get the part out because its so thick or having a really weak mold that you could tear to shreds any second.  ??? Oh well.

My plans for today: cast the legs a few times and maybe try to get a good solid cast of the torso. Also cast the hands a few times since all the hands ive made so far didnt have any fingers.

Oh and kind of like the random update on page 12 about random stuff - I'm going to North Carolina next week to our cabin so I'll maybe be able to work on some customs while we're up there but maybe not. One thing I know is the area used to have a good hobby store. Although now that I think about it, I think it closed down. Whatever. They still havea  good walmart that was packed at last years black thursday lol. And what was the other thing I was goign to say... (sorry I just got up :p) Oh yea check out RS everyone is telling this b0bafett77 character that he'll be as good as Ricky UK in a few years and that he's goign to be a customizing legend. Heh, he's already a legend but not in the good way haha.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 08:03 AM by CommanderKorbra »
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
DAY 3 :)

As for the 1 peice molds - well they ended up being too thick. I dunno whats worse, having a good strong mold where you can't get the part out because its so thick or having a really weak mold that you could tear to shreds any second.  ??? Oh well.

You can use a razor and cut the 1 piece mold to all for demolding.  I've done this here:

that allows me to demold a piece like this:

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
I'm sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean to cut the mold all up once you've used it one time? So that you cna't use it again?

Just casted the legs and they came out perfect! (well to my standards anyways) so I'm really happy. One of the hands I casted screwed up again but the other one was perfect too. Even had all 5 fingers  :P The clone head had a little air bubble in the back but nobody should ever see that so its fine too. YAY. Oh and I mixed up the perfect amount. Think I'm getting the hang of things finally.

EDIT: Think I jinxed myself. Made a tad too much again. I was able to use most of what I made but some things - namely the hands messed up again. But I did get it in the female mando torso and I think it worked fine. So all sucessfull except the hands and made alittle too much.(I'm reassuring myself lol)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 01:50 PM by CommanderKorbra »
-CHEWIE

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
First ever two part mold:

Second two part mold and what came out of it:

I took more pics but they turned out blurry. Oh well.
-CHEWIE

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
I think I might have to get into casting now... :-\

Anways, your clone piot boots casts turned out pretty well...it'll be interesting to see what else you're gonna do!
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
incredibly well done! I'm way too scared to try my hand in making molds! What an endeavour! It just makes me think about jango legs. If ever I did go into casting, I would modify a pair of VOTC boba legs to make them like jango's and make casts, heck I'd make VOTC boba fett casts :P

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
Thanks guys. At the moment I'm kinda tinkering around with the first compltel cast and seeing how I'm going to put all the parts together. This first one wont have that great of articulation yet Since I don't really have the hang of making all the joints fit yet. But its only the first version so... yea.

I'll try to get this first one painted and maybe the second one put together in NC
-CHEWIE

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
Incredible work so far CK. I'm anxious to see where youre going with this. I like the clear yellow color.  ;D

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
Thank you Ennis :) The first casted mando wont have hardly any articulation because I couldn't get it to work right >:( The second one will have mostly wivel joints but maybe a few ball joined borrowed form a g.i.joe :) So expect:

1 in the squad is all original parts and it's going to be the yellow female mando from insider. This is the one you've all seen pics of already.
2 is going to be all casted parts except for the head and is going to be an original color scheme. low articulation.
3 is going to be like 2 except a different scheme and hopefully better articulation
And finally 4 is going to be the best of the casted ones and is most likely going to be the red female mando from insider. Will borrow G.I.joe parts for this one .

;D
And maybe more after that of course, but this is all I hope to get before I run out of materials for casting. Perhaps a few casts to sell here and there and maybe enough parts to make a custom and sell it on ebay to get some money back for new supplies. Pretty sure yall will like the squad when they're done...

Oh and I finished a BF2 Clone Sharpshooter today but didn't get pics before it got dark. Pics in the morning.
-CHEWIE

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
501st Sharpshooter

EDIT: 2 of the pics don't work anymore :(
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 04:33 PM by CommanderKorbra »
-CHEWIE

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
CK,  on the mold, You should try and make a locking piece on each corner.
If one is lined up, there is nothing to stop the top half of the mold from swiveling
and messing up the lower leg pieces.
If there are multiple locking holes, there is less chance it wil move.

Your clone looks cool. i would give him the same markings as the 501st clones though.
Other than that, cool concept.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 09:28 PM by Glassman6 »

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
Acually the one locking device seems to be working fine at the moment and since I don't have a ton of money to spare I'm saving material anywhere I can. but I do see where you are coming from. I'll make 2 locking devices in the next mold. As for the 501st markings, this clone is based on the Clone Sharpshooter in Battlefront 2 so I just kept the markings they gave him in the game. A Parjai with the regular 501st markings might be cool though. Thanks for the comments ;D

Everyone I'm going to NC for a week. I'll be working on the female mandos while I'm up there and I'll still be able to post on JD and RS but I'm not going to be able to upload pics opn the laptop. So expect a little update when I get back.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 09:51 PM by CommanderKorbra »
-CHEWIE

Offline VF/501

• Youngling
  • From the water we're born, and in the fire we die
    • View Profile
Great job on casting the parts,  as for my ball joint project, it is going to have to wait until I get silicone or RTV rubber the laytex is hell to work with (takes way to long for a two part mold).

As for the Parjai helmet, make a blank cast, sand it smooth then remold it to get rid of the chunky sections,  I am doing this for my sculpt currently as I am not able to make mine as smooth or even as Glassman.  Anyways, great work and your fem-mando should look great.
Palpatine:Lord Vader
Vader:Master, my suit chafes
Palps:Do you use Darkside
Vader:Yes master
Palps:In time you will learn the true power of the darkside
Vader:Which is
To stop chafing in clothes