Author Topic: Top 25 Worst Sequels Ever Made  (Read 10288 times)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Top 25 Worst Sequels Ever Made
« on: March 20, 2006, 03:16 PM »
The 25 Worst Sequels Ever Made - http://www.ew.com/ew/onlyonaol/report/0,17129,1169126_21||525488_0_,00.html

Entertainment Weekly names the best of the nearly unwatchable movie sequels. We dredged the bottom of the sequel swamp to bring you this list by Chris Nashawaty:

12. Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace 1999

Is there any doubt that Jake (Yippeeee!) Lloyd will be remembered as the intergalactic Jonathan Lipnicki? The dread kicks in during the opening scroll with its eye-glazing backstory about Trade Federations and taxation routes. We didn't wait 20 years for a lecture on supply-side economics! Right off the bat, Liam Neeson saves the life of Gungan minstrel Jar Jar Binks and it all goes to hell from there.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 03:17 PM by tamidala »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Top 25 Worst Sequels Ever Made
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 01:32 AM »
I have to disagree with EW on this one. Now that the PT is complete, I actually think TPM is the tightest of the three.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 01:45 PM »
Well, The Phantom Menace is my least favorite of the six movies, but I don't think it was altogether bad certainly. Overall I think of it as a "good" movie in a "great" series, if that makes sense.

Qui-gon's charachter added a lot to the movie, and the movie also sported Ewan McGregor's first performance as Obi Wan, which has always been (to my thinking) very appropriate and well-done. Yoda, while looking a bit weird and inconsistant with other movies, was overall well done, as was Mace Windu's cryptic role.

Anakin is a mixed bag really. The kid seems overenthusiastic, but on the other hand he probably would be in these situations. I don't think the little actor was bad for the part at all, as he does pretty good with the bulk of what the part has him do and pretty well in his one threatening moment (his little "I'm a person" speech). However his lines were often a bit cheesy, with things like the reference, "let's try spinning, that's a good trick!" (although it gives me this great image in ANH of Vader sitting in his cockpit grumbling, "Let's not try spinning, that's a crappy trick")

Yes, JarJar is the real Menace of the movie, but there's good stuff to be had if you can look past him. Not that the other gungans really helped that much either, but still...

Palpatine was awesome in this movie, as well. Very slimy, but not overdone at all. I have to cringe a bit when he slaps Ani on the back and says "We'll watch your career with great interest" and a smirk on his face!

Padme wasn't bad either, and she comes off a good mixture of angry but not 100% confident of her abilities.

The politics were a bit stodgy and tended to make the entire plotline of Naboo vs. the Trade Federation a little more boring than it should've been, but the politics have their good moments too, especially where Palpatine is concerned. The more you know about him when you watch this movie, the more you shake your head as he subtlely uses everyone and everything at his disposal.

So it's not really a bad movie, just nothing to get as worked up about as the others to me. But it certainly has it's strengths to back up it's weaknesses.

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 04:22 PM »
I kind of look past the stupid crap and look on the side that is story telling.
The phantom menace is my least favorite, I meen jeez...Jar-Jar?
I first saw this and thought...is this a joke?  >:(
Then I saw clones!  ;D
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 08:41 PM »
Well, all in all, I like the Prequel Trilogy A LOT MORE than the Original Trilogy, so whoever put TPM on that "Worst Sequels list" can, well, I guess he/she can do a lot of things, but I'd like that person to take TPM off of that list.

And then jump off of a bridge. Or fall off of the Empire State Building, like King Kong.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2006, 09:23 AM »
I actually cancelled my EW subscription because of the weekly out-of-nowhere Lucas/Star Wars bashing.  Those greedy jerks have no problem slapping four different Star ars covers on their rag of a magazine since they know there are a lot of people who will buy all four, yet they felt compelled to stand on their high horse week after week and tell us Star Wars sucks.

Whatever.

Is TPM the greatest movie of all time?  No, but IMO it is a pretty good addition to the saga and NOT the worst film in the saga.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 01:12 AM »
TPM is not a sequel but a prequel, so you can't say that it is a sequel. ROCKY V should have been on the list instead of TPM.

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 11:02 AM »
what a bunch of whoy, TPM is a great film when compared to half of what is considered by the masses to be "Great". for instance i diden't see pirates 2 but i read the spoilers and my god it sounds retarded and it made all that friggin money. and is considered great because guys are being forced into taking their girls to drool over those guys apparently over and over again. pretty sad, i mean titanics the same story, and return of the king had the two towers before it.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 11:47 AM »
I like TPM way more than AOTC, Jar Jar is annoying but he's less annoying the ewoks.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 05:48 PM »
Ehhhh...I doubt it. I'll take Wicket over slurred incomprehensible speech anyday.

TPM was a better graphic novel than movie, and I don't think they were ranking these from a Fan standpoint, so I've got to agree.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 10:06 AM »
I like TPM way more than AOTC, Jar Jar is annoying but he's less annoying the ewoks.

And what do the ewoks have to do with TPM or AOTC?

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm not just a member, I'm also the owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 12:47 PM »
The Padme, pouty Ani exchanges bugged me more than Jar Jar.  I just skip over the the whole Naboo love nest crap because it is so cheesy and not in a good way.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 09:59 PM »

And what do the ewoks have to do with TPM or AOTC?
people say Jar Jar is annoying, IMO ewoks are more annoying than Jar Jar.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 09:54 AM »
Jar Jar is annoying but he's less annoying the ewoks.

Are you saying that Jar Jar's annoying factor is reduced when he is annoying the Ewoks? ???  As much as the Ewoks annoy me, I would like them better if they were to smash Jar Jar's head between two logs..........
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 12:07 PM »
 >:(