Author Topic: Thunderstorms and a Camera/Camcorder  (Read 6963 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Thunderstorms and a Camera/Camcorder
« on: May 10, 2003, 07:07 PM »
There was an awesome storm that swept through the Chicago area on 5/8/03 (and also on 5/9), and I was able to get some cool pictures using my digital video camcorder.

http://www.chrisrhoads.com/lightning_050803.htm

Does anyone here ever try videotaping or picture-taking of thunderstorms?  Anyone here have some awesome pictures to share with us?
dustrho

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Thunderstorms and a Camera/Camcorder
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 09:53 PM »
Lightning is just one of the coolest things in nature.  Love watching it!  Those are some great pictures there Chris!  Keep up the excellent photography...   8)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 12:59 AM »
I thought I would bump up this thread since there have been so many storms lately.  Anyone here have any good storm pics to share with us all?
dustrho

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 02:20 AM »
Chris,I'm a weather freak,and that right there was a supercell thunderstorm right?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 09:51 AM »
Sorry, I did have some a friend sent to me yesterday but I deleted them.  They may be in this link somewhere though www.pantagraph.com They were not kidding about T-storm after T-storm rolling over our town.  I think the T-storms lasted from 5:00pm to 1am nonstop.  It was insane.  We have tons of water, flooding in the area.  Nothing like out East but for this area it's quite a bit.  

On Tuesday it was tornadoes in the area.  Not a nice week weatherwise here.  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 09:54 AM by Darth Broem »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 09:55 AM »
Chris,I'm a weather freak,and that right there was a supercell thunderstorm right?

Yes sir it was.  It was one of the best storms I cought on videotape.  I just videotaped some of the recent storms, but I still have to transfer the video to my computer.  Once I do that I'll share more pics for everyone.
dustrho

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 09:57 AM »
Darth Broem, that was an awesome lightning bolt on the main page of Pantagraph.com.  Storms are great, aren't they?   8)
dustrho

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 10:34 AM »
My sister actually has a video of the tornado that hit her house and what happened with her family.  They just got the video camera and Bob was outside doing some video of this weird cloud formation (and just to point out Gladstone is surrounded by a bluff and lake Michigan so we have NEVER had a tornado nor should we be likely to have one do to our position..or so we were always told).
Anyways...all of a sudden he comes running in the house yelling to my sister to get the three boys and get in the basement.  Jeanne was like "right Bob, a tornado..." but he was adamant so as the rain starting hitting the windows she bustled the kids down stairs.  Now Bob forgot to turn the camera off so he's moving around with it still on (he's carrying it down at his side) and all of a sudden you can see one of my nephews fold his hands together as if to pray and you can hear this terrible noise.  The sound of the wind was incredible.  A few minutes pass and you can see (and hear) Bob going up the stairs (he still doesn't realize he has not put the camera down) and starts yelling, "Jeanne, the campers gone, the campers gone!!" and you hear her yell, "There's nothing we can do about it now Bob!"  He finally puts the camera down and it's pointing at the windows which are covered in dirt.
Later on they went around and shot the smashed camper that landed about 60 feet away, took the tree out of the Jimmy (went right through the driver side window) and boarded up a few broken windows.  Luckily, no one in town was hurt.  
It is the freakiest video to watch and listen to because in another hour, the boys would have been in the camper and who knows what could have happened.  

Beth

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 12:38 PM »
And wouldn't cha know it!I'm under a severe thunderstorm watch till 6!Should have know,with all the moisture in the air,and the sun being out.Funny thing,the cluster that prompted the warning started out at about seven AM over north georiga,and is now moving in to my area.What a lovely day!

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2003, 08:33 PM »
Beth, that story you told was truly amazing!  Wish I could see that video.  I have only seen one tornado in my life, and that's when I was about 14 years old.  To capture something like that on video is incredible.  Thank you for sharing that story.
dustrho

Offline jediguy

• Youngling
  • Sith Happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2003, 11:01 PM »
   My worst fear is storms.  Ultimately.  Not really floods, as there is pretty much no way I can get hit by one but when someone even mentions a Severe Thunderstorm Watch I have a panic attack.  (I developed a severe <pardon the pun> case of attacks because of this fear) Well just this past fourth I was up at Kings Island, about 45 minutes away from my house, and they were supposed to have a "Nights of Fire" fireworks show.  But when they came over the loudspeakers and said "our fireworks will be at 9:30 tonight due to a severe thunderstorm heading for our area"  I PANICKED!  I was crying like a baby.  When we were walking to our car on the other side of the lot, I could feel the rocks hitting the back of my legs.  I seriously thought I was going to die.  I prayed really hard in the car and still I am in oanic from that night.  This has been the worst month of my life as the storms are severe like every day.  I remember praying in the car and saying, "We're not going to die, are we?"  to my mom and she said, "No, honey, we aren't."  I may be a baby if I'm a 13 year old who cries but this storm really made me open my eyes.
I looked back on it and I see how God helped me and so I've started a small bible verse website.  I never really thought of god as a huge priority but now I really do cause I think I would have died without his help that night.  I gave up my Kings Island passes a couple of days ago, something I have had for years, but I know I will be glad I did as I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to that amusement park.  It would bring back horrible memories; those of moving three inches in twenty minutes and the dark and ominous sky.   I am torn for life because of this, but it's brought me closer to God, so I really don't think it was horrible.

Sorry about the long sappy story.  I sound like a nut.   It's just once I got started . . .  . .
". . . now screwed we all will be."

-Yoda // Star Wars: Episode III: A Lost Hope

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2003, 11:32 PM »
Nah, that's cool jediguy, most people are afraid of something, yours just happens to be storms.  

I love them and we've been shafted for the past several years.  We've had very few real big storms and that makes me sad.  I love to crack a beer and sit back and watch them with all the lights out.  Lots of light, big rumbling booms (maybe break a few windows, claim it on insurance) but no such luck.  

The worst part for me is that a big thunderstorm with rain and lots of wind is like a huge old sleeping pill.  Unless I'm sitting upright watching them, they put me to sleep like a big baby  :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2003, 11:42 PM »
Brent, I have to agree with you on both points you made.  I love watching thunderstorms (which should already be obvious).  If it's a really good storm I'll pop some popcorn, break out some beer, and watch it all night (with my trusty camcorder recording all the action next to me).  There's really haven't been that many HUGE thunderstorms in the last couple of years, but they've been really nice storms as of late.  Sleeping during a nice rain shower is so easy to happen to me.  It's so calm and relaxing, but if it's storming... I've got to be watching it.
dustrho

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2003, 11:43 PM »
Jediguy,I was exactly like you last year(actually the last nine)but,I overcame it,and I really don't know how.

I think you will enjoy this site as much as I do...

http://Http://www.nws.noaa.gov

That is is you already haven't stumbled apon it.

Offline jediguy

• Youngling
  • Sith Happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2003, 12:42 AM »
No, I had not seen that site.  Thanks for posting the link, and sorry for anyone who may have found my previous post a little too religious.  (Like I said, once I get on a roll . . .)
". . . now screwed we all will be."

-Yoda // Star Wars: Episode III: A Lost Hope