Author Topic: Figure Release Schedule?  (Read 2880 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Figure Release Schedule?
« on: March 28, 2006, 09:30 PM »
Imagine that you knew exactly what day new figures would be released, and that you'd be able to find them on that day, what would everyone's dream figure release schedule be?  One figure a week?  25 figures twice a year?

I would love to see five new figures released the same day each month.  To me that would be a perfect amount to keep me jazzed all year.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 11:52 AM by Jeff »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Figure Release Scedule?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 09:32 PM »
I could go for that.  Maybe one wave on the first of each month.  Then it ships again on the 7th and 14th.  Then a new wave the following month.  Might cause some major overages though at some stores so I don't think something like this is really possible.  Good idea though.

:P

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 09:39 PM »
4 figures a month would be perfect for everyones budget.  Throw in 2 exclusives and make it an even 50 for the year.  To me that is still a ton of figs.  I really enjoyed the resurgance of POTF in 95.  It was much simpler then and every wave seemed to be balanced nicely. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 10:38 PM »
That'd be smooth, like new DVD and CD Tuesdays.  I'd definitely like this.  I come up empty on 95% of my toy runs, and sometimes go 3 weeks checking every single day and finding nothing.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 11:14 PM »
I really don't know why Hasbro doesn't do this.  Or any toy manufactuer.  I know the logistics are different, but Hasbro is practically maintaining this kind of schedule right now.  Since TSC began, you every three weeks there has been a new wave of figures.  They arrive here in Iowa somewhere between Tuesday and Thursday of the week following the first sighting.  Like clockwork.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 11:46 PM »
Whew! At first I though I was on RS with the header. :-X

Great topic though. 10 figures every 2 months for me.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 05:20 AM »
10 every two months sounds good...  5 a month is a bit much for me, especially given the asinine distribution in my area.  I will say that I think the last quarter of a year, maybe the last 2 months, I dunno, should be spent refreshing the pegs...  I just am really disappointed that stuff's out then gone... 

OTC and POTJ were handled much better for distribution than what we're seeing right now.  Those lines I saw every figure mutltiple times...  Just seemed much better than what we're seeing right now...  Unless it's the increased residual popularity of 2005 carrying over, I dunno...  Stuff just seems much more difficult to find right now, and really since about October-ish of last year it's been this way.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 11:50 AM »
I could definitely got for this idea too, if it were possible.  Having a "release day" like there is for DVDs and CDs would be nice, especially if there was enough product to go around.  Of course, with collecting, you have the scalper/hoarding/etc. factor that you don't have with music or movies.  I mean, if I know that Revenge of the Sith comes out on Tuesday, I know if I go to Wal-Mart, Target, etc. that it will be there.  Pretty likely anyways.  The only time I haven't found a movie on release day is with the whole Batman Begins Deluxe 2-disc set thing, and that was mainly due to the stop in production of that particular version of the set.  The regular discs were easy to find.  I guess similar to the UGH figure nonsense in the Star Wars line, those are more limited, and I wouldn't mind necessarily if I missed those...its the new figures themselves that I'm more interested in.

I think a schedule of 4-5 figures a month would be fine with me.  I've said before I kind of envy the times (and stories from many of you) during the first POTF2 days, when there was only 12-20 figures a year to look for and pick up...along with a few vehicles/beasts/etc.  Although we are always in control of what/how much we buy, it does get a little overwhelming when there are 60 figures+, not to mention the other lines that are out there.  If they could figure out a way to have a release day each month for new waves, that would be outstanding.  Especially if you were assured you could get all the figures you were looking for, and then maybe reserve stuff like the "UGH" figures for "the hunt".  The basics would be there, but chase stuff could be the harder to find stuff.  Anymore, regular figures just as well be chase ones as far as availability.  Like Jesse mentioned, it seems like this year waves basically hit once and that's it in some cases.  Its harder and harder to find/pick things up...and this is just the normal, basic figures.  I couldn't imagine if I was a carded completist, or out to get all of the UGH figures, etc.  It has to be an even larger headache.  I'd almost rather see them cut back the total number of overall figures to something like we've been discussing, and just get more of them out there so everyone can find them.  The best restocking I saw recently was at WM, where they got their first Geonosis wave figures.  I must have gotten there right after they had been stocked, because they had something like 3-4 Scorch, 3-4 UT Clone, 3 Carb Han, 3 Boussh Leia, 3 Yoda, as well as a smattering of Chewie, Sora Bulq, etc.  I went back about a day and a half later, and all that was there was the 3 Yodas.  Things literally sell out in a day or less now, and that leaves the pegs bare for a month or more until the next wave hits.  If I still lived in the smaller town we used to, and only got to shop for figures on the weekends when we drove 40 miles to a Target or Wal-Mart, I would have a chance at finding stuff at retail I'm guessing.  Anyways...back on topic...a "figure release day" would be great, and some great ideas in this thread pertaining to that as well.  Just the idea of getting more out there of the figures is good as well, instead of "blink and you miss them" assortments.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Figure Release Schedule?
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 05:55 PM »
So far I've been very disappointed with Hasbro this year. Their distribution sucks, and I find that I've missed complete waves of figs.
       For example, my local K-Mart has had the Carkoon wave on the pegs since New Years. A few days ago, I walk in back to the toys, and find just the remnants of the severely HTF (at least in my area) Hoth Wave behind the rest of the Carkoon Wave.
       I just really wish that they would announce when they're supposed to be available, and keep more of them on the pegs for a longer time.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 10:37 PM »
After reading everyone's replies, it struck me that if there were four relaese dates a year, and about 12-14 figure per release, that would be great.  Then, you could get them "opening day" or have three months to buy them.  I bet the stores would love that.  They could just do endcaps, sell out, and then just keep a few pegs going for casual buyers.

I can dream, can't I?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Annatar

• Youngling
  • Lord Sauron the Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 11:45 PM »
I am picky about what SW figs I buy so I could deal with 1 wave a month.
Rebelscum: The Wal-Mart of Star Wars forums.