Author Topic: Army Building or Hoarding?  (Read 24259 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Army Building or Hoarding?
« on: March 23, 2006, 01:31 PM »
I dont know if anyone has noticed how much more difficult it has become to army build these days. Especially with Clones.  I have had to pay premium prices for the last few clones that were released and that was just to satisfy my one loose and one carded collecting needs.

My stomach turned this morning when I saw this pic over at that other site.  This is the reason I gave up 90% of army building.

Is this a bit much?  I know people will say if you have the money you can buy what you want but this IMO just ruins the hobby for people who may just collect a couple of figs.  Many of us would be glad to hand out cash to buy a couple figs but 90+  >:(  Come on folks lets leave a few on the pegs for the moderate collectors and kids.  BTW if anyone can find it in there (greedy) heart to let any of the new clones go for cost drop me an email.  Im sorry but to the folks out there who emailed me wanting $10 each for these figs you can blow me.   

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: Army Building or Hoarding?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 01:43 PM »
Holy crap ... I can't believe someone dropped $600 on that. Seriously, what the hell do you need with 95 of those anyway?

And yes, at this stage and considering the availability (or lack thereof), that's totally hoarding.

Just ... wow.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 01:44 PM »
I do not consider that army building.  That guy has some serious issues and probably need therapy.  With a ratio of 1/6 per case, this is totally hoarding.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 01:45 PM »
Oh god, I agree that's just nuts.  If some is going to need that many of that figure, at least put them in cool diorama for God's sake.

I believe the real problem lies in Hasbro however, no reason for them to have made this figure so hard to get right now.  But at least it's being repacked several times.

:P

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 01:47 PM »
Shite ... even assuming the low-end price of $5.89 a figure, that's still $559.55 before tax.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 01:50 PM »
I'll probably be ripped for saying this, but I don't really care.   I really don't see the need for more than two of any figure, but I understand some people are into army building.  Anyone who needs more than 10 of any figure has problems.  You have an obsessive/compulsive disease and need to seek professional help.  You are taking figures away from others to fill some void in your life IMO.  Go talk to a doctor.  You are no better than a scalper.  Seek help.  These toys will not give you the love your mommy and daddy didn't.  

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 01:56 PM »
I don't disagree with you saying you don't really care - but if you have a problem with someone army building, then you are the one with the problem - not me.  I like to make dioramas, tons of them.  It's my hobby.  To make those dioramas it takes army building.  So don't compare me to a scalper.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 02:03 PM »
Hmmmm.

I have to be careful castnig any stones, seeing as how I have a death star cabinet with about 70 basic stormtroopers and 50-60 other "troops" lined up for inspection. Of course, this has been collected over a period of 10 years, not in a few weeks.

While is is a little sickening to see something like that when so many of us have seen none (I have seen 1), I don't fault anyone for the way they choose to collect. If an army on Utapau is what you want, so be it.  But I think it is reasonable to ask if someone could have amassed that many that quickly without resorting to "unscrupulous" behavior. And if anyone is getting them from the back door of Walmart, Target, or other chain without them hitting the pegs for everyone to have a shot at them, then it is certainly hoarding.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 02:09 PM »
 Well...I won't say anything about the pic. Just this..Jim... send me a PM and tell me how many you would like for cost, you've dealt with me before and you know I don't scalp!! 10$ each is just BS ::)!!

The UrbanATR(slothus)

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 02:09 PM »
Can't 10 of one figure make just as good of a diorama as 20?  I would like someone to explain to me why someone needs that many.  It sounds like greed, hoarding, or pack rat mentality.  After you have your ten and you keep on buying, you are taking out figures that could go to someone else.  Just like a scalper would.  That is all I'm trying to say.  

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 02:11 PM »
After the initial reaction, a slightly more considered post from me....

I currently have zero of the Utie, and I still haven't decided whether I want one or not.

I try to make it a practice not to rag on other collectors, even when they do things I consider pointless/weird/OCD etc., but in this case I make an exception.

I have to be careful castnig any stones, seeing as how I have a death star cabinet with about 70 basic stormtroopers and 50-60 other "troops" lined up for inspection. Of course, this has been collected over a period of 10 years, not in a few weeks.

Dan, to me this is the essential distinction.

Let it be said that I don't really have anything against army building, although I personally consider it somewhat pointless. I think the max I have of any one army builder is 6 or so, although I'll admit I do have many more than that if you include multiple releases/versions of the same character.

However, two factors that must be considering in evaluating army building vs. hoarding are 1) time period over which the army was amassed and 2) availability of said troopers. At this stage of the game and considering the availability of this figure (or lack thereof) this is hoarding, not army building. Show me 95 #41 clones or show me your Uties in a year's time, and I wouldn't bat an eye. I'd still say it was pointless, but it'd be different. The Utie has barely come out yet. It all has to do with availability and timing.

BTW, I honestly cannot comprehend how anyone would have the desire, display space, or disposable income for 95 of any figure. Even assuming the low-end price of $5.89 a figure, that's still $559.55 before tax. I wish I had $600 I could throw around on a whim like that.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 02:14 PM by Valin Kenobirific! »

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 02:34 PM »
--Not to mention the arrogance to show it off--

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 02:51 PM »
I agree with what most of you have said already.  I don't fault people for army building, but the above picture is an example of maybe taking it a little too far.  Like it was mentioned, the time period makes a difference too.  I'm sure many people have a whole mess of Stormtroopers, but they've probably been accumulated since 1995...that's different.  This figure has been out not even a month, and you've got 95 of them already?  Seriously.  I too can't fathom possibly dropping that much money on figures like that, nearly $600 for an Utapau clone army.

I do minor army building, and they probably wouldn't even be considered "armies" by most collectors.  I think the most I have of any one figure is maybe 6 commtech Stormies (which I got during the TRU $2 sales), and possibly 5 or so of the white clones from ROTS.  I honestly don't have the budget (or space) to do much more than that, but even if I did, I couldn't see myself getting more than 10 or so (unless I really had a lot of display space).  Honestly, if I'm fortunate enough to find some clones on the pegs, I usually just take what I need (usually just two) and leave the rest.  I found some Utapau clones at WM earlier this week, bought 2 and left 2 more.  I'm on a limited budget, and besides, someone else can have a chance at them.  Its sad that the ones I leave likely go to scalpers or army builders, but I like to hope that they don't.  I feel for any kids (or parents) that would like to get these clones/stormies/etc....they probably don't stand a chance.  Like many of you have said, I have no problem with army building either.  I'd actually like to do a little more of it with some of the OT figures (Stormie, upcoming VTSC Scout), but to me that pic in the first post is an example of hoarding...especially this early in the release. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 03:47 PM »
Can't 10 of one figure make just as good of a diorama as 20?  I would like someone to explain to me why someone needs that many.  It sounds like greed, hoarding, or pack rat mentality.  After you have your ten and you keep on buying, you are taking out figures that could go to someone else.  Just like a scalper would.  That is all I'm trying to say.  

Ok - let me try and attempt to explain this.  I have a Death Star diorama, a Star Destroyer diorama, a Bespin diorama, an Endor diorama, a Tantive IV diorama, etc.  All of those above diormas have STORMTROOPERS in them.  I am not going to limit myself to 2-3 Stormtroopers in each diorama so all I have in my collection would be 10 Stormtroopers.  Does that not make sense?

For example, here's a couple older pics of my collection room.

That's why someone like me likes to army build.  I enjoy it.  I spend thousands of dollars on Star Wars stuff each year.  It's my hobby, and it makes me happy, so I do it.  If there aren't enough army builder figures out there, that's Hasbro's fault.  The market dictates demand (Ecomomics 101) - so I wouldn't blame collectors, I would blame the manufacturer that knows the demand is there but doesn't always do their homework.

As for the case of 95 or 100 Utapau Clones, it is a ton of them, but everyone has the right to get them.  As long as he's not getting them through the back door then it's fair game.  I do think it's a bit extreme, and I agree if can be irritating, but the figure is scheduled for many more case assortments.

Reminds me, I need to update my collection pics.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 03:54 PM »
Can't 10 of one figure make just as good of a diorama as 20?  I would like someone to explain to me why someone needs that many.  It sounds like greed, hoarding, or pack rat mentality.  After you have your ten and you keep on buying, you are taking out figures that could go to someone else.  Just like a scalper would.  That is all I'm trying to say. 

Well I agree with Chewie here.  I do not army build to have 50 troops standing there, unless it is a death star diorama.  I make dioramas and sometimes you need more than 10. 

Examples:

Geonosis arena battle.  How can you have a nice diorama with 12 or so jedi available from that scene and only 10 battle droid and 10 clones.  You need more battle droids than jedi and clones so that it looks "normal".  I got most of my clones from EE, just it was a rip off but hey I did'nt outcompete no kid for them.

Same goes for Endor and hoth dioramas.  10 troopers on each side next to things like AT-ATs just do not cut it IMHO. 

It is all relative.  But in my Naboo diorama I have about 75 battle droids and 35 gungans with vehicles and "beasts" and it looks good to me.

Of course I usually army build beyond say 10 with sale, clerances or online stores.  I have said it many times, I never remove all the army builders from the pegs at once.  If I week goes by and those clones are still there then I help myself but I leave one, two or more depending on how many I find.

This whole topic gave me the hunter's fever.  I am leaving work early to go get me sme clones.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 03:57 PM by Gatillo »
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.