Author Topic: The Motives Of Scalpers  (Read 7252 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
The Motives Of Scalpers
« on: March 28, 2006, 08:15 PM »
After seeing bare pegs yet again (Except for seeing a single Cody around a week ago) when I was at my local Target earlier today, I was wondering, what exactly is the motives of scalpers? Most of you would say to create a quick buck on eBay, but it just seems like too much trouble to wake up at 7 am, fatten yourself up with MickeyDees Breakfast, then head on to Target, obtaining every single figure in the store, including snatching figures straight from childrens hands (I've seen this), then selling them on eBay. I don't know about you, but that just seems like too much trouble for scalpers to do. So why do they do it? Were they summoned to Earth by Beezlebub to make collector's lives miserable?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 08:16 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: The Motives Of Scalpers
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 09:21 PM »
Well, it is to make a buck.  But they don't just buy SW, they pick out all HTF and rare items from all toy lines.  In fact, just today I saw a guy with at TRU with a cart full of Barbie and some other line.  He had duplicates of a few different products.  Then he dug through the Titaniums and pulled all of the silver ones.  I'm sure that it adds up after a while.

--Speedermike
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 09:27 PM »
I think a lot of it is people who have no life at all, that this is their way of entertaining themselves.  Most of them probably still have to have a regular job but do this as maybe a part of extra spending money, but I think basically it's like a hobby to them or gives them something to do.  I wouldn't worry about them too much, I think at least 90% of the time when someone beats you to new figures, that it's another collector.

:P

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 09:45 PM »
Ya know I get pretty upset knowing that some of the figs go straight to the 2nd hand market but look at the big picture.  So many people are drawn to making a quick buck doing it in a way that you really dont need any brain cells.  The majority of us will retire at a decent age and have our families, pensions, healthcare and retirement funds to kick back on.  Last time I checked some of these people selling stuff on ebay wont be taken care of financially, so in a way payback will eventually enter their meaningless lives.   

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 10:31 PM »
I don't know why I had to be the one to come in here and raise the point that scalpers have a couple inches less of erectile tissue than regular collectors.  It frustrates me that 4 people chipped in their $.02 and every single one of you left that out.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 10:38 PM »
It's because they have small penises.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 10:50 PM »

Kevin

Bingo.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 10:51 PM »
That logic is somewhat fraud.  I am NOT a scalper. :P
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 10:55 PM »
That logic is somewhat fraud.  I am NOT a scalper. :P

Dude, keep that **** inside.

Kevin

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 11:49 PM »
I know a few locals who scalp just to pay for their own collection.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 12:20 AM »

Kevin

Bingo.

;D LoL That made me laugh! Its all compensation to them!

I think they are all out to make a buck.
When I was 12 we went to Florida and I had a SA Clone wars trooper and a red arc trooper and a blue arc trooper.
Some dink wearing a target shirt went and grabbed them right out of my hands.  >:(
Damn scalpers.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 12:25 AM »

I have a job to pay for my collection.

They should maybe get one too?

Kevin

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 12:45 AM »

Who?
I remember my dream now.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 04:31 AM »

I have a job to pay for my collection.

They should maybe get one too?

Kevin

Here here!

I've heard that before myself... "Well, I sell hot items in other lines to help pay for my collection of ____________"

How about getting a better job so you can help pay for ___________

Typically in my area, the __________ is Hot Wheels collecting. What are cars in the store $1? If you can't swing collecting a line where each item costs $1, you shouldn't be collecting. I know that sounds snobby, but it's the truth.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 05:34 AM »

This is THE worst excuse people throw at you too...  I always hate when I hear this line of BS as the "excuse" that makes someone not a scalper when they're trying to defend their scalper ways...  I notice it a LOT at that otheR Site...  And to be honest if it were said here there'd be some punishment dealt because it's not condusive to a happy/good collecting community.

Yet you see it all the time, that people scalp and then say "but I collect and I only sell stuff to help me pay for my collection"...  I just can't stand that.  I don't know if it's the sheer stupidity of people who delude themselves into BELIEVING that it's ok or somehow not scalping, or if it's the possibility that they're saying it with the idea others are stupid enough to accept that... 

Anyway...  What's this about?

Oh motives...  Well I think there's a comical tone to the original post but yeah obviously some kind of profit's there to some people.  Whether they actually make much or not I don't know...  It's probably little work to get up early and do that, especially if you actually live close to anything.  That's maybe the positive to living in Pittsburgh, nothing is close by so it's tough for scalpers too...  They do tend to hit multiple toys though, and that's where I think the real benefit is.

If you've got time to keep up with Hot Wheels, Marvel Legends, Star Wars, LOTR (at the time), Sportpicks, etc., etc., etc., and know what's hot and what's not, then it's maybe more beneficial...

That then is why I hate the "UGH" bull that Hasbro's dumped on it...  Without chases I think certain pieces of cow dung left the line be because of getting burned.  Now they have a reason to come to the aisle... 

Not only does that now mean they're in flubbing things up on the UGH crap, but now they also probably will take a gander at other random basic figures they think are hot, and also the simple fact that these maroons leave the Hot Wheels aisle looking like a tornadoe hit it is annoying.  I see more Star Wars crap laying around, on the floor, on the lower shelves laying about, all because I know guys that aren't collecting are messing up the toy aisle because they don't care...  You see it where these people haunt the most (Hot Wheels for certain) and now you see it even more in Star Wars.  I know I'm noticing it more this year already...  Total BS, and all thanks to Hasbro's official "head-up-their-ass" idea of the year.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77