Author Topic: The Motives Of Scalpers  (Read 7260 times)

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
Re: The Motives Of Scalpers
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 09:24 AM »
And they are part of a community- They know each other, some like each other, some don't. They end up at the same swap meets with the same stuff. The one's I knew saw it as a game, and they liked to be better at it than the others. A couple of them used to have a store near me, but it closed up a few years ago. It was kind of nice, because I could drop in and see what had hit, and often find out when and where. Hot Wheels, Beanie babies, sport cards, pokemon, it was whatever could make a buck. I don't think they collected any of it for themselves.

I had posted this story in another thread, but it bears repeating here.

I went into Walmart the other day when they opened. As I was going back to SW, a guy with an armload of cars saw where I was headed and followed me back there. There was nothing on the pegs, but he says "I forgot about those silver stand figures, I have to remember to keep those on the list."

So there it is for Hasbro. Mission accomplished, the buzz is back in the line.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 09:31 AM »
I know a few locals who scalp just to pay for their own collection.

Who?

None of them post here, and they're all from the SF Valley. I think Crunchy Nug knows two or three of them. Two of 'em post on sandtroopers (one's a friend, unlike the other guy who I always complain about. :P )

Jesse, I've never heard theys guys claim they weren't scalping.  :-\ They're fully aware of what they're doing.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 10:17 AM »
The motives of scalpers are irrelevant in the end.  This is all about supply and demand.  Scalpers exists because collectors go to them to buy the stuff.  I have done it before when I used to be a carded collector but now I rather not have a figure than give in to that.

If nobody bought from them, scalping would not be a profitable venture but alas collecting (not only SW but anything) lacks patience and here is where scalpers make their money.

I know that a lot of you do not give into scalpers (and many more will claim that even though they do).  Still for every person that does not give in, there is one or maybe two that do.

You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 10:40 AM »
The motives of scalpers are irrelevant in the end. This is all about supply and demand. Scalpers exists because collectors go to them to buy the stuff. I have done it before when I used to be a carded collector but now I rather not have a figure than give in to that.

If nobody bought from them, scalping would not be a profitable venture but alas collecting (not only SW but anything) lacks patience and here is where scalpers make their money.

I know that a lot of you do not give into scalpers (and many more will claim that even though they do). Still for every person that does not give in, there is one or maybe two that do.

You are absolutely right, the frenzy is what feeds them, and SW now has a frenzy.

I will defend some people who purchase from ebay. I am lucky enough to live in a city with a couple dozen Targets and a bunch of Wal Marts. I find virtually everything I want at retail, although sometimes it takes longer than I would like. I'm also lucky enough to be able to order some cases here and there when there is an assortment that fills a lot of holes. Some people don't have the luxury of these options, and ebay becomes the place to "shop" for these items. This doesn't justify the ridiculous prices some of these reach, and even if you are reduced to ebay you should show good judgement and patience. People who spend $50.00 (or more) on the first figure to hit the auction block are driving the scalpers to make these things a priority, because the payoff is huge if you get in early.
Patience, you must learn patience.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 10:40 AM by Bob Dylan SW fan »

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 05:43 PM »
Well, thankfully, there are more nice and honest collectors than those hardass scalpers. I haven't ever seen a scalper at work but I have been approached and offered a fig by someone else in the store. I tend to see more good than evil in the toy aisles, and I'm happy about that.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...