Author Topic: Celebration IV speculation (2007?)  (Read 53111 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration IV speculation (2007?)
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2006, 01:07 AM »
Yeah, kinda real. I call it Saskabush eh.  ;)  ;D

Kindersley, Saskatchewan

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2006, 09:36 AM »
Minneapolis!

I am so okay with Minneapolis. Considering that they have done them in Denver and Indianapolis which are smaller than Minneapolis. After all having it in LA will cost everyone an arm, leg, and their first born. I think we have just found the birth place of the Sith...LA!!!
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2006, 02:01 PM »
It's interesting to me that, with a lot of replies, the best place to hold the next Celebration is, coincidentally, in very close proximity to wherever that particular poster is from.

Anywhere but Canada, is all I ask.   >:(

True. 

My suggestion for Minneapolis is actually based on the observation that it is one of the larger centers capable of handling large conventions.  Indianapolis is not such a place, rather it is considered a medium-sized convention venue and the scope of CIII was really beyond its ability to handle the event, well before it ever started.  Even the airport in Indianapolis is considerably smaller than suitable for an event of that size. 

But suggesting Minneapolis was as much a joke as anything else, given my proximity and the disproportionate preponderance on Vikings around this place. 

As for Canada, what a nightmare that would be :o  Between our stupid taxation and the rapidly changing border requirements (initiated, I might point out, by U.S. regulations) they couldn't select a worse location.  They'd be better off holding it in Mexico than Canada, of that you'd have no argument from me. 

As for "real" suggestions I'd think Minneapolis (really), Las Vegas or perhaps Denver would be suitable given the size of facilities and ease of travel.  Many cities are too expensive for many people, somewhat the opposite of Indianapolis and these would include Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and San Francisco.  Others probably have the perception of being 'riskier' from a personal safety standpoint - Detroit, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Oakland. 

And no, I'm not pulling this stuff out of my backside, they are real considerations for a number of meetings that get organized on a U.S. national level.  The meeting size is indeed considerably smaller than what CIII was or CIV would be, but the considerations are the same for the success of the meeting: will people feel safe and attend; will people be able to afford hotel accomodations; will people be able to (mostly) stay close to the venue; is public transportation satisfactory for the venue and if not, is there enough parking?  All considerations for the meeting I'm reasonably sure. 

Like you (not that I'd have a choice) I'd much rather travel to this event.  I've no idea why anyone would want to stay home, you're bound to miss so much more by doing so.  I know with meetings we've hosted you attend what you can, but the option of going home to see the family at days end holds some appeal, either out of desire or obligation and you miss out on so muc of the cameraderie of the event. 

For me flight costs vary remarkably little, so long as I book in advance.  Fort Lauderdale, San Diego and Bloomington, IL all cost the same for me, so it's not really a factor.  I'll readily admit to bias towards Minneapolis though, that'd be cheaper than anything else and the flight time would be really short. ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2006, 05:58 PM »
The only down side of any northern state would be the month the convension would take place.  Like it or not, many of us would have to stand outside for hours in order to get inside to stand in line again for a chance at exclusive items.  I froze my ass off at both Denver and Indy so any southern state gets my vote if it would be planned for the April/May time frame.
Beth

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2006, 07:28 PM »
If only C4 could be held in Las Vegas.  Cheap hotels, tons of convention centers, and lots of entertainment when you're not at the con.

Why can't they just do it there? 
Got Clones?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2006, 07:33 PM »
Celine Dion, that's entertainment.   ;D  :-X

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2006, 09:44 PM »
I say they should have it in Anahiem (Anaheim Conventon Center) if they are choosing SoCal. Disney is right there for those with smaller children and there are hotels pretty much everywhere.

I do agree with Josh though, Vegas, even though its not exactly family friendly anymore would be a great place. Everything is pretty cheap.
I remember my dream now.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2006, 11:13 PM »
Well this is interesting stuff that is floating arounds the boards, from the front page of Yakface.com.

C4 411
April 25, 2006 | 7:52 PM EST | Bill

Yak Reader John sent us this scoop on C4:

"While the the Los Angeles Convention Center website is down,
I did call their event planning department to see what is going on at their covention center in May 2007. The Electronic Gaming Expo (E3 ie the huge video game exposition for professionals only) and a some kind of "Star Wars Celebration" event that month. General rule of thumb that I have encountered is that convention centers have event information in hand and posted for scheduling purposed usually before an organization officially announces it."

SilverZ

« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2006, 11:57 PM »
Anaheim just doesn't have enough small halls to support all the peripheral events/seminars/groups/crap though, I think. Which is a shame because it's the perfect location.

Up until 6 months ago the LA Convention Center was always less than a 30 minute drive from where I lived, and I still loathed going to it, which I've had to every May for years and years now. It's an awful location and downtown is a toilet. There's no entertainment if you're in a hotel there, and you'll be cabbing out 10 miles in any direction to get somewhere that does.

But after having to travel so far for all three of the other Celebrations, a local one is appealing.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2006, 10:01 AM »
The listing of events for the LACC only goes to early May, so it shouldn't be ruled out just yet.  But depending on the timing, if it's the dates that Nick mentioned earlier, around the 24-27th of May, count me out.  I'd have thought those dates would be too close to the Memorial Day weekend as well. 

Jared's description of LACC certainly doesn't make for appealing draw power.  10 minute cab ride for entertainment?  AND downtown is a toilet?  Wow, guess I'm not walking anywhere, am I?  Sort of a dramatically different experience from Indy.  But I guess it would be warmer ::)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2006, 10:50 AM »
But I guess it would be warmer.

Now, your from Canada, and I'm from Upstate NY. The only thing I found cold was to be that freezing ******* rain on George Lucas Speaks day. Maybe it was all that extra insulation I had? :P

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2006, 05:27 PM »
I agree it was cold with the rain but for me it wasn't that bad (I think Colman nearly died though).  I think that's totally luck of the draw stuff though.  I suppose in the midwest the risk of cooler temperatures are greater than further south, but it was about 75 degrees in Indy the day I arrived.  Had the event been held four days prior to when it was, no one would have complained about the weather at all.  Maybe it would have been too hot :-X

But I think those weather variables are entirely impossible to predict, it could be pouring rain in LA for CIV. 

That said, I too think Vegas would be an ideal place to be.  The convention center by the Hilton is absolutely huge, tons of hotels, tons of entertainment options and a very well serviced, large airport. 

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2006, 06:23 PM »
I think Josh' Vegas Idea is the most awesome. However, LA wouldn't be bad-- the negatives were posted and there's more of those..but some positives?!

1. Imagine the.. ahhh... record breaking hooters photos we could collect
2. (for me) It's only a 1.5 hour drive ;D
3. Won't be cold so no freezing-parts-falling-off weather :-\
4. Pick a beach for JD event..any beach! (hopefully not closed for pollution)
5. We could all go to Coleman's new house and terrorize him!

6. Best of all you get to meet me ;D! (don't throw everything at once..ducks)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2006, 11:33 PM »
Actually Vegas was my suggestion.   ;)

It would be great travel-wise for us locals if it were at the LA Convention Center but for those from out of town, they'd have to drive to get to anything good.  The downtown area is not a great one and definitely not walking accessible like Indy was. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2006, 02:11 AM »
Any place that is "affordable" ultimately would suit me.  If it's cheap to eat, sleep, and such...  that's cool.  Indy was, Minne would be I think...  LV I've never been to so I'd be interested, I just loathe flying if I can avoid it, plus it throws kinks in groups having tables.  I know Bill's had reservations about a PSWCS booth being able to make an LA con, and FFURG would be hard pressed to make a con that 90% (or 100%, I'm not sure) of their staff would have to fly to...  We'd have no FFURG booth and that was a highlight for me last time.  We did a lotta good for that end of the hobby at C3 because we could all drive (or most could) and pack in lots of stuff needed to set up a customizing booth...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77