Author Topic: Celebration IV speculation (2007?)  (Read 53125 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration IV speculation (2007?)
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2006, 01:08 AM »
I don't see any need for evening entertainment.  As with CIII, the primary reason for my attendance was to finally meet my online friends. 

Good point.  Nothing will ever beat playing pool and air hockey, and drinking a few beers with the JD members (male AND female of course).  ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2006, 03:35 AM »
I agree with Brent's thoughts on it going some place like Vegas.  If I'm in Vegas it's to drink and gamble, not go to SW conventions. :)  That was a benefit to it being at an incredibly dull location like Indianapolis...  No offense to the Indy folk of course.

A flat small city with little "attraction", lots of restaurants, good hotels, and everything fairly central, was all beneficial...  THe Con was what you were there for, and you enjoyed time with friends in the evening.

The idea of it moving around some isn't a bad idea...  I'd be ok with going to Indy again though.  It was convenient on a number of levels.  The show was run like crap, but it seems to be every year?  That's always been my impression when everyone got home anyway.

I only want some better handling of the con more than it moving...  I helped with the www.FFURG.com booth they had set up in the Fan Group area...  I got there early to start setting up, and I have to say it was a real screwjob to some of the fan tables.  We were able to secure little support from the convention's employees, they were incredible arrogant and hostile towards those asking for help...

Our group needed more space, more tables, information, and the ability to get our volunteers in so we could work early.  We were given none of the above.  We had to fight to get any of it, EVERY day.  It truly was a pain in the ass in that regard.

It was a little irritating too, to see that some booths had tons of perks while they had little actual effort and/or "work" going on at their booths.  It was mostly a PR thing.  The FFURG booth had actual work going on, big crowds every day...  And a big middle finger from the people running the con.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2006, 04:29 AM »

Our group needed more space, more tables, information, and the ability to get our volunteers in so we could work early. We were given none of the above. We had to fight to get any of it, EVERY day. It truly was a pain in the ass in that regard.

It was a little irritating too, to see that some booths had tons of perks while they had little actual effort and/or "work" going on at their booths. It was mostly a PR thing. The FFURG booth had actual work going on, big crowds every day... And a big middle finger from the people running the con.

I got pretty annoyed seeing the Ohio Collectors club (or whatever it is called) booth, they had just as much space as the FFURG table and really didn't need it. No offense to them, but they were just sitting around, and really could have used 1/4 the ammount of space. It was pretty tough cramming four guys, bags and boxes of fodder, customizing equipment, and a little workspace into that small little booth. And it wasn't like they didn't have enough room in that hall, it was fairly empty for the most part.

Personally I wouldn't mind the con being in Indy again, it is nice and central and I thought everything seemed to be within a nice walking distance.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2006, 01:11 AM »
I've heard stories that go far beyond space perks other clubs got and they ultimately had no need for it...  Though space was a huge problem for us all weekend.  Other issues clogged up the works though no doubt.  It was handled piss poor from the get-go.

The Con was fun, but there's gotta be better ways to do that crap than what they did.  There has just gotta be.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2006, 10:11 AM »
The Javits Center certainly would be convenient, Dave!  I wouldn't take issue with that since it's so close.  But I think the thing that would rule out NY as a location would probably be the hotel expenses.  The only way that I think it would even be practical is if they turned Star Wars Celebration into a touring event that would hit several key locations around the country.

The LA rumor is definitely interesting.  Thing is, how good is this rumored convention center?

As for Indy, the convention center was mobbed.  There's no two ways about it.  I recall that the Fire Marshall may have taken issue with just how many people were in the building, and I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 25K people at the busiest times.  Both the staff and the facility seemed stretched to capacity for the entire run of the show, as were the hotels.  The staff was worked to death and/or seemed incompetent much of the time. 

I even saw some interaction between some of the GenCon staff and Steve Sansweet.  The conversation was tense and Steve did not seem happy.  I think the consensus is that there was plenty of acrimony between LFL, the fans and  the organizers.  My sentiments?  Bye-bye, GenCon.  Time to find a new location and new organizers.  The people from Comic Con know how to run a very large scale event.  Get involved with them.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 05:47 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2006, 12:10 PM »
Those dates suck as my wife is running a large scale meeting here that weekend, so I hope that isn't the date. :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2006, 05:30 PM »
Man I'm cool with LA cause then all I have to worry about is the drive!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2006, 09:24 PM »
Same here. ;)

I'd like to make it to one one of these years, so this would be ideal.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2006, 09:43 PM »
C4 should be somewhere on the east coast, preferably Washington DC, 'cause all the SoCal people are spoiled by SD ComicCon, and all the upper midwest people were spoiled by C3.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2006, 11:57 PM »
Minneapolis!
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2006, 12:11 AM »
Better than LA, I'm ok with Minneapolis. :)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2006, 12:35 AM »
It's interesting to me that, with a lot of replies, the best place to hold the next Celebration is, coincidentally, in very close proximity to wherever that particular poster is from.

"I think it should be held in Kennesaw, Georgia!"
"Oh yeah?  Well, I think it should be in Boise, Idaho!"
"**** you both, Santa Fe is where it's at!"

And I can appreciate wanting to have the Celebration as close to your hometown as possible, to save on as much travel and lodging as possible (especially with gas being so high these days). 

But there's also something to be said for travelling, too.  I went to the first two Celebrations, and part of the fun of both of them was just getting away from everything, if only for a little while, and seeing new things, and hanging out in places I had never been before.

So, I'd be cool with Celebration 4 being as far away from my hometown as possible.  Miami, Florida.  Portland, Maine.  Seattle, Washington.  San Diego, California.  Hell, even Anchorage, Alaska would be okay with me.  (Plus, nobody else would go, so there wouldn't be a line for the store.)

Anywhere but Canada, is all I ask.   >:(
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2006, 12:45 AM »
Anywhere but Canada, is all I ask.   >:(

Maybe some some town like Kindersley, Saskabush.  :-X

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2006, 01:00 AM »
Kindersley, Saskabush?

Is that even a real place?  Because it sounds made-up.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."