Author Topic: silicone molds i got a success  (Read 5497 times)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
silicone molds i got a success
« on: March 31, 2006, 10:47 PM »
hey any one have experience wit these. I used vaseline to make it a two part but the second have did not  capture the detail like the first is there a possibility I used to much vaseline or is it that I did not get the correct amounts of each rubber part
« Last Edit: April 2, 2006, 06:44 PM by Smartypants1635 »

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
Re: silicone molds
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 11:55 PM »
Smartypants,

It does sonund like you used to much vaseline. I nomally use a mold release that is in a powder form. Almost like babypowder, but with out the shine. The other sollution is to get a mold release agent that is in the form of an airasol can. Its vaseline in a spray can. All you want to do is give it a quick coat, no more than one to two passes of the mold so you have it covered. No dripping, or pooling of this stuff or you loose detail. I hope this helps.

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #2 on: April 1, 2006, 09:24 AM »
thanks Ben I just read Glass's tutorial and he uses a q- tip, I just used my finger (probably why it didn't work) :-X also do I want to cover my piece I'm casting or no.

I was trying to mold a teemto and a Ody and neither of them turned out good, the first half rocked........ second half was a dud like a stated. If I can get some decent molds today out of them I'll go ahead and mold my Sculpted head :P Then on to the casting. :P
« Last Edit: April 1, 2006, 09:28 AM by Smartypants1635 »

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 1, 2006, 10:17 AM »
Smartypants,

I use a fine paint brush and vaceline before I bought the mold release that is in a powder form. What you want to do is give a VERY LIGHT COAT, thats it. No clumps, no drips, no pools, no excess at all. It should look like the figure or part has just a slite gloss look to it. Besides, the vaceline is more to keep the silicon from sticking to itself than to the figure or part. Silicon sticks only to itself. By coating the figure/part you ensure that silicon will not get stuck in small crevious. Don't forget to put in your air vents and keys  into your mold. Trust me, it will pay off.

Good  Luck,

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #4 on: April 1, 2006, 10:29 AM »
I have the keys part down but the way I've seen it done there is no need for vents. thanks for the help Ben I hope to be casting today

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #5 on: April 1, 2006, 05:27 PM »
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH ok so I just went to the garage to take the casts out of there molds and when I opened them up the molds weren't filled with the cast just little flakes of resin and they didn't even fill the whole thing up????? can you tell me what went wrong?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: April 1, 2006, 05:35 PM »
Just out of curiosity how come you seem to start a new casting thread every week or so?
« Last Edit: April 1, 2006, 05:35 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #7 on: April 1, 2006, 05:38 PM »
I don't  ??? this is the same one I was using the other day. I havn't started one for a few months check it out for yourself. >:(
It was in december when I was asking if I could use plasti dip then someone else asked the same question in january or febuary, go back to page six and you'll find mine but I havn't started Any thread of any sort since december. >:( why don't you stop accusing and check your facts first. >:(
« Last Edit: April 1, 2006, 05:41 PM by Smartypants1635 »

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #8 on: April 1, 2006, 06:40 PM »
K so i went and checked my next cast like you said Ben and it turns out that with my 2 peice mold its leeking through the crack between each peice of the mold and also there is a miniscule hole in the indent from the lego tray i used as the base when making the mold so >:(. Looks like im gonna need to perfect my technique. was it this hard when you first made yours?

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 1, 2006, 11:00 PM »
Smartypants,

I could sit here and tell you the stories of the disasters and successes in casting all night. But I won't.  ;D I will tell you this, with each experiment casting and molding is another block in the learning process in this hobby. Keep a log of all your attempts and note all the successes and failures. This is chemistry we are dealing with. Just because the instructions say to mix this with that does not account for climate and humidity and any other elements that could affect the mold and casting process. I am still learning and asking questions everyday. I keep trying new stuff as soon as I hear about it. Once you find what works for you, practice that until you find something better. Hang in there, you're doing fine.  Also, see if your school's art teacher could help you out with some supervision until you feel comfortable doing it at home. And, as always, you can ask us for help anytime.

Good luck,

Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #10 on: April 2, 2006, 11:11 AM »
Thanks Ben, I am definately gonna keep at it but those first ones were just bad.
And I'm definatley not going to my art teacher shes a psycho seriously, shes a very odd woman.

Offline babyjawa

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 2, 2006, 11:16 AM »
I am making a tutorial for my friends at thejawa. When it is finished I could post it here.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #12 on: April 2, 2006, 11:19 AM »
yeah dude that would be great, I think my mold crisis is over just now to make sure the resin stays inside the mold, do rubber bands work to hold them together?

Offline babyjawa

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 2, 2006, 11:23 AM »
Did you cut it in half? I usually just hold mine together because it takes only 2mins for the resin to harden.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #14 on: April 2, 2006, 02:39 PM »
I followed glass mans tutorial on Iron cow, but my resin takes 30 mins to cure 15 min pot life. its the only kind the shop had :-\  smooth cast 305 by smooth on