Author Topic: 501st Trooper-My first paintjob.  (Read 2127 times)

Offline babyjawa

• Youngling
    • View Profile
501st Trooper-My first paintjob.
« on: April 3, 2006, 08:24 PM »
Well, this is my first try painting. I used citadel paints, and I used the color Royal Blue. I thought that the Ultramarine was to light colored. I also tried some weathering on this figure by dry-brushing with black paint. I think that it turned out ok, but I don't really like it.

The pictures aren't very good. Probably because it is getting dark out so I will try and get better pics in the morning.

So here we go...

Front

Back

Side

I would really like to know what you think of it, and I know that I didn't make it have a removable like I said. I didn't want to mess up my only #41 clone that I have to customize.

Thanks,

BJ

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 501st Trooper-My first paintjob.
« Reply #1 on: April 3, 2006, 08:33 PM »
Hey, this is a pretty good start!  Really good job on the chest symbol and the shade of blue is great.

To straighten out the line on the helmet and the legs, you can try using an exacto knife to scrape away any excess paint.

Here are the ones I made, looks like we used similar shades of blue.

:P

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 3, 2006, 08:56 PM »
I'm with Chewie on this one.  Its a great first attempt!   I think the chest emblem is very well done.    The exacto knife trick is very good for straightening lines, it is also a good way to go back and "chip" the paint like is common with much of the weather.  As far as the weathering goes, looks pretty good.  I also try to do some light washes with a dark paint to highlight the crevices in the clone armor.  The Hasbro mold is actually very detailed if you give it the proper wash.

It was a little less than a year ago that I cut my teeth on some 501st clones too.  I used a different shade of blue - enchanted blue.  This shot shows a comparison of my first two clones - one with Citadel paints (left) and one with apple barrel paints (right).

As you can see, I wasn't brave enough to go back and try to add the pinstripes on the legs  ;D

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 3, 2006, 09:49 PM »
Nice first attempt! ;D

I use citadel paints too but I always mix them to form a proper color that I use on my 501st but they are all lighter and darker shades of blue  :P However its not too noticable either...infact I think I'll go customize right now!  ;D

I have a question though.
What spray do you use as sealer.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline babyjawa

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 4, 2006, 12:16 AM »
Thanks all.

Chewie, I tried doing that, but it didn't seem to work to well. I will try again tomarrow.

Clone Commander, I don't really know what brand it is. I haven't ever used it  before because this is my first try.

Thanks again.