Author Topic: The Matrix Reloaded  (Read 5009 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: The Matrix Reloaded
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2003, 02:36 PM »
I just read the the movie earned $42.5 million in North America.  :o  The largest one day opening in the history of the movie business. Huge Thursday

Interesting though. It has an R rating, no one under age 17 will be admitted without an accompanying adult.

Up here, it has a 14A rating, anyone under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. I guess the rating varies across Canada. Canadian Movie Ratings
Maybe Brent can confirm this?

Whats the Movie Rating from were you are from?

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2003, 09:37 AM »
I saw it Saturday morning and was disappointed. This story could have been told in 45 minutes. The pacing was that slow.

First of all, it's pretty apparent the studio wanted to deliver a post-Columbine R-rated film. Unfortunately, thanks to the studio's rating hang-up, a lot of the scenes seem forced. This film could have been shaved to a PG-13 rating and not lost a cent of revenue.

Speaking of arbitrary, check out those fight scenes. They've become so cliche and subject to parody, they're painfully redundant. It was more of the same, but this time with CG actors doing a fair amount of stunt work. In the context of a computer-generated matrix it's forgivable, but you can't help holding the first film in higher regard because of it.

And maybe I'm confused, but didn't the last film come to the conclusion that Neo was basically God in the matrix? Why does he have to fight at all? This is a guy who can stop bullets, fly at terrifc speeds, and bed Carrie-Anne Moss. He should be able to vanquish any opponent with the blink of an eye.

The car chase is the most interesting part of the movie, and the most anticipated given the amount of hype attached to it. Even this left me wishing it was shorter. How many times can Morpheus almost fall off the roof of a semi? Frankly I got bored counting.

When I went into the theatre, I tried to keep my expectations as low as when I saw the first film, which many considered at first glance to be a Johnny Pneumonic ripoff. While there were some interesting plot developments (the multiple Smiths, Neo's status as a modern day Moses), there wasn't enough for a two-hour movie.

This is obviously a bridge to the final chapter in the Matrix trilogy, but it was a bridge I came close to jumping off.
Post sober.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2003, 10:21 AM »
Well there seems to be alot of mixed reviews about Reloaded. I thought it was OK, but I will agree the pacing was slow.

It broke another record for the highest opening of a R-Rated film. $93.3 million.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2003, 11:51 PM »
Blah, blah, blah.  Could they make anymore long winded speeches?  Sheesh.  Good movie overall, worth seeing.  Leave feeling very depressed, just as after the first.  Cool effects.  

Could be an expensive year next year for DVD's.  Probably a four pack (5?) for The Matrix series and what do you figure, about a 15 pack for LOTR? ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Jango Fettish

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2003, 11:58 PM »
Matrix's opening day total record is null and void.

It made 5 Million on it's Wednesdays Sneak Preview, for a total of $42.5. Spiderman opened w/o a preview at $39.5 million...Matrix:Reloaded, $37.5 Million.

Reloaded blew, and I was planning on getting the inevitable box set. But the franchise has been ruined for me, personally.

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2003, 01:13 AM »
I really liked it. I thought the movie flowed very well but the "love scene" seemed a little out of place and long-winded. The only other real problems I had were the fake looking CGI humans, namely the big Neo vs. the Agents fight scene. Some of that just looked really, really bad for a movie... but good for a video game.

***SOME SPOILER CONTENTS BELOW***
Just curious but is it possible that Zion is not another program of the Matrix and Neo is just discovering that he has the same power outside of the Matrix? I know everything points to Zion being a part of the MAtrix but do you think they could spin it this way? It'll definitely be interesting to see how this whole thing pans out. I mean, if they destroy the Matrix what becomes of all of those people that the machines are using for batteries? How would they go about rescuing billions of people suddenly "detached" from the machine?
***END SPOILER***

Also, I haven't seen anyone post about it yet but I was wondering if anyone stayed for the Revolutions trailer that was attached to the end of the credits? It looks like a lot of the battle of Zion will be covered. One good clip was a fierce battle scene between those guys in the giant robot getups battling tons of Sentinels, very sweet looking!

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2003, 11:06 PM »
Finally got a chance to see it and I liked it.  The pace of the movie was kinda slow, but it was cool as hell seeing what Zion was all about.  The action scenes were intense!

I just wish George Lucas could hire the choreographers of The Matrix, so lightsaber duels could be so much more intense.  That would be one hell of a battle!
dustrho