Author Topic: TSC Advertisements  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
TSC Advertisements
« on: April 13, 2006, 03:02 PM »
Although it seems that tv commercials for Star Wars toys (aside from Vader Helmets, lightsabers, and LEGOs) are all but extinct, I have noticed more and more print ads lately.  From the Star Wars Insider, to comics, to the recent ToyFare, I've seen a few lately.  I just thought it might be interesting to post any that you find throughout different readings, or by some miracle, on TV.

In all three of the readings I mentioned (the comics being SW comics) I've seen an ad for the VTSC collection.  It shows all five figures, and mentions the mail-away (and pictures the head in a shadowy "mystery" box), although it doesn't say exactly what it is.  It just says "receive the ultimate tribute figure, a character who is literally one with the Force!"  Kind of a neat ad overall, and nice to see.

Another one that I saw in this week's ToyFare was kind of neat too.  Its an ad featuring the upcoming Hem Dazon action figure.  The top lines say "Three seconds on the screen.  Forever on display."  Then there is a picture of the figure, and below that it says "Hem Dazon 00:44:50 - 00:44:53", followed by "You might have missed him there, standing in the cantina (no doubt wondering how to get more salt on his margarita glass). But fear not - now that moment of celluloid stardom has been captured for all time, as part of our Star Wars collection of 3 3/4" action figures."

Anyways, nice to see a few ads for figures, although I kind of miss the vintage days of seeing various figures/ships/playsets on television.  Those ads sure look cheesy now, but they are still kind of neat from a nostalgia viewpoint.  I don't remember the last time I saw SW figures advertised on TV, maybe during AOTC.  I seem to remember 1 or 2 commercials then.  Then again, you don't really see lines like Marvel Legends/Classics or the like advertised either.  Probably because, even though they don't want to admit it, they are made for collectors more than kids.  I see more along the lines of TMNT, Power Rangers, etc. if anything.  Anyone else seen any SW ads lately?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: TSC Advertisements
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 03:09 PM »
The transformers have been on TV frequently around where I am.  Cartoon Network I think.  Haven't seen any action figure promos though.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Aucassin

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Hasbro's UK site has some ads. They're pretty funny.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Huh,

I was digging around over there and found a goofy looking poster:

http://www.hasbro.co.uk/swminimovies/collectors%20poster%20reverse.pdf

Very similar to the ROTS poster, but photoshopped with the first 30 Saga figures instead... I wonder if this type of poster is coming at SDCC? 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 07:48 PM »
There's a similar ad to the Hem Dazon one for the Firespeeder Pilot in the new Lee's.  It's equally funny.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 11:29 AM »
The past couple of SW comics I've been picking up have had an ad for the VTSC in it.