Author Topic: WOTC Star Wars Miniatures  (Read 143897 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: WOTC Star Wars Miniatures
« Reply #480 on: September 14, 2005, 03:37 AM »
Holy mother of God.  AT-AT goes for $300 on eBay...  Woah.  They said they won it in a raffle at Gen Con, but I'm wondering if there's anything different about it than what's about to be released in just a few weeks.  Or is it a "promo" item like some of the miniature figures have been in the past?  Don't see the guy mention "promo" at all, so I can't tell.  But is that the same insert that comes in the packaged AT-AT box?  If so, I just don't get why someone would pay 10x what these things are pre-selling for, especially so close to their actual release date.  Am I missing something?

Also, the guy says the AT-ATs aren't due 'til next year.  That's not true, is it?  Aren't they coming later this month?  Adam?

Looks like a complete Universe set just got BIN'ed for $400 too.  Damn, these things are going crazy!

My 2 cases just arrived today - can't wait to rip into them!

So...  WTF?!?  Damned tease.  >:(
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 03:40 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Sithbaker

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Krackbrick Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 14, 2005, 11:30 AM »
Last I heard, the AT-AT was still coming in November.
I did see a few made it out at Gen Con, someone on the WOTC boards
was trading one awhile back.

Full set for 400? DAMN!
Lets see, Thrawn, Maul, Luke JM , AT-ST are all at least 20 bucks usually.
Bunch in the 15 dollar range, some in the 8-10...
I think 400 is a bit high, personally.

2 More to go! Kyle and Luke JM. SOO Glad I pulled a Thrawn. Have a Maul coming
from a trade, he is the one figure from this set I didn`t see at all (AGAIN!).
I saw about 8-9 cases opened so far, just 2 Thrawn, 1 Luke JM, handful of AT-ST
and no Mauls, oh, only 1 Barc Speeder.. thought that was odd, and 3 Rancor.
Adam

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 15, 2005, 02:14 AM »
I just finished opening my 2 cases - in total, I've opened 14 boosters and here's what I got:

1. Clone Trooper - Common 4
2. Clone Trooper on BARC Speeder (Huge) - Rare 1
3. Elite Clone Trooper - Uncommon 2
4. Flash Speeder (Huge) - Uncommon 3
6. Battle Droid - Uncommon 2
8. Hailfire Droid (Huge) - Uncommon 1
10. Super Battle Droid - Common 3
11. Super Battle Droid Commander - Uncommon 2
12. Abyssin Black Sun Thug - Common 5
13. Acklay (Huge) - Uncommon 1
14. ASP-7 - Uncommon 3
15. B'omarr Monk - Rare 1
16. Dash Rendar - Rare 1
17. Dr. Evazan - Very Rare 1
18. Gonk Power Droid - Common 2
19. Guri - Rare 1
20. Kaminoan Ascetic - Common 4
21. Lando Calrissian, Hero of Taanab - Rare 1
22. Lobot - Rare 2
23. Nexu - Uncommon 2
24. Ponda Baba - Rare 1
25. Prince Xizor - Very Rare 1
27. Reek (Huge) - Uncommon 2
28. Rodian Black Sun Vigo - Uncommon 2
29. Shistavanen Pilot - Uncommon 1
30. Tusken Raider on Bantha (Huge) - Uncommon 3
31. Vornskr - Common 3
32. X-1 Viper Droid (Huge) - Uncommon 3
35. Dark Side Marauder - Uncommon 2
36. Dark Trooper Phase III - Uncommon 3
39. Nightsister Sith Witch - Uncommon 2
40. Noghri - Uncommon 1
41. Stormtrooper - Common 3
42. Stormtrooper Commander - Uncommon 2
43. Admiral Ackbar - Very Rare 1
44. Bith Rebel - Common 4
46. Dressellian Commando - Common 4
48. Luke Skywalker on Tauntaun - Rare 2
50. Princess Leia, Rebel Hero - Very Rare 1
51. Wedge Antilles - Rare 1
54. New Republic Commander - Uncommon 3
55. New Republic Trooper - Common 4
56. Young Jedi Knight - Common 3
59. Yuuzhan Vong Subaltern - Uncommon 1
60. Yuuzhan Vong Warrior - Common 3

I was disappointed not to get either a Rancor or AT-ST.

So this is what I need:

5. Obi-Wan on Boga (Huge) - Very Rare
7. Darth Maul on Speeder - Very Rare
9. Nute Gunray - Rare
26. Rancor (Huge) - Very Rare
33. AT-ST (Huge) - Rare
34. Baron Fel - Very Rare
37. Darth Vader, Jedi Hunter - Rare
38. Grand Admiral Thrawn - Very Rare
45. Chewbacca, Rebel Hero - Rare
47. Han Solo, Rebel Hero - Rare
49. Nien Nunb - Rare
52. Kyle Katarn - Very Rare
53. Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master - Very Rare
57. Nom Anor - Rare
58. Warmaster Tsavong Lah - Very Rare

« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 02:14 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #483 on: September 15, 2005, 02:37 AM »
Man, I hate to say it, but that sucks Jesse.  You didn't get ANY of the good VRs there...  Damn.  Looks like you've really got your work cut out for you.  :-\

I've been catching up on my ROTS set (while awaiting my Universe cases), and am just about wrapped up with it.  Here's some of my few needs:

ROTS wants:

R2-D2 (VR)
Chewbacca (VR)
Bail Organa (VR)

That's pretty much it.  Kinda dreading the Universe set now, as I've fallen pretty far behind now while waiting for that damned AT-AT (since my Universe cases are shipping with it).  I thought it was due to be released in early October, but now we're looking at November?  Ugh.

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 15, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Man, I hate to say it, but that sucks Jesse.  You didn't get ANY of the good VRs there...  Damn.  Looks like you've really got your work cut out for you.  :-\

NOT TRUE, you only get two regular sized VRs per case, don't feel that bad about your cases.  Two cases isn't really enought to get much of a start.  At least you got Admiral Ackbar, Prince Xizor and Leia together they all bring a lot to the Rebel Faction.  You did get Dr. E. though but at least you only got one of him... I pulled two  :-\.  At this point I would recommend you buy another case and then buy singles.  If you buy more than a case you will probably run into massive duplication problems.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #485 on: September 15, 2005, 05:25 PM »
NOT TRUE, you only get two regular sized VRs per case, don't feel that bad about your cases.

Hang on a second here, since I haven't followed the case breakdowns for Universe much, would someone kindly LMK what the ratios are in a case then?  I know in the past, you always got 4 VRs in a case of 12 boosters (for RS, CS, ROTS).  So I was assuming the Universe cases would contain 2 VRs each since there's only 6 boosters to a case now.  If that's true, and Don's saying that they're both "regular sized" VRs, then how the hell does someone pull a Huge VR like the Rancor or Boga?  That doesn't make much sense to me...

At least you got Admiral Ackbar, Prince Xizor and Leia together they all bring a lot to the Rebel Faction.

Jesse doesn't actually "game" with the minis, which is why I was saying that he got the shaft.  He got most of the lowest in demand/value VRs and Rs there, so he's really going to be screwed in trying to track down the ones that he's missing, since they're all the toughest ones to acquire.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 15, 2005, 05:33 PM »
Yeah, I was really hoping to get Thrawn and a Rancor, and Vader too of course.

But I was pretty pumped to get the Bantha and Hailfire Droid, and even the Reek and Acklay are very cool.

One thing I'm very disappointed in is the paint jobs on the Clones.  I received 4 of them but only one has a decent paint job on the helmet - the others are very rough.

Hang on a second here, since I haven't followed the case breakdowns for Universe much, would someone kindly LMK what the ratios are in a case then?

Damn, I should have kept closer track of which figures came out of which case.  I just started opening and couldn't stop.  :-\

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #487 on: September 15, 2005, 05:58 PM »
But I was pretty pumped to get the Bantha and Hailfire Droid, and even the Reek and Acklay are very cool.

Those are all just Uncommons though, so they're relatively easy to pull actually.  Huge, yeah, but easy.  OK, I'll stop raining on your parade now...

- Mr. Pessimist

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 15, 2005, 06:54 PM »
OK, I'll stop raining on your parade now...

- Mr. Pessimist

Hey, no worries.  If it would help ease your guilt, you can send me one of your cases when it arrives.   :P

you only get two regular sized VRs per case

Hmmm.  If that's true, that would explain my 4 VR's - the ones I pulled were Evazan, Ackbar, Leia and Xizor.

Don, you suggested 3 cases to get started, then buy the rest in singles.  What do you other guys think?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #489 on: September 16, 2005, 04:57 AM »
Hmmm.  If that's true, that would explain my 4 VR's - the ones I pulled were Evazan, Ackbar, Leia and Xizor.

But it still doesn't explain how someone would potentially acquire a VR Huge though.  That's what I don't get.  Unless it's like the Kubricks, where you get one VR Huge per master case (which has 4 regular cases in it).  But I haven't heard of that either.  I've just never heard of the "only standard sized VR's" in a case before.  It's just not possible, since there's obviously several Huge VRs as well.

Don, you suggested 3 cases to get started, then buy the rest in singles.  What do you other guys think?

It depends.  I trade like a freaking mad man on several different sites, and with a little patience, can fairly easily turn 12-15 boosters into a complete set.  That's why I only picked up 2 cases (12 boosters) of the Huges.  I might grab a few more boosters though, if I can find 'em for cheap.  I also have a ton of high end VRs left over from the last couple sets to trade for the Universe ones as well.

But I know that most people don't go as agro as I do on the trading circuit, so if that's the case, then I'd say yeah, you'll probably want to go for 3 cases in this instance (but not on a regular release where there's 12 boosters per case).  Just scope out eBay and wait for a good bargain to come along.  Patience and diligence will save you a good $20 per case.

As for buying singles off of eBay, I've never done it.  I hate paying $3-5 in shipping for a single mini (which is what most sellers charge), when it only costs the seller about $1.38 to send it.  **** that.  But there are some good deals to be found though, if you look around a little.  I've seen lots of Rares go for 99 cents, and some of the lower end VRs go for $5 - $9.  If you wait a little bit, the prices on most of the minis will probably drop a little bit, since they're just crazy hot right now with the Universe set just being released.  Granted, you do run the risk of missing out on something like the RS Fett or CS Maul, which run $40 - $50 apiece these days, so be careful.

Good luck Jess! (you're gonna need it)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 05:04 AM by JediMAC »

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 16, 2005, 11:07 AM »
Huge rarity is separate with no apparent rhyme or reason just that there will be one huge per booster, maybe one VR huge in every third case, and one R  huge in every other case.  The real shaft cases only have UC huges, I was afraid that might happen to me, but thankfully it didn't.

It is possible to get a regular sized VR in the same booster as a huge VR.  It also happens that you will get a huge VR and huge R in the same case.

I don't know what logic those guys at Wizards were using with this distribution system, it seems like it is either feast or famine a lot of the time.

Personally I got very lucky, from four cases I pulled 3 VR huges and 3 R huges so you never know.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #491 on: September 17, 2005, 05:08 AM »
As far as I've ever heard, the only known breakdown information is that you will get one Huge in every booster, and one Rare or VR in every booster.  Those can be one and the same though, in some instances.

It is possible to get a regular sized VR in the same booster as a huge VR.

I've NEVER heard of that happening to anyone on any of the 5 minis boards I frequent.  WOTC said ONLY one Rare or VR per booster, regardless of whether it's a Huge or not.  Do you have a link or something to an occurrence like that, 'cause I find that rather unbelievable...

It also happens that you will get a huge VR and huge R in the same case.

Now that's certainly possible, if you're talking about a case of 6 boosters.  I've definitely heard of that happening.

BTW, does anyone have an extra Zam Wessell lyin' around?  I just ditched mine in part of a bargain deal to nab a ROTS Palpy.  So now my CS set is incomplete again... Holler if anyone has one!

- M

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #492 on: September 20, 2005, 12:34 AM »
Just outta curiosity, what's the difficulty of finding AT-ST's, and how "tough" to find do you think an AT-AT is going to be?

I'd like at least one AT-AT with 2 ST's flanking it...  It's a dream I have for minis gaming, but I've heard bad things about the AT-ST's availability.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 20, 2005, 01:45 AM »
Just outta curiosity, what's the difficulty of finding AT-ST's, and how "tough" to find do you think an AT-AT is going to be?

For what it's worth, I had 14 boosters and not a single AT-ST.   :(

Offline Sithbaker

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Krackbrick Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 20, 2005, 05:47 AM »
AT-AT will be easy, but I`d pre-order one at the cheaper prices.
AT-ST is a bit rough. I`ve seen 5 cases opened and only seen 3 of them
Adam